Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich, your main line-up and your 'loaner unit.'

January 09, 2021 08:57AM avatar
UtahRich
Not many changes Monte. I don't have quite the variety of Andrew, but we seem to have a similar line-up. My Equinox 800, XP Deus. My lone addition for the year was a loaner detector that started off as a Garrett Apex and morphed into a Minelab Vanquish 540.

Still using my Garrett and XP pinpointers.

Rich -

Curious how you rate the Equinox 800 and Deus now? Do you favor one much more than the other? Even draw? Special assignments for either of them?

I don't think you've had much opportunity to get out with the Vanquish 540 yet, right? I have mine and I like it .... for some applications ..., but while the Apex has its weaknesses here and there, I have found it to be a rather decent general-purpose detector for what it is and for where I have been able to use it so far. One thing that helped was mounting the two 'accessory' coils, the 5X8 'Ripper' for general use, and the 8½X11 'Raider' for working more open areas with limited target encounters.

For what hunting I'm winding down to I believe I have a decent assortment of functional tools for the tasks I'll take on. I do have the Simplex + should I be likely to get wet or want to do a freshwater beach or something, and it is more detector than a lot of folks might think. And the new Fisher F5 is kind of added 'for fun' to tinker with, but it will also works well for some Coin & Jewelry Hunting with the round 7" Concentric coil. Maybe it's also because I'm retired and disabled and don't have things like 'work' and needs around home to do that allows me more free-time to tinker around? Plus I'll hunt more places where I can enjoy my long-time favorites, the XLT and two Tesoro's.

A couple more months and spring will arrive and I look forward to reading your reports on the field performance of the Vanquish 540. It's not the Equinox, but it can be surprisingly more like ti for quite a few uses, in a simpler-to-use design. When I had the Equinox 800 lat April it was OK, but there was one thing I really missed about it. Not having that Vanquish 5X8 DD coil.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2021 08:57AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

I ended 2020 with some detector changes. How about you?

Monte 73 January 08, 2021 01:09PM

One minor tweak . . . . a new loaner.

UtahRich 66 January 09, 2021 12:58AM

Rich, your main line-up and your 'loaner unit.'

Monte 46 January 09, 2021 08:57AM

Re: One minor tweak . . . . a new loaner.

jmaryt 54 January 09, 2021 01:03AM

And I can't forget new search coils, either.

Monte 42 January 08, 2021 02:32PM

Re: I ended 2020 with some detector changes. How about you?

diggindeep 47 January 08, 2021 02:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020