Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just some of my own observations.eye rolling smiley

October 12, 2020 02:01PM avatar
OregonGregg
Dan'o
I'm currently taking the time to learn the Equinox 800 and find out just how 'special' it really is.

I think you will find it's not that special in ghost towns......all the freq it throws out will not come close to unmasking coins etc. that a Nokta Makro single freq machine will do. Upon release they also released a whole bunch of hype ... or in my town we would say a whole bunch of B...S.... Like a Minelab machine it will find the deep silver in the parks.....prob better than any other machine.......put it in a ghost town and it falls on it's rear. It's really that simple. It might be full of magic...... but throw it in a ghost town full of iron and rusted tin..... you will find no magic in that machine.

I had an Equinox 800 with both the standard and 6" DD coils. I used the EQ-800 w/6" in a couple of ghost towns in some comparisons with my Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD and had the Equinox st up in 5-Tone like the V-540 and with settings that should have been close to the same as well. I left the Equinox at the '0' GB default and didn't GB for the sites, just to keep the comparisons close the similar. I also had the Equinox Iron Bias at the highest setting and used the V-540 at the turn-on 'High Iron Bias' setting.

I walked a specific pathway through the sagebrush on a 45 minute hunt from my vehicle around an ol structure site and back to my vehicle with the Equinox 800, I noted any Rusty Tin encounters that I could see on top of or partially exposed but in-the ground and listed to the responses but didn't move or disturb them. I also listened for any non-ferrous target that was smaller-in-size (such as coin or token or button size) and recovered those. I will say that being a devoted fan of smaller-size search coils, I like the 6" DD on the Equinox.

When I got back to my vehicle I put the Equinox 800 in the back and grabbed my Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD. As with the Equinox i was using the Minelab wireless ML-80 headphones that I really like, so audio reports were going to be the same. I turned it on and walked the exact same pathway. I listened to the audio, primarily, and compared the responses on the observed and partially-observed rusty debris. The V-540 did a slightly better job on the rusty tin with fewer pieces ringing through like a higher-conductive dime or quarter.

Also, I made about 5 or 6 non-ferrous target recoveries that were either missed by the Equinox 800, or they didn't provide as clean a dig-worthy hit. I checked them before recovery and while none of them were a coin or trade token, all of them were a potentially-good target. A couple of non-exciting buttons, a salt or pepper shaker lid, and a few small-size pieces of brass or aluminum targets.

When that ghost town jaunt was finished I was very comfortable with what the Vanquish 540 provided in the way of performance, and combined with it's simple and straight-forward design plus the fact I like the 9X12 DD coil for wide-open areas, I parted with the Equinox 800. I still have and use the V-540 and admire the strong points in performance that it offers w/o a lot of tweaking this and tweaking that.

Additionally, the V-540 and Equinox do provide some very good depth-of-detection and reasonably accurate visual VDI responses on mid-depth to deeper located targets than most of the competition out there. A strong point in their favor. And they work especially well when hunting in some rock-strewn areas that can definitely impair many other makes and models.

Nothing 'perfect' from any detector maker, but I did want to relate to some strong points. In doing so I will add this: When I want and need a smaller size search coil, that they don't offer, and I am working in some very dense Iron debris that is extra challenging, neither of those Minelab devices will match or out-perform my Nokia FORS CoRe or FORS Relic when it comes to get-serious unmasking of desired targets. And I have a few other makes and models that will do well in heavy iron

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Metal detecting is like...

Dan'o 79 October 11, 2020 08:12AM

Re: Metal detecting is like...

NWCindy 31 October 12, 2020 07:35PM

Metal Detecting should always be 'fun.'

Monte 45 October 12, 2020 11:03AM

OregonGregg 55 October 11, 2020 04:55PM

Just some of my own observations.eye rolling smiley

Monte 49 October 12, 2020 02:01PM

Re: Metal detecting is like... Wrong & right Gregg

Kickindirt 43 October 12, 2020 12:20PM

Wrong or Right

OregonGregg 38 October 12, 2020 12:39PM

D&P-OR 58 October 11, 2020 07:06PM

Some comments / opinions back to Del's reply to Oregon Gregg.

Monte 39 October 12, 2020 02:24PM

UtahRich 43 October 12, 2020 02:12PM

D&P-OR 33 October 12, 2020 06:14PM

UtahRich 32 October 12, 2020 06:51PM

A question or two for UtahRich.

Monte 38 October 12, 2020 02:32PM

Questions for UtahRich - thinking

UtahRich 42 October 12, 2020 04:00PM

UtahRich, I generally agree with you.

Monte 28 October 14, 2020 06:26AM

D&P-OR 40 October 12, 2020 02:20PM

OregonGregg 47 October 11, 2020 08:48PM

D&P-OR 49 October 11, 2020 10:05PM

OregonGregg 38 October 12, 2020 05:31AM

Dan'o 47 October 11, 2020 05:14PM

OregonGregg 42 October 12, 2020 05:33AM

I enjoyed your post. N/T

NWCindy 35 October 11, 2020 09:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020