Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sometimes the sources of a problem or even the observed distance can be surpsising.

October 07, 2020 11:28AM avatar
Your experience is the first I've read about that type of source, but your post calls attention to several things.

1.. The metal detecting world has a new remote interference source without any direct human involvement. Kind of like encountering some charged-up cattle fences.

2.. You called attention to the fact that, sometimes, using a Simultaneous Multi-Frequency detector can create a greater opportunity for EMI challenges.

3.. You also called attention to the benefit of using some Single Frequency detectors, or using a Selectable Single-Frequency, if provided, on a SMF model can help by allowing detecting in an otherwise EMI plagued environment.

Sometimes I have encounter4ed some really bad EMI in an industrial section of a big town, but picking a different make detector that operated at a different Frequency was all I needed to do and was able to hunt w/o incident.

On another occasion I was enjoying some really good success on a mid-week, daytime search of some torn-up sidewalks and streets in inner downtown Portland Oregon using my White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil. That was a 4-Filter type moderate to fast-sweep detector but handling the site and abundant electrical environment quite well. High Gain and High Sensitivity and no EMI issues. I took a diet soda break and checked my blood sugar level at m vehicle across the street and figured I go back and re-hunt the same torn-up area with my modified Classic IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric coil.

I walked back over and turned the detector on, but it was totally non-operable due to terrible EMI. Terrible! I put that 2-Filter detector back and grabbed my XLT again, and it worked just as it had been w/o any issues at all. Both of them worked at the same frequency of 6.59 kHz, but by-design, one handled EMI better than the other.

On another occasion the 'problem' was Jon's White's Eagle Spectrum Vs my White's 6000 Pro XL and 5900 Di Pro units. He was using the standard 950 search coil and I had a 6½" Concentric on one of mine and an 8" Concentric on the other. All three models were the so-called 4-Filter type circuitry design and we were at an old school and adjacent park in Portland, Oregon. His model was the version prior to the introduction of the XLT. Trying to hunt a particular portion of the site we were both experiencing EMI. If one of us turned our detector off, the other didn't have any EMI issues, so it had to be related to being too close together, and all of the models operated at the same 6.59 kHz frequency.

So it meant we had to move a bit further apart to eliminate the EMI problem. When we separated by about 12' to 15' feet, I didn't have any problems with either of my detectors and they operated at full-sensitivity w/o any instability. But Jon's Eagle Spectrum was still very unstable TID and chattery. Not stable enough for any detecting, so he continued to move on out into the grassy field more. To about 50' but no help, and then to about 100' but it was only a little better. When he moved off about 125' to 150' we were each able to hunt without any EMI problems from hunting too close, even though my two units didn't have a problem after maybe a dozen feet.

That's the only time in over fifty-five years of detecting with a lot of people, even in competition hunts, where a particular detector had such a nasty time dealing wit EMI. Glad you were able to select a good and proven versatile operating frequency.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 07:14PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

EMI sources Husqvarna?

Sodbuster 74 October 07, 2020 08:57AM

Re: EMI sources Husqvarna?

dixiedigger57 39 October 08, 2020 10:16AM

But wait! This should be the season for small radio stations.smiling bouncing smiley

Monte 47 October 08, 2020 11:04AM

Sometimes the sources of a problem or even the observed distance can be surpsising.

Monte 45 October 07, 2020 11:28AM

Re: Sometimes the sources of a problem or even the observed distance can be surpsising.

Senior Deacon 33 October 10, 2020 07:10PM

Cell phone, a device that has never caused me EMI problems.

Monte 33 October 11, 2020 06:11AM

Re: Cell phone, a device that has never caused me EMI problems.

Senior Deacon 31 October 11, 2020 04:03PM

Carrying electronic devices.

Monte 31 October 12, 2020 08:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 47
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020