Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silver Stack or Coin Jar - It's the same results.

December 10, 2020 11:42PM avatar
Many of you have tried Monte's Silver Dollar coin stack test on your detectors and a few have been surprised when the combination of all those big silver coins (all touching) drives the signal up and over the top and round the other side. (iron) I heard many thoughts that it isn't likely to come upon a 'stack' of large silver coins in the ground while you're out detecting . . . . Ok. I can kinda agree with that, to a point.

Well, some of you know that I recently acquired a very lightly used Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. While messing around with it in the basement last week testing responses over a handful of targets on the floor in the different modes with the smaller 5x8 coil, I happened to pass by a BIG jar of copper cents that I've been accumulating over the years. Iron Grunt. Hmmm. that was a strange response; target ID was -3, -4. I moved the BIG jar out away from the wall and any possible interfering metal, into the middle of the floor. Same result. No denying it.

Settings -
Mode - Jewelry
Wireless Headphones - On
Sensitivity - Max
Disc - Accepting 1-40
U (horseshoe) - On (also accepting -9 to 0 )
Iron Bias - High (default)

Now, while many might think it less likely to find a stack of large silver coins (cache), how about something more simple like a small jar of coins? I have a small glass peanut butter jar of various clad coins found this year (copper cents / nickels / dimes / quarters ) and it wasn't very full, and nearly the same result (with the metal lid off); -7, -8. If I wasn't accepting the iron end (-9 to 0), I would have MISSED this target completely.

While my Vanquish settings are similar to my Equinox settings, there are some things that aren't the same. One is the iron bias. I usually keep the iron bias on my equinox quite low to help with unmasking non-ferrous targets from nearby ferrous.

So i held in the 'U' Horseshoe button to switch my iron bias to low and voila - my targets reappeared. Instead of the BIG jar of copper cents reading -3, -4, they now come up 15,16. And the small jar of clad coins is no longer -7, -8, it is 20, 21.

Now here's another worry saving thought that I had. The Lid. How many times have I recovered the lid to an old bottle AND HOPED there was a jar beneath it full of coins? Many times. There is always that.

Anyway. I was splitting and stacking wood today. Weather is coming in the next week. Those of you in the Northern hemisphere, stay warm. Those of you in the Southern realms, enjoy ! it would be very nice to be south of my current location - maybe kickin' around the gold fields or something. I take either AZ or AUS.

Rich-

800 / DEUS
Subject Author Views Posted

Silver Stack or Coin Jar - It's the same results.

UtahRich 105 December 10, 2020 11:42PM

Confirmed myself

zincoln 59 December 13, 2020 08:23PM

I could have told you it would, just like the ...

Monte 67 December 13, 2020 11:52PM

Silver Stack or Coin Jar - It's **somewhat similar** results.

Monte 58 December 11, 2020 07:28PM

It's **somewhat similar** results.

UtahRich 41 December 11, 2020 08:05PM

From the Oregon Department of Corrections -

UtahRich 51 December 11, 2020 06:38PM

Don't be bias............

OregonGregg 51 December 11, 2020 09:22AM

Re: Don't be bias............

Kickindirt 48 December 11, 2020 02:28PM

Re: Silver Stack

Remfire 50 December 11, 2020 12:10AM

Coin Jar - other 540 modes / EQ 800

UtahRich 49 December 11, 2020 03:48PM

"Anyway, kinda fun messing around with settings." ...thumbs up Yep, that's how we learn.. N/T

Monte 38 December 11, 2020 07:32PM

Deus goes 100%

UtahRich 53 December 11, 2020 01:57AM

Silver Stack - Attachments

UtahRich 55 December 11, 2020 12:14AM

Re: Silver Stack -

Remfire 41 December 11, 2020 12:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020