Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

►► Questions: About "Entry-Level" and "Mid-Level" Metal Detectors. --- Updated 10/14

October 09, 2020 08:05PM avatar
I am looking for personal opinions.

I'd like to know your own thoughts as I am doing a product review of 'Entry Level' to 'Mid-Level' detectors for those just getting started in the hobby, or honestly for the many people, like me, who consider a good 'Mid-Range' detector to be fully adequate for general-purpose detecting without having to spend a lot to buy upper-end priced detectors. I'd like to know how you would answer the following questions:

Q.. To get our kids or grand-lids or someone else's kids involved in this fun sport, what Age Range do you consider a 'Kid' to be? How old do you think thy should be to get them started, a reasonable age so they might understand some adult explanation?

Q.. And at about what age do you think a newcomer might be ready for something like a quality 'mid-price' level detector? Someone who is likely to retain an interest in the sport and wants a quality produced, more versatile model?

Q.. At what age, or with how much dedicated in-the-field experience, do you feel someone ought to be / have to consider a transition between a 'Kid' Level or 'Beginner-Level' and a more expensive or 'upper-end' detector model?

Q.. Considering a Manufacturer's MSRP or allowable MAP selling price, what price range do you think a 'Kid' or a 'Beginner' or a more experienced Hobbyist' should be or might be shopping in?

Oh, here are two final questions:

Q.. What size and type search coil do you think ought to be on a Kid's Detector?

Q.. What size and type search coil do you think manufacturers should use as a 'standard coil' for most consumer-based detectors with an MSRP less than $550?

Here is why I am asking these questions:

Although we know there are some very good values on a clean and decent used detector, many of them are now a discontinued model or from a now out-of-business manufacturer. We are approaching the Holiday Season and I have already been asked by a few people for some ideas about buying a new detector .... either to have on-hand as a loaner-unit or to use as a gift. So I am only considering any makes or models that are in 'current production' and would be purchased 'brand new.'

I'm lining up some detectors now to do a Product Reviews.

UPDATED INFO:

I have now purchased 5 new detectors and hope to receive the last of them by October 23rd. I do have some accessory coils or most of the units, but I am going to be comparing all of these models, along with my own newest models, using the 'standard' search coils first. Then I'll use an accessory coil, if available. I have a number of Test Scenarios I will use, and I'll also be including a lot of the default setting information for these detectors. This will be a Group Evaluation for comparison purposes, and I am going to be evaluating detector models that retail NEW for $550 or Less.

I hope to have these side-by-side evaluations finished and posted here on AHRPS in about a month, so maybe a week before Thanksgiving here in the USA. I know some folks are interested in getting a metal detector, or they re already into the hobby but was to move-up or just add another detector to complement their current outfit. I also now there are many out there who have been doing just fine without any of the higher-dollar detectors, some of which get a bit over-hyped. Both by manufacturers as well as by very loyal forum posters.

If I add any additional makes or models to this GPE (Group Product Evaluation) I'll let you know, but as of today, October 14th, the $550-and-under models I'll be reviewing include the following, listed in order of brand:

Garrett Apex w/6X11 DD

Fisher F5 w/10" elliptical Concentric plus a 'package deal' 4" Concentric

Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack w/9X12 DD & 5X8 DD

Nokta / Makro Midi Hoard w/7" Concentric

Nokta / Makro Racer 2 Pro Pack w/7X11 DD & round 5" DD

Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/11" DD

Teknetics Omega 8500 w/11" BiAxial

Teknetics T2+ w/11" BiAxial

Thanks for your thoughts so far, in both posts and especially in e-mails.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 12:52PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

►► Questions: About "Entry-Level" and "Mid-Level" Metal Detectors. --- Updated 10/14

Monte 102 October 09, 2020 08:05PM

'diggindeep' responds ....

diggindeep 41 October 14, 2020 01:37PM

Back to 'diggindeep' regarding models to acquire and evaluate.

Monte 26 October 16, 2020 03:34AM

To those who've inquired: Yes, I'll be doing an "Upper-Range" evaluation following this one.

Monte 34 October 14, 2020 12:58PM

Bench testing, comparisons using test samples, and some detecting.

Monte 43 October 14, 2020 11:08AM

Looking forward to the evaluation results Monte. N/T

Timbertodd 28 October 14, 2020 01:23PM

Re: Questions regarding "Entry-Level' -- "Beginner-Level' -- 'Kids Detectors?'

jmaryt 41 October 10, 2020 05:07PM

Timbertodd 48 October 10, 2020 09:29AM

"Entry-Level' -- "Beginner-Level' -- 'Kids Detectors?'

UtahRich 50 October 09, 2020 10:21PM

Druid 45 October 09, 2020 08:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020