Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another very good post. Let me add this one for folks to work on.

November 28, 2020 07:09PM avatar
Here is a really good video by Steve Moore of Garrett showing a few simple Test Scenarios using the new Apex w/standard 'Viper' DD coil. He'll show his settings used. All he is using are three US coins, all desired specimens to include a Buffalo 5¢, and Indian Head 1¢ and a silver Mercury 10¢, as well as one to a few Iron Nails.

With winter season arriving for many of us on this holiday weekend, we can at least consider some 'tests' like these to perform in a basement, a garage, outside if the weather is favorable, or anywhere in out of the cold. Am I promoting the Garrett Apex? No, not really. It is among my detector group because I like it, but I can, and do, perform these types of test routinely with my other detectors, to include a Fisher F5, Minelab V-540, Nokta / Makro's CoRe, Relic, Simplex +, Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX ... or any other make or model that wanders by for a visit. Always testing to learn more, and, in this case, Steve is not trying to sell their detector. He is simply giving some examples all serious detector users ought to understand about Iron Masking.

Hunt any building tear-downs, renovation work, torn up sidewalks, or out of town places like old camp sites, town sites, homesteads, stage stops .... anywhere that might have some Iron Nails or common ferrous debris? Well, we can all learn our detectors better if we understand Iron Masking, and what it can do. Different terminology can be used in this industry so let's just get some of it addressed here.

A good target, such as a coin, will generally produce a fairly decent VDI read-out with tight VDI numbers (sorry Canada and other places that don't use non-magnetic metals like copper, silver, etc.), and these can be in the middle-range to upper-range of the VDI scale as well as respond with an assigned Tone ID audio report. Iron Nails and most common ferrous debris tend to give Low-Tone Iron Audio VDI numbers on the lower-end of the scale. However, if a coin is located on, under, beside to too close to an Iron Nail or other offending ferrous object, the result is a 'Blended Audio Tone.' This can also be called a 'Compressed Audio Tone' or a 'Smeared' or 'Squashed' visual Target ID and audio Tone ID.

Just watch the video below. Learn what Steve is saying about Iron Masking in general and look at his test layout. Anyone can us any detector and do these tests. No, they are not going to be 100% accurate for all environments, and the orientation of the nails could be turned 90° and make the results different. But ..... it is educational and that means valuable for an avid consumer.

Enjoy Learning whatever you have ....

Monte

Learning about Iron Masking

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2020 07:14PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Tone ID options or More Multiple-Tones ???thinking

Monte 115 November 28, 2020 07:18AM

A quick tally is: 3-Tone, then 5-Tone, then 2-Tone are most preferred.

Monte 62 December 01, 2020 08:31AM

when you are hearing impaired..

dixiedigger57 55 November 30, 2020 11:19AM

Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Tone ID options or More Multiple-Tones ???thinking

SvenS 53 November 28, 2020 06:52PM

WM6 52 November 29, 2020 05:50AM

The Right Tone -

UtahRich 58 November 28, 2020 05:47PM

Another very good post. Let me add this one for folks to work on.

Monte 58 November 28, 2020 07:09PM

Albert 51 November 28, 2020 12:57PM

Thank you, your answer makes sense to me. N/T

Monte 37 November 28, 2020 04:22PM

diggindeep 55 November 28, 2020 11:38AM

Yes, I also like multiple-tones.

Monte 48 November 28, 2020 11:48AM

jmaryt 47 November 28, 2020 10:56AM

3 Tones it is.....

OregonGregg 64 November 28, 2020 10:38AM

Funny, but true.

Monte 64 November 28, 2020 11:41AM

Timbertodd 42 November 28, 2020 10:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020