Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Answers = Hours ... but learning any Answer for a new detector or an update can take a matter of minutes

October 16, 2020 01:34AM avatar
For me and my unskilled typing with one finger on each hand doing the work, takes me a good while for some of my longer-than-normal replies. (Longer than normal? Yes, try and figure that one out!winking smiley)

I just finished 2¼ hours working on a reply on a different forum to correct someone's comments regarding Ground Balance adjustment with a Bandido II µMAX, or any other detector. That's reading his post, typing out my reply, then trying to proof read and fix it as best I could. Usually it's a lot easier to explain something in person by speech or demonstration.

But my stretchy reply was simply to try and get across the fact that we can not duplicate all of the good-target encounters we are going to bump into when we hunt different sites with different amounts of different types of trash, with everything portioned differently than 'proper' and at differing depths and orientations. Whew! That reply was a bit different for me.

The first thing we are all likely to do when we unbox and assemble a new-to-us detector is turn it On and do a few simple 'air tests' to make sure it is working. To take a look at the VDI display or listen to the different audio Tone ID features it offers. We can do these simple 'bench tests' just to get a feel of what we might expect to happen when we work the coil over a chosen hunt site. If we do an 'air test' and get a clean hit at maybe 10", we know we might not get that same performance on an in-ground target, and if an 'air test' only produces a good hit at 6", we surely shouldn't expect to get 10" or 11" on a similar buried coin.

A good detector and coil can provide us some reasonably good information of their potential abilities if we do a few basic 'air tests' and then follow-up with a handful of 'test scenarios' with targets on top of the ground. We really ought to have an idea of what they can do when conditions get more challenging. Then, if we get a good feel for how it can handle that, fine .... do one or two simple tests on a freshly-buried test target and see if a new model or a recent update provides any enhanced performance. It's just to get a rough idea if there is any improvement or advantage.

The truth will show itself when we are on a real hunt in real-life challenges. There is no way, as I tried to suggest, that we can duplicate all the challenges out there when, deep down, we know that to find it all we have to recover it all, including both trash and treasure (a word I seldom use).. Way back in those earlier years in this sport I had a few 'test gardens' and found they didn't really do that much for me. What I experienced afield in natural settings seemed to be different quite often that a controlled test plot suggested. It's easy to make a really nice-and-proper test garden where it is clean and trash-free with coins at a measured and controlled position. But we soon discover that isn't how it happens to be most of the time. Thus, I favor reality.

I will, however, do what you do on a quick 'test' just to see if there is any improvement going to a new model or a new coil or using new settings which are associated with an update. But that's a quick-and-easy 'test' before i get back to good old detecting.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 12:17PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Test Garden

DW-BGW 72 October 14, 2020 07:15PM

Test Garden .. My 55+ years of experience suggest this.

Monte 69 October 15, 2020 02:08PM

I would have lost money if I had bet on your answer Monte -

UtahRich 39 October 15, 2020 07:48PM

Medium Rare please smiling smiley

OregonGregg 33 October 16, 2020 04:37AM

Lip Smackin' good dinner -

UtahRich 32 October 16, 2020 02:42PM

Re: Lip Smackin' good dinner -

OregonGregg 30 October 16, 2020 07:35PM

ahhhh - hmmmm.

UtahRich 25 October 16, 2020 07:38PM

Answers = Hours ... but learning any Answer for a new detector or an update can take a matter of minutes

Monte 38 October 16, 2020 01:34AM

Where's Waldo ?

UtahRich 37 October 16, 2020 03:17PM

Re: Where's Waldo ?

OregonGregg 30 October 16, 2020 07:33PM

Which way did he go ?

UtahRich 27 October 16, 2020 07:36PM

'Test Samples' are good. A 'simple' test plot isn't bad. --- Just as long as the tester knows *****

Monte 30 October 16, 2020 04:24PM

Please Do NOT Adjust Your Dial ! eye popping smiley N/T

UtahRich 28 October 16, 2020 04:52PM

Re: Test Garden .. My 55+ years of experience suggest this.

DW-BGW 35 October 15, 2020 07:23PM

My test gardens are over 20 years oldeye popping smiley

Hombre 41 October 15, 2020 12:25PM

Setting up a Test garden.

UtahRich 34 October 15, 2020 03:15PM

Re: My test gardens are over 20 years oldeye popping smiley

DW-BGW 37 October 15, 2020 12:44PM

Re: Test Garden

D&P-OR 55 October 14, 2020 08:14PM

Re: Test Garden

DW-BGW 34 October 15, 2020 08:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020