Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I ended 2020 with some detector changes. How about you?

January 08, 2021 01:09PM avatar
Staying put in my Detector Outfit are my very proven, trusted, Nokta FORS Relic that is reserved for the nastiest or dense Iron contaminated Relic Hunting sites. My Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, and these to models refuse to let me down since late '97 when they came out, nd they have their 'assignments' as well. And finally, the White's XLT. I almost parted company, but XLT's have served me well since June of '94 and there's no way I can see it not continuing to perform in the places it works best at.

Joining those four models are the ones I added this past year, all 'different' from each other, and all of them offering some form of visual Target ID and audio Tone ID. Alphabetically, they are the Fisher F5, Garrett Apex, Minelab Vanquish 540 and Nokta / Makro Simplex +. If you were to use and learn each of these you'd maybe appreciate why they are all good picks for me and the types of hunting I like to do. Especially considering the search coil choice I have assigned them. They can all complement each other and, narrowing my personal outfit to 8 different models is rally pretty good, for me.

Eight different models, but of them I do have my favorite for multiple coil use and have my main-use Garrett Apex at-the-ready with the 5X8 'Ripper' DD coil, and me 2nd Apex all good-to-go in more open areas with the 8½X11 'Raider' DD coil mounter full-time. I'll likely get a 3rd Apex just for a smaller coil, and right now that is the new NEL 5" 'Sharp' DD for taking on trashier places where I might still want to us the visual, audio and frequency provisions of the Apex.

All my other detectors keep a coil mounted that is all they use. The 5" DD on the Relic, 6" Concentric on the Tesoro's, 6½" Concentric on the XLT, 7" Concentric on the F5, 5X9½ DD on the Simplex +, and 5X8 DD on the Vanquish 540. I tried a number of other makes and models during the course of 2020, but I am quite confident I have settled on those that will make me the happiest, and that's important.

As we all wait for some improving spring-time weather, I know I can use the shut-in time to learn mode bout what I settled on, and I sure hope everyone else is doing the same. Learning their new-to-them detectors while hoping spring's arrival comes soon. The only model that will likely interest me will be the Nokta Makro SMF offering when it is introduced.

Were there any detectors that caught your interest last year? Time now to start getting ready to use them as 2021 has already started for some of our AHRPS Forum participants.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
325-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

I ended 2020 with some detector changes. How about you?

Monte 152 January 08, 2021 01:09PM

One minor tweak . . . . a new loaner.

UtahRich 176 January 09, 2021 12:58AM

Rich, your main line-up and your 'loaner unit.'

Monte 106 January 09, 2021 08:57AM

Re: One minor tweak . . . . a new loaner.

jmaryt 129 January 09, 2021 01:03AM

And I can't forget new search coils, either.

Monte 106 January 08, 2021 02:32PM

Re: I ended 2020 with some detector changes. How about you?

diggindeep 98 January 08, 2021 02:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 859 on February 28, 2021