Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OregonGregg does a test.

December 12, 2020 01:31PM avatar
I was rummaging thru my cupboard that I keep extra batteries, coin cleaning stuff etc and came across an old bottle cap I had found and a couple of pieces of rusted tin.

So I thought what the heck, let's do a couple of tests.

The first test ( see pic # 1) is that I laid each sample, three in all, at the intersection of the two lines. That would give me a possible 4 results.

So the first test was to just simply place each sample at the intersection of the lines on the paper and run the detector over it.

The two machines I used were the Vanquish 440 w/5x8 coil and the Fors Core with oor coil.

The 440 was set up running high iron bias ( have to as that is the only bias setting with the 440) custom Jewelry with only the very first prompt ( far left) knocked out.

On all three samples, it did not respond with a mid or high tone. Each sample came in with a low iron tone which is excellent.

The Fors CoRe running in 3 tones, on the small tin sample gave the iron tone.

On the large tin sample in direction 1 → 2, it gave a broken signal as well as direction 2 → 1 same thing broken signal which was good.

On directions 3 → 4 & 4 → 3 it gave a nice high tone coin signal.

The bottle cap, it gave a nice high tone coin signal in all directions.

Test #2 ( see pic #2) was using the larger piece of rusted tin and a zinc penny.

The Fors Core could not hit on the penny in the 1 → 2 & 2 → 1 directions.
In the 3 → 4 & 4 → 3 directions it hit but here lies the problem. It was hitting the rusted tin in those two directions and also the penny. But the VDI numbers were very jumpy....which is a good indication that you are on top of rusted tin. In essence, I prob would not realize that there was a penny sitting there next to the rusted tin as I was getting jumpy mid to high tones & coin numbers but not a lock on coin number. In the real world, I would have called it rusted tin and moved on.

The Vanquish in test #2 would not hit the penny in the 3 → 4 & 4 → 3 directions.
In the 1 → 2 & 2 → 1 directions, this is actually where the Vanquish shined. It did hit the penny and gave a solid lock on the signal while rejecting the rusted tin. IE: I would have dug this signal.

I was glad to see these results with the Vanquish, while not perfect, it did do some stuff that my other machines can't or have a hard time trying to. I want to give the Vanquish a go in some of the rusted tin and see if I can gain a little advantage at some of my sites.

But I guess it's back to “There is no perfect detector” While the Vanquish can deal better with rusted tin, it doesn't want to handle the iron as well. This really is where the Core and Relic shine is unmasking in Iron. If it was only iron and the absents of rusted tin, not too many other machines will unmask in iron like a Core or Relic. But add in the rusted tin and there goes the ballgame. And the opposite can about be said with the Vanquish..........if it was only rusted tin and no iron ( nails etc)..........................

I think these two machines will complement each other very well.

Anyhow that's poor ol'Oregongregg's unscientific test results for the day.

Fors CoRe & Relic
Racer & Racer 2
Whites MXT Pro & M6
Attachments:
open | download - Test #1.jpg (321.1 KB)
open | download - Test #2.jpg (351.5 KB)
Subject Author Views Posted

OregonGregg does a test. Attachments

OregonGregg 215 December 12, 2020 01:31PM

Re: OregonGregg does a test.

glabelle 96 January 04, 2021 09:47AM

Re: OregonGregg does a test. Attachments

OregonGregg 98 January 04, 2021 10:03AM

Did a little different testing

zincoln 118 December 13, 2020 08:50PM

Re: Did a little different testing Attachments

EL NINO 122 December 14, 2020 02:16PM

Re: sounds like ya have a winner Gregg

Kickindirt 125 December 12, 2020 08:44PM

Re: sounds like ya have a winner Gregg

OregonGregg 96 December 13, 2020 03:07PM

Re: OregonGregg does a test.

D&P-OR 119 December 12, 2020 02:56PM

Nox 800

OregonGregg 120 December 12, 2020 03:25PM

Re: Nox 800

D&P-OR 126 December 12, 2020 05:15PM

OregonGregg 103 December 13, 2020 03:11PM

D&P-OR 100 December 13, 2020 08:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 859 on February 28, 2021