Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WM6, here is my current Daily-Use Team of detectors.

January 04, 2021 11:24PM avatar
WM6
Monte,

as I understand from Sale folder you will shrink your current MD equipment to Garrett Apex only?

No, I could, but I'm not that limiting for places I'll hunt. I will say, however, that I have my 'selection' of Garrett Apex devices which are, as I like to do, each assigned a specific search coil so I can just grab-and-go. I've never enjoyed making in-the-field search coil swaps. Also, while many detectors can handle doing multiple tasks, I have certain favorite makes and models I prefer to grab for specific needs. That's usually based basically on how they handle site conditions, and also based on their operating frequency as well as search coil assignment or options.

WM6
Assume your main move things here is weight, great adaptation to shallow coin hunting (no more willing/able to dig deep holes) and excellent wireless tone ID transfer to headphones?

Correct, it is mainly to get the lightest, handiest package I can, and do so with detectors & search coils for the different Coin & Jewelry Hunting sites I am now mainly shifting to. My health and mobility issues have really hampered my getting around a lot this past several years and I have simply needed or face reality. The doctors gave me a cane in early March in '93, just a couple of months before I turned 44, so for 27 years, this March, getting around has been getting slower and slower.

As for coins and coin depths, that often relates to where we might be hunting and the amount of ground disturbance there has been that can relocate desired targets. The bulk of my US coin finds, as I wrap up 56 years of hunting, have been in the surface-to-5" range. Those from 5" to 6" or so I consider 'mid-depth' and the 'deep' coins are generally about 7" to 9". I have found them deeper, but I seldom find them deeper.

You mentioned Headphones and I'll go a step or two farther and include both Batteries and Pinpointers since they go hand-in-hand with the importance of Headphones.

Headphones: I like my Killer-B Hornet & Wasp Headphones with models I like to plug-in such as my Tesoro's or Fisher F5. But I really like the Garrett MS-3 and Z-Lynk wireless connection, the Minelab ML-80's with their Vanquish 540, and the Nokta / Makro 'Green' wireless Headphones with my Simplex +. Additionally, I have the Garrett Tx & Rx package so, if I want, I can use the MS-3 Headphones with any of the detectors I have been settling into.

Batteries: As 2020 progressed and I thinned my detector outfit, I noticed that several devices use built-in Lithium batteries, or I could use NiMH rechargeable. Now, I do both with most of my detector selection.

Pin-Pointers: I use the AT Pro-Pointer w/Z-Lynk technology with all the Garrett's, and I have used them on models that need the Tx / Rx adapter, and they also sound quite good. The AT Pro-Pointer is my main-use Pin-Pointer, but I also use my Nokta / Makro Pulse-Dive Pin-Pointer with my Simplex + and a few other devices.

WM6
Did you even consider XP ORX with elliptic HF coil as main future MD tool too?

Funny you should mention the XP ORX as I was talking with a couple of people today about XP. Yes, I have owner 3 of the XP ORX devices. Two of them with the new 5X9½ HF DD coil and the other with the 9" X35 coil. I preferred the 5X9½ HF coil. I liked the ORX with that coil for certain types of hunt sites. I learned what some of the strengths and weaknesses are ... for me ... with the ORX & elliptical HF coil, but for me the Negatives I have out-weighed the Positives and I sold or traded them all this past year.

WM6
Best wishes to your full recovery
WM6

'Thank You' for your well-wishes and I am seriously working on a positive recovery soon.

My Regular-Use Team of Detectors: Listed alphabetically with comments:

Fisher F5: I keep a round 7" Concentric coil mounted full-time. The unit operates at 7.8 kHz and that's good because I often like a lower-range Operating Frequency, especially when trying to track down some Silver US coins or other higher-conductivity targets.

Garrett Apex: When some of my detectors sell, or I get a good trade, I am going to buy a 3rd Apex. They will be outfitted as follows:

• Apex w/5X8 'Ripper' DD coil is my primary-use Apex and I really love this detector & coil combination for most of the locations I'll be hunting.

• Apex w/8½X11 'Raider' DD coil for any Beach Hunting, but mainly for plowed fields or wide-open park or sports event sites.

• Apex w/5" NEL 'Sharp' DD coil for working some of the nastiest of trash sites where I might still be in very dense trash, heavy brush, building rubble, you name it.

Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack: Favored coil is the 5X8 DD for general duty, but the light-feeling 9X12 DD can take on more open areas and get better depth in favorable conditions.

Nokta / Makro Simplex +: My favorite coil on this model is their 5X9½ DD open-frame design. A unit to grab if it might get showery, or if hunting in shallow water.

Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX: On each I keep a 6" Concentric mounted 'full-time' because it works perfect for my needs. I grab the Bandido II µMAX for virtually any task but like it for some quick hunts in renovation projects, etc. The Silver Sabre µMAX is my #1 grab-and-go model to thin-out any Tot-Lot playgrounds and similar high-traffic areas for active young folks.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2021 06:19PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte's future MD equipmet

WM6 105 January 04, 2021 08:42PM

WM6, here is my current Daily-Use Team of detectors.

Monte 106 January 04, 2021 11:24PM

A little update on my current Detector Outfit.

Monte 61 January 05, 2021 06:16PM

Re: A little update on my current Detector Outfit.

jmaryt 41 January 05, 2021 11:52PM

Monte's future equipment selections -

UtahRich 63 January 04, 2021 09:56PM

Monte's experiences and opinions of the ORX ... and enticing OregonGregg.

Monte 56 January 05, 2021 03:59PM

Re: Monte's future MD equipmet

NWCindy 51 January 04, 2021 08:51PM

I made a trade with Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

Hombre 70 January 04, 2021 11:10PM

Re: I made a trade with Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

OregonGregg 32 January 10, 2021 07:58PM

Re: I made a trade with Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

jmaryt 26 January 10, 2021 11:07PM

Traded Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

UtahRich 61 January 04, 2021 11:44PM

Re: Traded Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

NWCindy 32 January 10, 2021 07:36PM

Cindy, my ORX feelings.

Monte 30 January 10, 2021 11:55PM

There might be a stash at Greggs house but I bet it He Ain't hiding any XP products there under his bed...LOL N/T

Hombre 32 January 04, 2021 11:56PM

Re: There might be a stash at Greggs house but I bet it He Ain't hiding any XP products there under his bed...LOL

OregonGregg 43 January 05, 2021 08:59AM

Re: There might be a stash at Greggs house but I bet it He Ain't hiding any XP products there under his bed...LOL

jmaryt 29 January 05, 2021 11:56PM

OregonGregg 35 January 06, 2021 12:34PM

jmaryt 27 January 07, 2021 12:35AM

Kickindirt 30 January 06, 2021 03:10PM

EL NINO 36 January 06, 2021 04:53PM

There might be a stash at Greggs house . . . .

UtahRich 52 January 05, 2021 12:23AM

Re: There might be a stash at Greggs house . . . .

D&P-OR 53 January 05, 2021 01:16AM

Kickindirt 34 January 05, 2021 03:30PM

OregonGregg 26 January 06, 2021 12:35PM

D&P-OR 39 January 05, 2021 03:44PM

OregonGregg 33 January 06, 2021 12:36PM

RED----RED!!!!-----Aw, you'se guys 're jest "hooked" on the Red Racer!!----Thar's a hole 'nother world out thar!!! smiling smiley!!! N/T

D&P-OR 25 January 08, 2021 07:09PM

Re: RED----RED!!!!-----Aw, you'se guys 're jest "hooked" on the Red Racer!!----Thar's a hole 'nother world out thar!!! smiling smiley!!!

Kickindirt 28 January 08, 2021 09:40PM

Re: RED----RED!!!!-----Aw, you'se guys 're jest "hooked" on the Red Racer!!----Thar's a hole 'nother world out thar!!! smiling smiley!!!

D&P-OR 27 January 08, 2021 10:15PM

And I find the Vanquish an attractive shade of red. N/T

Monte 20 January 06, 2021 03:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020