Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Blanking' circuitry concept and old-model 'tinkering.'

January 14, 2021 11:13AM avatar
dixiedigger57
Yes the Royal Sabre of Tesoro had a blanker, i tried one a few times but was still a newbie to detecting and had not quite yet got the hang of even a proper GB etc right. i know several who swear by the blanker but they hunted in a different time and place without our modern aluminum trash.

In the early day of a 'surface-blanking' design, most people using it were urban Coin Hunters. The 'concept' was to 'blank' or 'ignore' or 'reject' the shallower targets that could be pull-tabs or bottle caps and such, with the thinking that the detector would 'blank' and not produce a response to the shallower, stronger-responding trash and they could search for the deeper and older targets that would have weaker signals.

The problems were trying to adjust to 'blank' to a certain depth from the surface, and at the same time give a positive response to a deeper and weaker-sounding target. So you adjust the 'surface blanker' to ignore and not respond to most targets in the 1" or 2" depth range with a loud or strong response. So you set out searching for any mid-depth and deeper coins that might be older. And at 4" or 5" is a big US Morgan Silver dollar. It's old, and it's deep, however, due to its size and higher conductivity it responds with a loud, strong audio .... kind of like a smaller coin in the 1" to 2' 'surface-blanker' range, and the detector ignores it or responding to it because the signal appears to be shallower trash.

It didn't take long for savvy detector users to learn those big $1 and 50¢ coins, and even some 25¢ coins could be missed due to a 'surface-blanking' design so they stopped using it. I know I never cared for the concept.

dixiedigger57
Monte if you were to do a tinker, or use an older unit with some depth, what oldie goldie would you pick?

I enjoyed using the Garrett Deepseeker and GroundHog detectors and they got decent depth .... using their Threshold-based All Metal modes. But the TR-Discriminators didn't get great depth-of-detection. Besides, I have never been into'depth' because most good targets are not deep in most locations I frequent.

As for older detectors, I wouldn't want 'depth' but I would like to have seen better designing and functional performance of one model, and that was the Tesoro Euro Sabre. If they could have made it work well for audibly classifying Iron trash, that would have been good. But we have too many modern detectors that do that, better, too, than the earlier design concept.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

old RadioShack/Bounty Hunter units

dixiedigger57 85 January 13, 2021 04:12PM

Just some thoughts on old Radio Shack / Bounty Hunter models.

Monte 80 January 13, 2021 07:06PM

Re: Just some thoughts on old Radio Shack / Bounty Hunter models.

jmaryt 61 January 13, 2021 11:59PM

Jack Gifford at Tesoro also used that design.

Monte 68 January 14, 2021 01:17AM

Re: Jack Gifford at Tesoro also used that design.

jmaryt 59 January 14, 2021 08:11AM

Re: Jack Gifford at Tesoro also used that design.

dixiedigger57 61 January 14, 2021 09:00AM

'Blanking' circuitry concept and old-model 'tinkering.'

Monte 55 January 14, 2021 11:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 848 on February 17, 2021