Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The need for smaller-size Simplex + coils.

November 23, 2020 08:18PM avatar
Way too many detectors these days come supplied with a bigger-size ''standard' search coils, and I feel it's a shame. There are times i do make use of a larger-size search coil, but by 'larger-size' I am referring to those that are larger than what used to be a 'standard'-size' coil. those were usually a 7", 7¼", 7½", 8" and 8½" diameter coil. My first factory-produced detector was a White's BFO w/6" diameter coil, and that wasn't out of the norm in the later '60s, either' as 'standard.' Those sizes were what you'd typically see on through the '80s and into the '90s, mostly, but a few manufacturers did stay going to a 9" to 10" diameter coil from about '88 thru '95 or so but usually on their upper-dollar models. Normal was till ±8" diameter.

But '95 to the present, a quarter-of-a-century, it's big a bigger-bigger trend, and newcomers to this great sport started with an over-size coil or some have made a move to them, with many not really knowing a difference in coil design, coil size, and the benefits possible from what is today a truly smaller-size to maybe a mid-size coil. Looking back over your past 7½ years of detecting, just think how many people got their start, as you did, but only using a bigger coil and maybe never having even an 8" coil on their detector.

You had what I consider to be a 'Lucky Start' because your beginning was in a very challenging environment with a lot of debris to deal with, and a good portion of that was rusty tin and a lot of iron nails. But, fortunately, most of that 7½ years was following a good 'smaller-size' coil around and only occasionally opting for what I call a 'mid-size' coil.

OregonGregg
I was kinda always under the impression that maybe they just didn't want to put out a 5" coil on purpose. Given what the Simplex can do with the 9.5 x 5 " coil. If the entry-level Simplex performed just as well as the Kruzer & Anfibio with 5" coil...................geez, doesn't seem it would bode well for their upper-end models.

As it is right now it "doesn't' bode well" because the Simplex + is not anything close to what I would consider an "entry level" detector. When first announced by Nokta / Makro they kept using the 'Entry Level' reference, but their full sales pitch clarified what they had to offer:

"THE FIRST WATERPROOF DETECTOR ON THE MARKET OFFERING
EXTREME DEPTH AND HIGH-END FEATURES AT AN ENTRY-LEVEL PRICE!"

The depth, high-end adjustment features were there in a smaller and lighter and waterproof package. And while it had ample modes and functions but not as many as the top-dollar models, the overall performance was there, but now available at an 'entry level' price. And then they didn't sit still, but added the 2.76 and additional 2.77 updates that make it a very remarkable and impressive detector, even beyond what they started with. I think you might be kind of right about them not producing a smaller-size coil, such as the 'OOR' shape or round 5" DD like their other models offer, but I'm still a bit surprised they haven't.

OregonGregg
I'm really looking forward to how both the Apex as well as the Simplex both do with the new NEL 5" Coil that is coming out for them.

As I have stated in other posts in the past, I usually haven't been an after-market coil user, but that's because the detector makers typically offered the smaller-sizes coils I needed. I have used coil specimens from a few overseas makers dating back over that past couple of decades, and some I liked, but some I didn't. Most of the larger-size coils they sent me were 'OK' but didn't work well where I usually hunted due to size, and the bigger coils meant heavier coils and that made an uncomfortable, thus unfriendly detector & coil package.

Some of them were not built that well. A couple of them were defective / didn't work right, but a few were workable. Of them all, the NEL coils were the better-built I handled, and also worked well. Most that I used, generally borrowed except for one Sharpshooter I had, provided impressive performance, especially when compared against detector-maker's smaller-size coils. That had my attention ... but I'll clarify it was on that particular model or two that they worked well.

Today, things are different. One reason I didn't usually have an aftermarket coil is because I didn't use a detector they offered good coils for, but today we are confronted with two realities. Those two realities are that we have two newer detectors on the market in the Garrett Apex and Nokta Simplex + that both have good standard and mid-size coils from their makers, but no really small-size and efficient coils for the more challenging tight spots and very dense trash.

I'll be working with a 5" DD NEL 'Sharp' coil soon on my Apex, and the Simplex + 5" NEL coil should be out in December or January and I can guarantee I will find one mounted on one of my two Simplex + devices as soon as I can. Great complement to the mid-size 5X9½ DD on the other unit for regular every-day hunting opportunities.

OregonGregg
I guess I had better start digging around in the Bunker and find a few excess 5" Nokta and or Makro coils so I can peel the stickers off them. Given Monte's disdain for Detech, NEL, and other aftermarket coils, I might have to slip the Nokta/Makro brand stickers on them so he will give them a try grinning smiley

No distain for NEL coils. I haven't used one yet I didn't like or wasn't impressed with, and now they are bringing me and everyone else a great selection of aftermarket coils with size selections not offered by the detector manufacturers at the present time. The 5" DD NEL coils we have witnessed so far have been quite impressive, and if the performance is there for the Apex and Simplex +, it will make me even more pleased because these two models are going to make up my most-grabbed Daily-Use Team of detectors this coming year, and with a good, functions 5" coil it will make me one happy detectorist.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Nokta/Makro simplex coils Attachments

Kickindirt 115 November 21, 2020 02:16PM

Re: Nokta/Makro simplex coils

SvenS 69 November 22, 2020 08:27AM

Waiting

SvenS 43 November 23, 2020 09:05PM

Interesting, as I have an e-mail going out tonight to Dilek as well.

Monte 44 November 23, 2020 09:11PM

OregonGregg 70 November 22, 2020 09:05AM

The need for smaller-size Simplex + coils.

Monte 40 November 23, 2020 08:18PM

Kickindirt 83 November 23, 2020 02:24PM

My 1st pick would be the 'Sharp' 5" DD.

Monte 81 November 21, 2020 02:42PM

Better stick with the 5" round coil

OregonGregg 92 November 21, 2020 03:50PM

Re: Better stick with the 5" round coil

Timbertodd 77 November 21, 2020 04:42PM

jmaryt 47 November 23, 2020 10:34PM

Kickindirt 77 November 21, 2020 04:15PM

That's Charley Pride

OregonGregg 77 November 21, 2020 04:21PM

Re: That's Charley Pride

jmaryt 40 November 23, 2020 10:33PM

D&P-OR 58 November 21, 2020 09:58PM

Kickindirt 56 November 21, 2020 04:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020