Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A reply about OregonGregg's post.eye rolling smiley

December 06, 2020 08:24PM avatar
Just some comments for those who wonder about how we sometimes determine a Discrimination setting, how we might deal with Iron Audio targets such as Nails, and how we can make use of a good Discrimination design combined with the Low-Tone Iron Audio Volume Control. Some folks haven't experienced using Iron Volume Control, and many Hobbyists don't even accept into the Iron range, so this is an introduction for some folks on what is available, and how some of us use it.

OregonGregg
The lack of Iron Audio Volume on the Fors Core is the only thing holding it back from getting a "its perfect" certification sticker sad smiley ...

The FORS CoRe made a remarkable change, for me, in my assortment of detectors to start 2015. So remarkable that I very soon started thinning out many other makes and models because they couldn't match or better what the FORS CoRe did for me in the sites I wanted it for. Those were not urban Coin Hunting locations, as I had other detectors I preferred for that hunting. It was needed for the very challenging old ghost towns and similar sites with a lot of Iron Nails, other ferrous debris, and that blasted rusty tin.

Some adjustment features have become more popular on models since that time, such as Iron Volume control, that works in a 'normal' manner (my way of thinking about it) which we saw one year later when I got the FORS Relic in my hands, as well as the Makro Racer 2. Both from the same parent manufacturer and both working in what I call a 'normal' fashion in concert with the variable Discrimination circuitry.

The FORS CoRe is a very reliable detector that stays put in my detector outfit, specifically for the very densely littered old sites. Today, it makes a terrific 'back-up' to my FORS Relic that edges it out, barely, mainly due to having the Iron Audio Volume control.

OregonGregg
... but other than that on the machines I have that offer Iron Audio volume ( and machines that don't) I still set them up the same way I was taught.

I set them up to just barely accept iron nails and listen to it all. That way it gives the machine the best chance to unmask a coin out in all that junk. Turn the iron volume down low, but just enough to just hear it so you have an idea of how much iron etc you are dealing with ...

Ferrous debris is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to good-target masking of desirable non-ferrous targets.

The most common ferrous targets we are likely to encounter are Iron Nails. With five-decades of devoted hunting of old-use sites that have a lot of discarded ferrous trash, I made it a point to tackle such challenges using two different Discrimination settings.

The 1st approach was to adjust the Discrimination to just barely Reject most Iron debris. Those detectors, even up to the current times, worked with only a Single-Tone audio for ALL targets, so that approach let me barely reject common Iron and, by not using an excess Disc. setting, it helped give me some better performance in good-target unmasking. Some examples of detectors for this might be a Tesoro Bandido II microMAX which, at the minimum Disc. setting wast at or just slightly above the ferrous / non-ferrous break point, or a White's M6 which accepts all ferrous and non-ferrous targets with a single audio tone.

The 2nd method was to use a good detector that provided a 2-Tone (or more) Audio Tone ID that assigns a specific Low-Tone audio to the Ferrous Range of the VDI, and a 2nd tone or more to all of the Non-Ferrous targets above that Ferrous / Non-Ferrous Discrimination point. An example here might be the White's MXT Pro that offers a 2-Tone audio in the Relic mode, and the Low-Tone Iron Audio applies to all Ferrous-range targets below the Non-Ferrous break-point. Other models would include the Nokta FORS CoRe in 2-Tone or 3-Tone, Teknetics T2's, Fisher F75's, Teknetics Omega 8000's, Fisher F5, Makro Racer, and current models like the Nokta / Makro FORS Relic, Racer II, Simplex +, Anfibio, Minelab's Equinox 800, Vanquish 440 and 540, and Garrett's AT MAX or new Apex.

ALL of these models provide the adjustment to hear ALL of the Ferrous and Non-Ferrous targets that fall in a range above the Discrimination setting, and can provide a 2-Tone, 3-Tone, 5-Tone audio ID that assigns a Low-Tone Iron Audio for the Ferrous-Range conductivity targets. With ALL of these models I can use my preferred 2nd method to deal with common Iron Audio and help deal with good-target masking. That method is to rely on the 2-Tone, or other audio modes, to assign a Low-Tone to all of the accepted Ferrous-range targets. I then combine the Low-Tone Iron Audio with the Discrimination by using a lower Disc. setting to reject a lot of the lesser-conductive Iron but just barely Accept Iron Nails.

Then I can hunt a site and not hear all of the ferrous debris or all of the ground mineral signals, but only hear the Low-Tone Iron Audio for Iron Nails as well as some of the more-conductive Iron, being more-conductive than a nail. All of that is distinguishable by the Low-Tone audio response. And now, with the newer models that also allow us to adjust the Iron Audio Volume, we can reduce the loudness of the targets in that Low-Tone Iron range so we still hear them, but at a more comfortable level.

OregonGregg
But that is with a machine that does " Iron Audio Volume " correctly.

Here OregonGregg refers to models such as the Relic, Racer 2, Anfibio, Simplex +, Apex, Vanquish 540 and others that provide a variable Discrimination that lets us reject the lower-range of unwanted targets, but accept Iron targets from Nails on up. Then assign a Low-Tone range Iron Audio Volume adjustment for them. The 'normal' or 'correct' way of controlling the Discrimination Accept / Reject point, and THEN controlling the Low-Tone Volume level of the Accepted Iron range targets.

That eliminates the models that do NOT provide that 'normal' or 'correct' type of Discrimination control and then Iron Volume control of the Accepted Iron Range, such as the White's MX-7 and MX-Sport, XP ORX, and even the non-display Deep-Tech Vista 'X'.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Iron -- Iron Audio -- and Iron Audio Volume ... Your thoughts?

Monte 125 December 05, 2020 05:23PM

My first metal detector with iron audio is a White's MX5 and it is at a preset level if you wish to hear it all in 2 tone Coin mode.

Hombre 66 December 07, 2020 05:52PM

Re: Iron -- Iron Audio -- and Iron Audio Volume ... Your thoughts?

dixiedigger57 52 December 07, 2020 10:12AM

Its nice to have a Guru close by cool smiley

OregonGregg 51 December 07, 2020 10:23AM

OregonGregg 76 December 06, 2020 09:49AM

A reply about OregonGregg's post.eye rolling smiley

Monte 57 December 06, 2020 08:24PM

A perfect CoRe? Your thoughts?

UtahRich 69 December 06, 2020 01:11PM

Your thoughts? My thoughts ? Attachments

OregonGregg 57 December 07, 2020 08:33AM

Re: Your thoughts? My thoughts ?

D&P-OR 55 December 07, 2020 11:15AM

OregonGregg 39 December 07, 2020 07:53PM

D&P-OR 40 December 07, 2020 08:27PM

Not to worry Del, Just Gregg trying on the New Him.

UtahRich 57 December 07, 2020 01:39PM

Stay OFF my Grass

OregonGregg 67 December 07, 2020 02:06PM

Re: Stay OFF my Grass

D&P-OR 46 December 07, 2020 03:41PM

Stay OFF my Grass ?

UtahRich 42 December 07, 2020 08:27PM

crisis Attachments

OregonGregg 38 December 08, 2020 03:25PM

Stop - stop - stop . . . .

UtahRich 36 December 08, 2020 06:34PM

"I was out stacking up the cord wood today ..."

Monte 43 December 08, 2020 05:06AM

Ahhhhhhh . . . . the warmth of radiant heat off a cast iron stove. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

UtahRich 39 December 08, 2020 06:36PM

No, not 'perfect' but close ... and I believe in white coils.

Monte 62 December 06, 2020 08:43PM

well kinda

OregonGregg 61 December 06, 2020 05:42PM

It's a good one, that's for sure . . . . .

UtahRich 46 December 06, 2020 10:51PM

EL NINO 70 December 06, 2020 11:17AM

El Nino, here's a reply.

Monte 69 December 06, 2020 12:51PM

OregonGregg 50 December 06, 2020 12:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020