Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Monte's experiences and opinions of the ORX ... and enticing OregonGregg.

January 05, 2021 03:59PM avatar
UtahRich
The XP ORX with the smaller elliptical HF coil is one of the lightest, easiest to swing detectors around.

Rich, no argument there. Th ORX and Deus have to be the most compact and lightest designs made.

However, being the 'lightest' doesn't mean all the competition is heavy, either. There are a lot of very comfortable detectors & coils, if we find what seems to fit us the best, and one of my favorites is the Tesoro microMAX housing w/6" Concentric coil. That makes my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX also functional for me as I have lightened things up.

UtahRich
My Deus with the 9" x35 coil is very close in weight and just a delight for me to use especially in steep mountainous terrain.

Rich

I bought 3 of the XP ORX units. The 1st and 3rd were with the wonderful 5X9½ HF open-frame coil, and the 2nd was with the 9" X35 coil. ALL of the ORX units, regardless of coil, worked quite well for some of the hunting I planned to do, but of them my favorite coil was the elliptical HF DD.

As you know I tend to prefer 'Simple' and 'Functional' and that also made the ORX a nice fit, at least in that regard. Two 'custom' program slots, #5 and #6, and I found the easy-to-adjust settings for those two modes (programs) that worked for me in the different testing and field comparisons I did. I did my best to get comfortable with the ORX & 5X9½ HF coil as I worked to see how it would fit in with other detectors I liked at the time and have been busy adjusting my detector outfit.

Like you, I have different makes and models I like to grab for handling and doing different things. Yes, there can be some over-lapping, but I have different detector & coil 'assignments' I consider. And we all seem to change our minds from time-to-time, too. For example, 'Hombre' didn't use to care for anything not Made in the USA .... then he got a Nokta Relic and learned just what it was capable of, coming out of Turkey.

Then when I was at the point that I decided to part with my last ORX, we were talking as I wondered about the MX-7 I sold him because I knew he didn't like it all that much and I was shopping for detectors to use in an evaluation. He brought up the ORX and the visit he'd had with Del & Patsy .... and his experience with the ORX. Deal done and the French-made XP ORX was on its way to Randy. As you can tell, he and the ORX seem to have really 'clicked!' Honestly, I thought it would.

So, for those who wonder about me and the ORX, let me be clear. I really do like the ORX, the simplicity, and the in-the-field results. I also like the looks of the Ford F150 like OregonGregg drives ... but my preference would be a Chevy Silverado or Colorado, if you know what I mean.

As I have adjusted what I wanted to have I actually added a couple of different models since that trade deal, and I am also parting with some units I didn't think I would. But it is reality time for Monte and I can only hope to muster back enough health to use the light-and-handy models I own now.

I invited OregonGregg to come over and give the ORX a try, on more than one occasion. Just no real interest, and that I also understand. I like the EQ-800, sort-of, but prefer their Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. I like the Anfibio Multi, but found the Simplex + to make a better 'fit' for me and my needs, and still offer a lot of great performance. I regretted not buying a Fisher F5 a decade ago, and now I have one ... and it's not going on the auction block, either. It does things some other good detectors don't offer ... me ... for what I want to do, and I can't interest Gregg in even checking it out, either.

Gregg also isn't into a wide-range of 'Recreational Metal Detecting' and, for now, he has some of the best detectors on the market to tackle a lot of the really challenging Relic Hunting sites. He's not a yard hunter or park hunter and has channeled his detector picks on what works for him and what he likes. I think that's the way it's supposed to be, too.

For me, lif is a struggle and I am satisfied with what I have settled on, and I am sure they will get the job done as I get out at a parking strip, private yard, and a number of former public activity sites, like a a dance hall, etc., etc. I'll park as close as I can to Tot-Lots and wherever I can get out and hunt an older section of an old and proven park. But I am left envious when you mention hunting steep hillsides.sad smiley I used to, but I just can'r do it these days.

So for all of us, we just need to stay active to enjoy the sport, and that would include picking where we go and selecting what we us. If we like it, all-is-well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte's future MD equipmet

WM6 114 January 04, 2021 08:42PM

WM6, here is my current Daily-Use Team of detectors.

Monte 111 January 04, 2021 11:24PM

A little update on my current Detector Outfit.

Monte 68 January 05, 2021 06:16PM

Re: A little update on my current Detector Outfit.

jmaryt 44 January 05, 2021 11:52PM

Monte's future equipment selections -

UtahRich 67 January 04, 2021 09:56PM

Monte's experiences and opinions of the ORX ... and enticing OregonGregg.

Monte 61 January 05, 2021 03:59PM

Re: Monte's future MD equipmet

NWCindy 54 January 04, 2021 08:51PM

I made a trade with Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

Hombre 74 January 04, 2021 11:10PM

Re: I made a trade with Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

OregonGregg 36 January 10, 2021 07:58PM

Re: I made a trade with Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

jmaryt 29 January 10, 2021 11:07PM

Traded Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

UtahRich 64 January 04, 2021 11:44PM

Re: Traded Monte for his O-R-Xthumbs up

NWCindy 35 January 10, 2021 07:36PM

Cindy, my ORX feelings.

Monte 33 January 10, 2021 11:55PM

There might be a stash at Greggs house but I bet it He Ain't hiding any XP products there under his bed...LOL N/T

Hombre 36 January 04, 2021 11:56PM

Re: There might be a stash at Greggs house but I bet it He Ain't hiding any XP products there under his bed...LOL

OregonGregg 47 January 05, 2021 08:59AM

Re: There might be a stash at Greggs house but I bet it He Ain't hiding any XP products there under his bed...LOL

jmaryt 33 January 05, 2021 11:56PM

OregonGregg 38 January 06, 2021 12:34PM

jmaryt 31 January 07, 2021 12:35AM

Kickindirt 33 January 06, 2021 03:10PM

EL NINO 39 January 06, 2021 04:53PM

There might be a stash at Greggs house . . . .

UtahRich 54 January 05, 2021 12:23AM

Re: There might be a stash at Greggs house . . . .

D&P-OR 57 January 05, 2021 01:16AM

Kickindirt 38 January 05, 2021 03:30PM

OregonGregg 30 January 06, 2021 12:35PM

D&P-OR 43 January 05, 2021 03:44PM

OregonGregg 37 January 06, 2021 12:36PM

RED----RED!!!!-----Aw, you'se guys 're jest "hooked" on the Red Racer!!----Thar's a hole 'nother world out thar!!! smiling smiley!!! N/T

D&P-OR 28 January 08, 2021 07:09PM

Re: RED----RED!!!!-----Aw, you'se guys 're jest "hooked" on the Red Racer!!----Thar's a hole 'nother world out thar!!! smiling smiley!!!

Kickindirt 33 January 08, 2021 09:40PM

Re: RED----RED!!!!-----Aw, you'se guys 're jest "hooked" on the Red Racer!!----Thar's a hole 'nother world out thar!!! smiling smiley!!!

D&P-OR 30 January 08, 2021 10:15PM

And I find the Vanquish an attractive shade of red. N/T

Monte 23 January 06, 2021 03:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020