Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Right Tone -

November 28, 2020 05:47PM avatar
I think the answer to this has two parts - first - how is the detectorist USING the tones? - and second - how well does the manufacturer execute their 'tone' system?

As for the first part - How is the detectorist USING the tones? I find individual tones most useful to me if they are identifying SEGMENTS of the conductivity scale that I consider important. What do I mean by that? Depending on the sites we are hunting, there may be an advantage to select and recover targets in some segments while not investigating (spending time) recovering others.

The rough term to this is cherry picking. We look for the OBVIOUS signal amongst many signals and recover it hoping to increase the percentage of good finds to garbage / junk. If the area has many targets that in general are not wanted, like pull tabs or bottle caps or screw caps or foil, etc, leaving those behind can save time and make our overall hunt more productive.

Keep in mind that this only works for so long. It you are repeatedly hunting the same area and continually thinning out the good targets in particular segments, at some point you will have worked out the area for those easy targets. This is where we start searching for targets masked by unwanted items like nails and pull tabs and foil. Also, some of the targets with 'junk' readings aren't junk. They could be pieces of gold jewelry, a small gold coin or brass trade tokens or any number of valuable items that just happen to have a conductivity reading similar to a junk item you and i don't like to recover.

It is beneficial to the detectorist to be able to determine which segments are good and which aren't for the area to be searched. I have found that for parks and similar areas using 5-tones with my 800 and Deus is very effective. With my 800, I have a tone for Ferrous items from -9 to 0. A second tone for foil / low conductors from 1 to 11. A third tone for nickels at 12-13, A fourth tone mid-conductors 14-17 and a high 5th tone for coins. I set it up in similar fashion with my Deus. If the ground is particularly loaded with what I have found to be junk signals, I can diminish the volume of the tone i have assigned that category and push it to the background. This gives my ears an brain a reprieve from the audible onslaught in a high trash zone.

The good thing is that I can still hear the sounds from all segments, so I know what I'm dealing with under the coil, but targets in the "good" areas stand out brightly from all the rest of those I've turned down the volume on. This allows me to move through an area quickly picking out good targets.

Another good thing with the 800 and Deus is that I can adjust the break points of the segments. For example, if I'm hunting an older area with the possibility of Indian Head Cents that typically come up 18-19 on my 800, I can have my last break point at 17. Thus all targets 18 and higher have a high tone.

Now this works good for areas of parks that are higher trash areas. When I'm hunting less trashy areas, there is a better option for me and that is 50 tones on the 800 and Full Tones on the Deus. Some don't care for what seems like the infinitely variable tones. I like them and have found they are preferred due to the quality of the audio.

What I mean by the quality of the audio is that an infinitely variable tone has tonal qualities that become familiar over time and experience and provide much more information to the detectorists than just a signal or no signal.

Some areas have such concentrated trash items, like nails and tin, that there is really not much point to having tones set up other than perhaps ferrous and non-ferrous or maybe ferrous, low conductive and high conductive. In these types of location a target ID might not be of much use either. We are typically looking to retrieve ALL conductive targets as possible keepers. So adjust accordingly to the site you are hunting.

Second, How well did the Manufacturer design the audio system? I have to say that there are some audio systems that don't suit my ears, they have audio frequencies too close together making it mentally difficult to separate segments, or have permanent tones that become painful to the hearing over time, and so forth. If you want to hunt for long periods of time with any detector, the audio has to be pleasant. Having audio that you can adjust to suit YOUR hearing is beneficial. thumbs up

Whether you use a single audio signal or two or three or five or 50, find a few that work for you in the areas that you hunt. Make sure you know how your detector handles targets that straddle those break points and if you have a detector with preset break points, that you know where they are on your detectors scale.

Good luck out in the field

Rich -

800 / DEUS
Subject Author Views Posted

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Tone ID options or More Multiple-Tones ???thinking

Monte 124 November 28, 2020 07:18AM

A quick tally is: 3-Tone, then 5-Tone, then 2-Tone are most preferred.

Monte 69 December 01, 2020 08:31AM

when you are hearing impaired..

dixiedigger57 64 November 30, 2020 11:19AM

Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Tone ID options or More Multiple-Tones ???thinking

SvenS 59 November 28, 2020 06:52PM

WM6 59 November 29, 2020 05:50AM

The Right Tone -

UtahRich 63 November 28, 2020 05:47PM

Another very good post. Let me add this one for folks to work on.

Monte 66 November 28, 2020 07:09PM

Albert 57 November 28, 2020 12:57PM

Thank you, your answer makes sense to me. N/T

Monte 43 November 28, 2020 04:22PM

diggindeep 61 November 28, 2020 11:38AM

Yes, I also like multiple-tones.

Monte 54 November 28, 2020 11:48AM

jmaryt 52 November 28, 2020 10:56AM

3 Tones it is.....

OregonGregg 69 November 28, 2020 10:38AM

Funny, but true.

Monte 71 November 28, 2020 11:41AM

Timbertodd 49 November 28, 2020 10:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020