Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A quick tally is: 3-Tone, then 5-Tone, then 2-Tone are most preferred.

December 01, 2020 08:31AM avatar
Like dixiedigger57, I am also hearing impaired. Military testing has told me that since '82, then an on-the-job injury in June of 2010 ruptured my right eardrum to compound the problem. That had been my better ear until then. There are a lot of audio frequencies, pitches, that I can't hear or struggle with which is one of the reasons I have been a bit picky on my personal detector selections as the years have passe by.

Through the years of being involved in the metal detecting industry I have heard many hobbyists comment that they, too, had some level of hearing loss. Sometimes to the higher pitches and other times the lower range, and it also relates to the audio response other than just Tone ID. Some folks really like a modulated audio while others favor a more saturated audio response. Some like a VCO enhancement and some can happily live without it

Knowing my limitations on audio pitch or Tone, and also considering the other functions to settle on the detector makes and models that serve me and my needs the best, I got wondering what a lot of others prefer and that's why I made this post here on AHRPS, and a duplicate post on other Forums as well as in e-mail discussions. From the various Forum replies, as well as my e-mail and phone conversations, I found the overall preferences is as stated in the subject heading:

• 3-Tone is most preferred, especially by those hunting trashier locations, be them city Coin Hunting or rural Relic Hunting.

• 5-Tone is the next most popular, with many stating they like to hear more tones than only 3, but they don't care for the very 'busy' audio of many more, like Full-Tones, 50-Tones and whatever portion of 99-Tones a model provides.

• 2-Tone came in a very close 3rd place and almost tied those who like 5-Tones. Many of us who like a good 2-Tone audio select that when hunting in Iron Nails and similar wire-iron conditions, or where there might only be some incidental ferrous trash in a larger, more open area such as a plowed field or pasture, or in a wooed environment.

Also, I'm not the only long-time detector operator left out there as I found many who where just fine using a good 1-Tone or Single-Tone detector like we "grew up with." That's also why a lot of the more modern detectors are a comfortable choice for many avid detector users because they will provide some audio Tone ID selections, while others are dependent on a preset factory design and we have to live what they offer us.

The overall results kind of match my own personal likes and dislikes on the topic. I have chosen models that sound good to me and work well where I take them. Just thought I'd share the results.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Tone ID options or More Multiple-Tones ???thinking

Monte 115 November 28, 2020 07:18AM

A quick tally is: 3-Tone, then 5-Tone, then 2-Tone are most preferred.

Monte 61 December 01, 2020 08:31AM

when you are hearing impaired..

dixiedigger57 54 November 30, 2020 11:19AM

Re: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Tone ID options or More Multiple-Tones ???thinking

SvenS 52 November 28, 2020 06:52PM

WM6 51 November 29, 2020 05:50AM

The Right Tone -

UtahRich 58 November 28, 2020 05:47PM

Another very good post. Let me add this one for folks to work on.

Monte 58 November 28, 2020 07:09PM

Albert 50 November 28, 2020 12:57PM

Thank you, your answer makes sense to me. N/T

Monte 36 November 28, 2020 04:22PM

diggindeep 54 November 28, 2020 11:38AM

Yes, I also like multiple-tones.

Monte 48 November 28, 2020 11:48AM

jmaryt 46 November 28, 2020 10:56AM

3 Tones it is.....

OregonGregg 63 November 28, 2020 10:38AM

Funny, but true.

Monte 64 November 28, 2020 11:41AM

Timbertodd 42 November 28, 2020 10:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020