Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rise and fall of prices on the used detector market.

February 01, 2021 10:08PM avatar
Used detectors have been pretty slow - and prices generally weak. On ebay, prices will often start off higher than imagined and IF there is no response from bidders or buyers, the auction clock expires and the item gets relisted, sometimes with a lower starting price or buy it now price, sometimes not. You may already be aware of this.

Before I listed something for auction on ebay, i generally did some homework on ebay as well as the forum CLASSIFIED sections, to see what prices were being paid for certain detectors. Sometimes there was a pristine condition detector that bidders fought over and the final price was more reflective of a bidding war than the common price usually associated with that model.

Sellers may be using a sold item that was part of a bidding war as a reference for a starting place on a new auction item thinking that what they have will bring that same high price.. But again, that is an auction item and is usually given a starting bid below the final selling price. Some sellers are frightened of having an item on auction and the final auction price being much lower than expected.

If you're Buying items on ebay (Buy it now) or bidding on items that have a starting price above where you think the final price should be, don't bid / buy it. Wait.

The sellers are looking for somebody willing to buy it at a high price. If that's not you, than move on to something else. Some sellers are more interested in making MONEY on the item than selling it quick and have all the time in the world to wait for the right buyer to come along.

I generally have better luck buying detectors at a reasonable price on the forums than eBay. I've found those selling on the forums generally motivated for a detector to move along once they post it for sale.

I think you bought your detectors at an excellent price. Lower than usual. thumbs up Will that happen again ?

Best of luck out there.

rich

----------------------------------------------------

Just One More Good Target Before I Go . . . .

800  /  Deus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 10:21PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

Update and question

Senior Deacon 58 February 01, 2021 08:57PM

Rise and fall of prices on the used detector market.

UtahRich 47 February 01, 2021 10:08PM

One additional thought - shopping during high tide.

UtahRich 41 February 01, 2021 11:15PM

Re: One additional thought - shopping during high tide.

D&P-OR 40 February 01, 2021 11:35PM

You bought into those machines at the right timeWhite's Electronics

Hombre 55 February 01, 2021 09:36PM

Re: You bought into those machines at the right timeWhite's Electronics

jmaryt 48 February 01, 2021 11:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Guests: 848 on February 17, 2021