Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Any Shallow Water / Beach Hunters out there ?

October 05, 2020 07:51PM
When I lived in the northwest part of Iowa I hunted the swimming beaches around the resort lakes that dot the top tier of counties. The really good finds are out in the water less than three feet deep. The next best place up above the water line where people lay on the beach on towels and blankets. People put rings and things on them forget they are there and shake the sand out and the jewelry and change go flying sometimes never to be seen again by their owners. The wave action will will bring up some things but they are usually within a foot of the water line on lakes. If by chance you hut a beach where the lake freezes watch if the ice pushes the sand high up on the beach. These mounds of sand can be very big jackpots it can uncover silver and gold that was lost for many years. Many beaches will be regraded smooth after that happens so be quick to get out there and hunt before they grade them. I will tell you on certain beaches the silver can take a good beating and might be oxidized to black. They look more like pennies than dimes. A good sand scoop is a must. The best method that I had was a old grocery cart or buggy like in the grocery lined with hardware cloth a long handled sand scoop to throw the sand and rock in the you can pull the cart along and if the rock isn't to big you can clean out a lot of the beach very quickly.. That is the very short course in beach hunting a north Iowa lake. I think that many lakes in all parts of the country are about the same. This was a successful method for me hopefully it will be for you.

Senior Deacon
Subject Author Views Posted

Any Shallow Water / Beach Hunters out there ?

UtahRich 68 October 05, 2020 03:48PM

Senior Deacon 47 October 05, 2020 07:51PM

One of the things I miss where I live now, but maybe this week.

Monte 53 October 05, 2020 07:21PM

NWCindy 49 October 05, 2020 04:20PM

NWCindy 56 October 05, 2020 04:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020