Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SvenS, 'Thank You' for adding your current post and former comments.

January 03, 2021 10:07PM avatar
And I especially like the attachment you included.thumbs up A lot of useful information for some savvy readers or those wanting to learn. And 'learning' is something we all ought to be doing. One thing you mentioned, that many people do not understand, is your reference to the F5 Discrimination mainly being a 3-Filter design, which is something I started using when I worked at Compass and John Earle designed the first I knew of, calling it 'Vari-Filter' on the Scanner series. Dave Johnson used the 3-Filter concept when White's contracted him to make the original MXT. That's why it caught on so well and provided / provides very versatile all-purpose performance.

One thing you didn't mention, but again, many people just don't understand, is that with regard to Ground Balance, is it directly adjustable and functional in BOTH the conventional All Metal / Pinpoint modes as well as the motion-based Discriminate mode. As I have mentioned before, I had a lot of detectors but had thought about the F5 when I got pestered by a few people asking if I tried, and what I thought about, the Teknetics Omega. March of 2010 I bought a new Omega-8000 V4, got rid of their 11" BiAxial coil I have never liked, and enjoyed the Omega-8000 a lot for urban Coin Hunting. I got to handle, briefly, a couple of F5's people had and brought to a seminar, but never took them out to learn them.

They say "Time flies when you're having fun" and since I hunted a lot, found an ample supply of keepers, I was having fun ..... and time flew by. Some manufactures are too quick at times and discontinue good detectors way ahead of time. Examples? White's dropping the Classic series too soon, and Nokta / Makro discontinuing the FORS CoRe and FORS Relic and a few others. The Fisher F5 was almost one of those, but the good folks at metaldetector.com got with FTP and bought out their entire inventory. Trey have had a terrific package with a better coil.

When I contacted them to buy mine, I ended up purchasing several other detectors and coils to do that multi-model product review of what's available for $550 or less. I was talking with Michael about how well the F5 has been selling and he told me they had contacted FTP who was going to be doing a full-production run of brand new F5's just for them. That's a lot of top-quality detectors for an unbelievable price. Since I've been home from the hospital this past week I have used some of my relaxing and mending time to check out all the detectors I am going to be selling, and briefly considered letting my new F5 go .... until I got it off the den wall the other day. Nope, it is staying around.

As I mentioned, I do not like the 11" BiAxial, and usually favor a smaller-than-stock coil for most urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting except for wide-open fields, beaches, etc. On the 3-coil Omega-8000 package I bought in 2010, I got rid of the 11" in a couple of days, and mounted the 10" elliptical Concentric coil and found that I liked it for most Coin Hunting. I also used the 5" DD for sidewalk tear-up and other trashier city sites. One day I thought I'd swap the round 8" Concentric off a Delta loaner-unit to see how it worked, and I liked it better, plus it pinpointed better than the elliptical. I then used only the 5" and 8" coils. It didn't hurt that in the 2nd week of April I found a 1922 silver 'Peace' Dollar which added to my enjoying the Omega-8000.thumbs up

A couple of years back I got an Omega 8000 V4 with the round 7" Concentric, then an F44 I ordered with the same 7" Concentric and really liked how well the balanced and worked for a lot of trashy and brush Coin & Jewelry site, and I kept a brand new 7" in my Accessory Coil Tote. Just this time last year or into spring I sold the Omega and F44 this summer ... and missed using that coil.sad smiley So, you can imagine what I had in mind when I ordered my new Fisher F5.cool smiley I'd be the cool character with an F5 and 7" Concentric coil, and let me tell you, it makes a great combination, keeps the weight and balance very comfortable, too.

And the total $$$$ for this is amazing especially for how versatile the F5 can be !!! I have been doing, and am no doing even more, to drastically thin out a lot of brand new detectors, some pristine and hardly used detectors, and some very pampered models as I am now getting down to: One Fisher F5, Two Garrett Apex, One Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack, One Nokta / Makro Simplex +, One Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and One Tesoro Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX. I am only looking forward the the coming Nokta / Makro SMF unit, and when I sell all of what I am going to list, unless I get a good trade out of them, I will be purchasing one more new Apex w/MS-3 and another ProPointer AT w/Z-Lynk.

Hopefully, that will all be done, I'll be healthier, and winter will vanish and change into an early spring season. smiling bouncing smiley Cabin Fever had already set-in an then I got sick, and that just added to the misery. I want to get out detecting! And when I do, the Fisher F5 will be along on my travels with other Daily-Use Team members.

Again, Thank You .... and check out the F5 .... again.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
325-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2021 10:08PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

A look back in time and we see some manufacturers made a few mistakes.confused smiley

Monte 231 January 02, 2021 03:48AM

Goofs other than by the defunct Tesoro and White's might also include ----

Monte 107 January 03, 2021 04:25PM

Fisher F5 Attachments

SvenS 173 January 03, 2021 07:15PM

SvenS, 'Thank You' for adding your current post and former comments.

Monte 87 January 03, 2021 10:07PM

Coils

SvenS 98 January 03, 2021 07:45PM

Here are a few of my mistakes.confused smiley

Hombre 124 January 02, 2021 04:14PM

Re: A look back in time and we see some manufacturers made a few mistakes.confused smiley

D&P-OR 127 January 02, 2021 11:45AM

Re: A look back in time and we see some manufacturers made a few mistakes.confused smiley

SvenS 134 January 02, 2021 09:07AM

And that's why those who learn it and know it can do well.

Monte 149 January 02, 2021 10:00AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 859 on February 28, 2021