Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Questions regarding "Entry-Level' -- "Beginner-Level' -- 'Kids Detectors?'

October 10, 2020 09:29AM
Monte
I am looking for personal opinions.

I'd like to know your own thoughts to answer the following questions:

Q.. To get our kids or grand-lids or someone else's kids involved in this fun sport, what Age Range do you consider a 'Kid' to be? How old do you think thy should be to get them started, a reasonable age so they might understand some adult explanation?

Little one in the 5-6 year range tend to loose interest quick with all that is going on around them whether its the playground equipment at the park or school yard or flowers and bugs in the fields. IMO starting in around 10 they tend to focus more. One thing to consider is the weight and balance of the unit versus a kiddo swinging it for a few hours.

Monte
Q.. And at about what age do you think a newcomer might be ready for something like a quality 'mid-price' level detector? Someone who is likely to retain an interest in the sport and wants a quality produced, more versatile model?

After a season of detecting they should have a grasp on the basics like sensitivity , discrimination. At that point I might look at possibly moving up.Like has been mentioned I would already have them armed with a model that would be easy to operate but be one they can grow into.

Monte
Q.. At what age, or with how much dedicated in-the-field experience, do you feel someone ought to be / have to consider a transition between a 'Kid' Level or 'Beginner-Level' and a more expensive or 'upper-end' detector model?

IMO this really depends on the individual. Some will look for the challenge of a detector with more complexity while others will enjoy keeping it simple.

Monte
Q.. Considering a Manufacturer's MSRP and not a discounted selling price, what MSRP range do you think a 'Kid' or a 'Beginner' or an more experienced Hobbyist' should be shopping in?

That really depends on their budget and how, where and what they are wanting to do detecting wise. From what I see manufacturers releasing though, one should be able to cover the bases in a $300-$400 price range.

Monte
Here is why I am asking these questions:

Although we know there are some very good values on a clean and decent used detector, many of them are now a discontinued model or from a now out-of-business manufacturer. We are approaching the Holiday Season and I have already been asked by a few people for some ideas about buying a new detector .... either to have on-hand as a loaner-unit or to use as a gift. So I am only considering any makes or models that are in 'current production' and would be purchased 'brand new.'

I'm lining up some detectors now to do a couple of Product Reviews, some of a 'Kids Detector' with an MSRP under $200, and another using detectors with an MSRP under $500. I'll consider any Forum Posts below, as well as any e-mails for those who want to keep their thoughts off the Forum, and maybe make an adjustment or two in the Retail Price ranges for different categories.

Monte
Oh, here are two final questions:

Q.. What size and type search coil do you think ought to be on a Kid's Detector?

7"-8" round with a open center. This way when you teach them pinpointing they can envision the target inside of that bullseye.

Monte
Q.. What size and type search coil do you think manufacturers should use as a 'standard coil' for most consumer-based detectors with an MSRP less than $500?

Im a fan of the 8" open center coil Tesoro put on their detectors.

Monte
Thanks for your thoughts.

Monte

Garrett Apex, Whites MXT w/ 5.9 Eclipse coil, Whites XLT w/ Blue Max 600 coil, Tesoro Bandido 2 Micro Max, Garrett Carrot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 03:56PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

►► Questions: About "Entry-Level" and "Mid-Level" Metal Detectors. --- Updated 10/14

Monte 110 October 09, 2020 08:05PM

'diggindeep' responds ....

diggindeep 42 October 14, 2020 01:37PM

Back to 'diggindeep' regarding models to acquire and evaluate.

Monte 27 October 16, 2020 03:34AM

To those who've inquired: Yes, I'll be doing an "Upper-Range" evaluation following this one.

Monte 35 October 14, 2020 12:58PM

Bench testing, comparisons using test samples, and some detecting.

Monte 45 October 14, 2020 11:08AM

Looking forward to the evaluation results Monte. N/T

Timbertodd 29 October 14, 2020 01:23PM

jmaryt 42 October 10, 2020 05:07PM

Timbertodd 53 October 10, 2020 09:29AM

"Entry-Level' -- "Beginner-Level' -- 'Kids Detectors?'

UtahRich 51 October 09, 2020 10:21PM

Druid 49 October 09, 2020 08:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020