Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost finished with a Multi-Detector Product Review. ... updated

October 23, 2020 03:58PM avatar
I've been working on this review or a while now, especially this week after the last of the brand new detectors arrived to join those I had already acquired. All of the 'Test' areas were prepared and Test Scenarios' / 'Test Samples' were already randomly positioned. What does that mean? It means some tests are done in almost scientifically-controlled environments w/o EMI and w/o nearby offending trash, etc. Very seldom do we walk into a site to hunt that is previously scoured and free of challenging trash. Nope, we confront most places looking for the unknown, and in doing so, we are going to encounter even more 'unknown' that was can not see but have to deal with.

Therefore, I selected a local vacant lot where there had been a couple of homes that were demolished and removed. One in the past three years where I searched part of it and recovered well over fifty pennies plus other coins and doo-dads. i know there are various sizes of ferrous and non-ferrous debris scattered about and just out-of-site, with most of it being an incidental iron nail here or there since there had been two houses and a garage and two sheds that had burned down or were simply demolished before being burned and / or hauled off.

When I make the multi-model post I will include photos of the Test Samples I am using, and I'll explain why they were used and describe the minimum detector performance I am looking for. I asked for help from a fellow to 'randomly' place the Test Samples out without me first searching the site for any trash. I know there was some there, and if a test piece was placed too close to an offending and out-of-sight object ... so be it! I wanted to do a 'random target' test so that it would be a more natural indication of how different detectors and coils might perform.

And if you haven't learned by now, trust me when I tell you a lot of search coils might work better than anticipated, while others can be surprisingly terrible by comparison. And that's also how the same coil might behave on a different make or model or even on a very similar model.. And never just guess how a detector might or might not perform, either, as they might do splendidly with one size o type coil but not be all that impressive with a different size or type search coil.

And while people can get kind of 'moody' at times, a detector's behavior can get kind of 'modey' and a simple change from 2-Tone to 3-Tone or a change from a fast Recovery to a slower to moderate Recovery Speed can result in a lot of difference in performance. Even to the point of not being very likable at times.

Anyway, I'm going to close this post to eliminate replies at this time, and I just wanted to let everyone know I hope to have this multi-model review finished and posted next week to end October with something to think about. Maybe a little 'treat' for some inquisitive folks without any 'ticks' involved.

Here are the makes and models I am working with:

Fisher F5
Fisher F44
Garrett Apex
Makro Racer 2
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack
Nokta / Makro Midi Hoard
Nokta / Makro Simplex +
Teknetics Omega-8500
Teknetics T2+
White's MX-7

NOTE: I have some accessory coils for most of these, but in the case of some models I only have one or two coils for the comparisons ... but that still gets interesting and will be explained in my final review.

NOTE #2: For comparison purposes, I also used my Nokta CoRe and Relic models that are my 'Spacial-Use Team' units for the nastiest of iron contaminated old sites, my White's XLT, as well as my Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX devices for those who enjoy the "Beep-and-Dig" detectors that lack any visual Target ID or audio Tone ID features.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily-Use Team: F5 w/7" Con. .. Apex w/5X8 DD .. Apex w/NEL 5" DD .. Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
Simplex + w/5X9½ DD .. Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Con.
Special-Use Team: CoRe w/'OOR' DD .. Relic w/5" DD .. XLT w/6½" Con. .. Bandido II µMAX w/6" Con.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 09:08AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Almost finished with a Multi-Detector Product Review. ... updated

Monte 89 October 23, 2020 03:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 48
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020