Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just some comments.

November 03, 2020 05:37PM avatar
dixiedigger57
many things. In Georgia i have a couple places that are rarely mowed or not enough, and fall winter weather will stunt the growth and make it easier to get close to the ground and swing a coil.

I used to live, most of my life, in NW Oregon where it rains .... a lot. Fringe areas of many large city parks were overgrown. Out-of-the-way locations could be researched, but so many old stage stops and wagon and trail routes from the valley over to the coast were long overgrown. A lot of potential from use in the latter 1800's to early 1900's, but inaccessible unless you got lucky. If you could get on them, it was first-come / first-served .... and the helpings w generous. smiling smiley

dixiedigger57
locations are tough now. my lunch hunts are pretty hammered out and new drops rare with restrictions of covid.

My any-time breaks are still, tough.

dixiedigger57
Demo lots get fenced and are no goes by local construction companies due to insurance theft etc..

Yes, it's sad because the Republican lots also get fenced off. (Couldn't resist, it's November 3rd!)

dixiedigger57
... a school lot being renovated to a senior living apts. the going thing for abandoned schools in my area. some majestic old buildings where neighborhoods died out . they hauled off half the topsoil to the red clay for a parking lot and the top soil goes to landfill that is totally inaccessible. and nasty anyway... garbage not inert fill. waste of good dirt full of targets.

It's good if you can get onto the property during the transition, but sad the topsoil gets hauled off. I used to do well in both Ogden Utah and Portland Oregon when pubic site projects were hauling dirt away or around and to 'storage.' But those were in the better-days of the '80s and '90s. A lot of policy change sure messed things up for detecting folks.

dixiedigger57
location is a big key factor now. old lots being renovated built over. suburban sprawl on old farmlands--grandpa and grandma old farms sold to subdivisions... sadly.... my area exploding in growth residential wise.

That's why i like quieter, smaller-size towns, at least for living. But miss the bigger areas for detecting opportunities.

dixiedigger57
health some issue but bearable.

I hear you there, and there's more frustration around my home as health is more of a painful struggle for me and, sadly, i can see the sunset in the not too distant future for my ability to get out detecting much. I keep pushing the limits, but ....

dixiedigger57
we have great machines now.... just need to use them more. get better with them.

True, so very true. We have had some very good detectors through the years, and i still have three models in my regular-use group that still serve me quite well. The XLT, that came out in '94, and the Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, that were introduced in October of '97. Everything else I own and use now date from 5 years ago to the very present, and they work terrific.

Like you said, just need more time and better locations to use them.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

What effects your detecting - good or not so much...

Dan'o 64 November 02, 2020 07:57PM

Re: What effects your detecting - good or not so much...

dixiedigger57 45 November 03, 2020 10:35AM

Just some comments.

Monte 38 November 03, 2020 05:37PM

Location.....Location.....Locationeye rolling smiley

Hombre 43 November 02, 2020 09:51PM

Location makes a difference -

UtahRich 45 November 02, 2020 10:25PM

Re: Location makes a difference -

D&P-OR 38 November 03, 2020 12:14PM

Hitchin' a ride . . . .

UtahRich 28 November 03, 2020 07:17PM

What Variables Impact my Detecting ?

UtahRich 48 November 02, 2020 09:38PM

Remfire 33 November 02, 2020 09:02PM

UtahRich 29 November 02, 2020 10:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020