Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Variables Impact my Detecting ?

November 02, 2020 09:38PM avatar
Location Variables;

Wet/dry ground - Ground conditions impact my detector.
- Wet / saturated ground; Messy to hunt in for clothing, hands, detector and recovery tools. Rusty Iron in wet ground causes significant false signals that often emulate higher conductive targets. Messy to dig. Can impact all target ID's upward.
- Moist ground is generally the best condition for finding deeper targets. Generally easier to dig.
- Dry ground can be really good for finding non-ferrous targets in with ferrous trash. Can be difficult ground to dig. Can also impact all target ID's downward.

Mineralization level of ground - I have a few areas I frequent where the ground conditions are highly mineralized. Areas around some old mines and areas where highly mineralized fill has been brought in to build up an area. In these particular areas, targets are not 'deep' and depth is not a major concern. However, being able to adjust ground balance prevents falsing.

Turf - Homes, Parks, Schools, Parking Strips, etc. Depending on location, minimizing the # of digs and the size of a hole can be important. Being able to evaluate each possible target prior to recovery can be important in some of these areas. Being able to recover a target in turf and leave little or no trace can be VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Especially if you want to come back. Pin Pointing is important.

Tall grass / weeds / sagebrush / overgrowth - Can mess up an otherwise wonderful location making it difficult or impossible to hunt. You can't get your coil near the ground to hunt. A string trimmer can deal with some of the smaller stuff. Browsing cattle or sheep can clear out an area otherwise overgrown. Beware of accompanying ticks.

Clay or hard pan - Can make target recover extremely difficult. Correct tools may help some.

Modern trash - So much is determined by the location and if you think it is worth your time to remove all targets OR sort thru the targets looking for likely keepers among the trash. If an area is producing good targets or should be producing good targets, it could be worthwhile to methodically remove trash each visit as you look for keepers. If you are just there a time or two, it may not be effective to dig all the trash, rather sort thru the trash using your accumulated skills to remove likely keepers.

Rusted tin - A sure sign you've sinned mightily during your mortal life and now you've died and gone to hell. moody smiley Sinister laugh.

My Variables;

Do I know how to effectively use my detector?

Dan'o
coil type, high/low gain, high/low discrimination, coil height, swing speed, overlapping or not with your coil, all metal mode, high/low/ simultaneous multi frequency, tone breaks, iron audio, EMI, cloudy day, full moon etc. . You get the drift..

Personal opinion here Dan'o. Most of us don't have this issue, but, here it is. Which detector to use at a particular location if you have many from which to choose?

The more detectors you have, the more difficult the decision becomes. Which to use? The more detectors you have - the bigger your collection !!! And the more cool detectors you have. But the less time you've had to learn each of them through actual use. sad smiley Spending plenty of time with each and getting to know its' personality will help improve the number of keeper finds you have at the end of the day. AND can also help in making a find or two in those locations that have been picked over for years.

Rich -

Just One More Good Target Before I Go . . . .

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 10:05PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

What effects your detecting - good or not so much...

Dan'o 64 November 02, 2020 07:57PM

Re: What effects your detecting - good or not so much...

dixiedigger57 45 November 03, 2020 10:35AM

Just some comments.

Monte 39 November 03, 2020 05:37PM

Location.....Location.....Locationeye rolling smiley

Hombre 43 November 02, 2020 09:51PM

Location makes a difference -

UtahRich 45 November 02, 2020 10:25PM

Re: Location makes a difference -

D&P-OR 38 November 03, 2020 12:14PM

Hitchin' a ride . . . .

UtahRich 28 November 03, 2020 07:17PM

What Variables Impact my Detecting ?

UtahRich 48 November 02, 2020 09:38PM

Remfire 33 November 02, 2020 09:02PM

UtahRich 29 November 02, 2020 10:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 47
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020