Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A quick comment about my Daily-Use Team.

December 03, 2020 04:40PM
Monte-----Someone must have asked you if you get items free. smiling smiley
Glad you like the F5---but---when I had one for awhile & tested/used it in the field----it didn't get NEARLY the accurate I.D. & it was FAR more EMI prone than my F-19.----------Del-----
Monte
I've already had a few e-mails or phone inquiries about my four main Daily-Use Team units with their mid-size coils and asked:

"Why all four models?"

"Do I prefer the Double-D coils over the Concentric coils?"

"Which of the four is the better detector?"

"If I could only have one of the four, which would it be?"

"Why do I prefer these models to some of the more expensive or upper-end models those manufacturer's offer?"

All pretty good questions, and some could even trigger an argument or two with some folks who have different preferences, but the phone calls were better because we could discuss things with a better understanding. But in the end, all of the answers are quite simple, except one. here are my general replies:

"Why all four models?"... For the simple fact that I like what each has to offer. They are different in frequency and performance, yet all light weight and comfortable to use. Their 'differences' complement each other for me and what I want.

"Do I prefer the Double-D coils over the Concentric coils?" ... It would appear so, but some of them do not offer a Concentric coil so I am limited to a DD. In the case of the F5, they do offer a DD, and I have a 5" DD in my Accessory Coil Tote for it, but I prefer the performance of that model with a Concentric coil.

"Which of the four is the better detector?" ... There isn't an overall 'better' for me. They each have some 'better' strengths, and each have their own weaknesses, too. Some I do like a little better for some tasks than others, so it's all up to where I get out to hunt, how I feel at the time, and what my mood is relevant to how each detector works.

"If I could only have one of the four, which would it be?"... A great question, but it will go unanswered right now just to not spark an argument. Besides, each is a 'favorite' in different ways so I'll have to hunt with them all a little more and then be able to give a better answer. Perhaps one way to tell would be go hunting with me for a day at a few different places and see which of them I seem to grab first or most often. That might be a hint. All I can say for sure right now is that it would be one with a mid-sized coil.eye popping smiley

"Why do I prefer these models to some of the more expensive or upper-end models those manufacturer's offer?" ... Because I have owned and used most of the 'up line' models from these manufacturers and there are a few reasons. Some of the more expensive models were heavier. Some, or most really, had a lot more adjustment features, but in the end they didn't offer better performance than these simpler-to-use mid-priced models. Some had an audio response I didn't care for as they were more 'digitized' sounding and not pleasant, or didn't sound good with my impaired hearing.

The main reason is that in most of the typical sites I / we hunt, these models provide all the needed performance and spending a lot more $$$ didn't provide any real benefit in the way of better results afield.

Now, a few additional comments related to things I have been asked or some have commented on:

Acquisition: Note that three of my *** Plus *** models are the same as three of my Daily-Use Team of detectors, and that's because I have 2-ea. of the Apex, V-540 and Simplex + devices. My 540 was a Pro Pack so it came with two of the three Vanquish coils made. I now have my 2nd 540 Pro Pack so each has a different coil mounted. I got my 1st Simplex + fro Nokta / Makro and was quite impressed with it. At the time, they only had the one standard 11" coil for it, however, on June 3rd I purchased my 2nd Simplex + from a dealer, 'Kickindirt', and that was a couple of months before they ever had an accessory coil or it. I bought the 5X9½ DD I keep mounted on my main-use Simplex +. As son as I saw the intro for the Garrett Apex I was intrigued and I contacted 'Kickindirt' and ordered a new Apex w/MS3 wireless headphones, and I bought a 2nd Apex from Joe off the AHRPS Buy / Sell / Trade site.

So of those 6 units, I only got one for free and bought the others. So, a 'Thank You' goes to Nokta / Makro. I did have a design glitch with the 2nd Apex and contacted Garrett to relate the issues I had and things I had tracked down. I also discussed accessory search coils in the hope there might b a smaller-size coming, sch as a 4½ like they have or something close to a 5". I sent my Apex in for replacement, and in my conversation about the new accessory Apex coils, the 'Ripper', their 5X8 DD and 'Raider', their 8½X11, I was sent those coils for some evaluation work, so I'll give my 'Thank You' to Garrett.

Nothing free from Minelab, but I have dealt with them regarding the GB glitch, but it an be dealt with. I haven't received anything free fro m Minelab. no faulty coils, no missing environmental covers, no free Pinpointer that doesn't seem to work ... matter-of-fact, no Pinpointer at all from Minelab. But I'm Okay with that because I have two terrific pinpointers now .... that I bought. A Garrett AT Pro Z-Lynk and Nokta / Makro Pulse-Dive Pointer.

I also bought my Fisher F5, too, so it wasn't 'free' even though it almost felt like it with the great price at MetalDetector.com

So, just to be clear, I have these models in my personal outfit because they work very well, provide the performance I want and need for places I like to hunt, and for the most part I have spent good money to acquire most of my outfit. Yes, I have received free detectors or coils or other items at times from manufacturers or Distributors, and I have dating back a number of years. But when I do i also lt them know that if there is a problem, I'll say so, and if it isn't corrected, then I don't hesitate to let anyone know.

I'd just like to be clear that what I own and use, for the most part, I have purchased, and whether it is free or bought, it doesn't matter because i will state the facts about any detector or coil no matter where it was manufactured or how I acquired it.

Monte
Subject Author Views Posted

Ending 2020 by preparing for the year-to-come.

Monte 106 December 03, 2020 11:07AM

A quick comment about my Daily-Use Team.

Monte 83 December 03, 2020 03:25PM

Re: A quick comment about my Daily-Use Team.

D&P-OR 75 December 03, 2020 04:40PM

Back to you, Del.

Monte 64 December 03, 2020 08:24PM

Re: Back to you, Del.

WM6 50 December 04, 2020 02:29AM

Yes, Ground Balance can be very important.

Monte 56 December 04, 2020 11:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020