Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A good presentation by Minelab .... or was it?

November 25, 2020 06:30PM avatar
No, I don't think it was. They showed the more intelligent appearing, less argumentative guy grab a detector, turn it on, and start hunting. Shots of him swinging the coil later let you hear a Beep. All you saw of the product of interest was that he pulled it out and extended the upper-rod & arm cup. Nothing said or done to promote their product.

The other fellow, the chatty, daffy appearing guy, kept chattering away trying to impress the suave-looking fellow by mentioning the fact the Apex he was holding had 8 frequencies (I'm sure he was referring to the frequency off-sets to combat EMI) and referred to the frequency selection, but the sharper character didn't ask about anything .,, he just turned his detector on and wandered off into the woods and got a Beep! ... Then held four coins from one recovery hole. Like that happens all the time.

The Apex guy grabbed what might be a manual and flipped through pages. The sharp guy asking if it had Multi-IQ and there were some frequency comments splurted out from the less-educated appearing guy. He didn't know how to turn it on but he did mutter Multi-Frequency. It seems like if you were going to head out detecting with a buddy to some site in the forest, and you had a new detector that is, quite honestly, as easy to turn on and get into action as a Vanquish, you would have learned how to adjust the Apex and had your settings ready-to-go ... like the sharp-looking Vanquish user seemed to.

No need for a manual, no need to fidget around absentmindedly about the controls,

So, what did I learn from that video? When I watch ANY video, be it a manufacturer's offering to promote their product, or one from a dealer to help demo a detector, or from someone who then offers up something wacky like C.D., I look at them as if I was a Manufacturer's Marketing Rep to see what they are doing that might be selling their product better than the company I work for. And from that standpoint, what did I learn?

1.. Pick some hunting buddies who are a little more intelligent to have some worthwhile conversations with.

2.. Make sure my hunting buddy understands where we are going detecting and also understands his detector for the place we're going.

3.. From a Marketing Viewpoint, the 'average' consumer, or the new-to-the-hobby consumer, might have questions about the Apex because it did look lightweight, and from the comments made it had Multi-Frequency, and it had Selectable Single-Frequencies, and it had Ground Balance, so I would wonder what else it offered? The guy didn't look bright enough to educate himself or me, but what was related about the 'other' brand from Garrett (no, not mentioned) was that it offered some functions / features that might make it a decent detector so I would, as a consumer, check it out.

3.. And as a consumer I could look at the detector and quickly see what model it was, and note that it was not brand-new right out-of-the-box, either, because when he took it out of the vehicle it had the 'Raider' 8½X11 DD coil and not the standard 'skinny' 'Viper' coil. That would suggest that he should have known the Apex better than it appeared and that he understood enough to opt for a larger-size coil like his friend was using in the open forest area.

4.. So I learned there are better-dressed and smarter-looking people and there are some who seem over-hyper and not very sharp at learning or knowing their detector. Fine, that's how it is in this or any hobby. And I also learned one fellow has a detector that appeared to come with more adjustable features and therefore maybe have more overall potential, while the other detector had a collapsible arm-cup and upper rod, and it also had an On/Off switch.

5.. Again, from a Marketing Standpoint, it told me nothing really worthwhile about the particular model, or the features or what it might offer.

What it did convey was anyone from could ride in a nice truck, wear sharp-looking clothes, and they could have grabbed a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV or Land Ranger Pro or Fisher F22 or Garrett Ace 250 or Teknetics Digi-Tec or White's Coinmaster or Treasure Pro and done the same thing ... Turned it 'On' and walked away, only to get a 'Beep!' and recover 4 coins from one recovery dig.

Other than the collapsible rod and arm cup, the Minelab folks didn't really convey any message that was any different from someone grabbing any of the other models I just mentioned, and sure didn't speak about the Vanquish in such a way to sell their product.

Instead, a consumer watching that video should have had some desire to find out what the Garrett Apex offered because it was touched upon. Then, once they read about it, watched a video about it, talked with a dealer or savvy Apex user about it, THEN they might want to visit the Minelab folks and find out if the Vanquish offers what the Apex offers, such as:

► Ground Grab type Ground Balance?

► Ground Phase read-out number?

► Four Selectable Single-Frequencies?

► Frequency Off-set for EMI issues?

► 3 factory standard and accessory coils?

► Broad-range numeric VDI read-out?

Now, don't get me wrong because I own both, I like both (Apex and V-540) and I know what both of them can and can't do in a variety of hunt applications that I am likely to grab them for.

I'm just stating that from a Marketing Standpoint, I felt it wasn't the best video to promote the Minelab Vanquish to a new-comer, beginner or anyone inquisitive about getting a different detector. Not taking sides to promote my likes and dislikes, just what Minelab's own commercial might bring to the attention of some shoppers.

Garrett marking might like it in some ways, and it would be the same if some ding-a-ling pulled out a Nokta / Makro Simplex + and then acted a bit baffled. He could mutter things about All Metal mode or other models or functions, and in the end a shopper might check out a Simplex + and then ask the Minelab dealer about the Vanquish in comparison. The Simplex + has a Threshold-based All Metal mode, variable adjustable Back-Light, Auto Back-Light, 2-Tone VCO-enhanced audio or a 2-Tone Non-VCO audio,and a few other things not on the V-540 or lesser Vanquish models. Ground-Grab as well as Manual Ground Balance is another.

Just my thoughts based on what I saw with open eyes and not from any outside bias. I hope Minelab does better next time and actually promotes their product. And maybe make sure the driver be the one more in control of their hyperness as well as their coffee. H was driving and should have noted the bump before drinking.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2020 07:06PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Mr. Apex & Mr. Vanquish......

OregonGregg 126 November 25, 2020 01:34PM

A good presentation by Minelab .... or was it?

Monte 73 November 25, 2020 06:30PM

SMF - Poking Fun at others

UtahRich 51 November 25, 2020 08:30PM

Re: SMF - Poking Fun at others

Dan'o 47 November 26, 2020 09:01AM

Yes, it was sort of funny, but at the same time,

Monte 49 November 26, 2020 03:29AM

Re: Mr. Apex & Mr. Vanquish......

Timbertodd 47 November 25, 2020 05:13PM

EL NINO 67 November 25, 2020 04:14PM

LOL - .Let the fun begin . . . . . N/T

UtahRich 41 November 25, 2020 04:04PM

D&P-OR 68 November 25, 2020 01:58PM

Well Del, I wonder....... Attachments

OregonGregg 63 November 25, 2020 08:31PM

Re: Well Del, I wonder.......

D&P-OR 58 November 25, 2020 09:44PM

ok serious answer

OregonGregg 76 November 25, 2020 10:02PM

Re: ok serious answer, even better

Kickindirt 61 November 26, 2020 02:22PM

Re: ok serious answer, even better

D&P-OR 57 November 26, 2020 03:00PM

Re: ok serious answer

Dan'o 46 November 26, 2020 08:35AM

Whoa there Gregg . . . . . .

UtahRich 58 November 25, 2020 10:16PM

Re: ok serious answer

D&P-OR 52 November 25, 2020 10:14PM

Del, one of my gripes with Minelab, and a thought or two.

Monte 61 November 26, 2020 04:00AM

Monte: I agree with you in that manufacturers in some instances have put "strange" names/figures on their coils--------but-----

D&P-OR 56 November 26, 2020 04:41AM

Looks like we need us a "Timeout"

OregonGregg 57 November 26, 2020 08:45AM

Re: Looks like we need us a "Timeout"

Kickindirt 51 November 26, 2020 01:35PM

Two shows I never watched and an actress and actor I never cared for. Just opinions.grinning smiley N/T

Monte 36 November 26, 2020 09:05AM

No way......

OregonGregg 43 November 26, 2020 09:15AM

Are you that young? thinking thinking ... Oh wait a minute. I figured it out, I was busy.

Monte 40 November 26, 2020 12:08PM

You have more than 1 gripe with Minelab? eye popping smiley

UtahRich 48 November 26, 2020 04:40AM

I'm sure I could give it some thought and come up with more than just one.

Monte 48 November 26, 2020 08:10AM

Re: You have more than 1 gripe with Minelab? eye popping smiley

D&P-OR 52 November 26, 2020 05:05AM

Re: You have more than 1 gripe with Minelab? eye popping smiley

EL NINO 57 November 26, 2020 07:02AM

But Why?

OregonGregg 56 November 26, 2020 08:19AM

Re: But Why?

EL NINO 57 November 26, 2020 11:53AM

Now, there are some good answers for OregonGregg. N/T

Monte 42 November 26, 2020 12:18PM

Re: But Why?

OregonGregg 52 November 26, 2020 12:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020