Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you j.t.

August 08, 2021 11:00PM avatar
jmaryt
I feel that I am adequately equipped with the Tesoro "Mojave" with 7" thin concentric coil it separates very well in iron, and gets about 7" in depth I use it mainly for "side walk easements"..the vanquish 540 with 8" and 12" coils i use for all other applications, especially large, very old parks it offers very accurate i.d,along with exceptional depth.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Full-time, hot, cold or in-between, I keep a Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric in my vehicle. Then, depending on where I plan to go hunt, I load two or three other detectors based on the types of sites I plan to visit and their typical challenges. The Silver Sabre µMAX is always a first-grab for working tot-lots, sidewalk tear-outs, and some renovation. Then I'll know if I want to use something different at the construction sites, renovation work, etc.

For those who have made a visit to some of our WTHO's and worked some of the very Iron contaminated ghost towns we have hunted in Oregon and Nevada, they know that a good Tesoro with a smaller-size coil is also very capable there, but I do have my selected models that excel in the really nasty conditions. Mainly the Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' DD and Relic w/5" DD. The vast amount of ferrous debris is a wake-up for most 'average' urban Coin Hunters getting their first taste of "hunting in iron".. Iron Nails of all sizes and bent shapes, rusty tin, even to very small shards of decaying cans, in a dense array, and all sorts of lost or discarded ferrous and non-ferrous 'stuff'.

The Apex w/'Ripper' DD and ORX w/5X9½ DD do quite well with those mid-size coils in most of the tougher conditions but are the better picks for the fringe areas or open areas such as plowed fields, rangeland or ranchland, less-littered areas around old town sites, pioneer and military encampments, and some regular-use places such as dance hall, school and church sites in rural areas They also work fine for the bulk of my urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, such as parking strips, private yards, other easements, sports fields, etc., etc.

I only keep a somewhat larger coil, the 'Raider', on a 2nd Apex. That 8½X11 DD gives me a little better coverage and slightly more depth in sparse-target areas where it works well. Most coin-sized targets are usually not all that deep, but in some locations I do snag one or two in the over 5" to about an honest 8"-9" depth, and do so with my mid-size coils and the 'Raider'.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact
Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

2 Garrett, 2 Nokta, 2 Tesoro, 1 XP. I'm well outfitted and

Monte 210 August 01, 2021 09:18AM

fun and the best for MY USE and budget

dixiedigger57 100 August 09, 2021 09:34AM

Back to you, and we share some similar thoughts.

Monte 89 August 09, 2021 12:07PM

yep just about the same page

dixiedigger57 92 August 09, 2021 04:14PM

Re: 2 Garrett, 2 Nokta, 2 Tesoro, 1 XP. I'm well outfitted and

SvenS 99 August 07, 2021 08:37PM

Re: 2 Garrett, 2 Nokta, 2 Tesoro, 1 XP. I'm well outfitted and

jmaryt 104 August 07, 2021 04:58PM

I made a small change in my detector and coil outfit.

Monte 102 August 07, 2021 04:45AM

thinking ... and then I did some hunting and changed my mind.

Monte 120 August 08, 2021 04:40AM

Re: thinking ... and then I did some hunting and changed my mind.

jmaryt 93 August 08, 2021 06:02PM

Back to you j.t.

Monte 98 August 08, 2021 11:00PM

Ahhhh, the comforts of home

UtahRich 77 August 09, 2021 11:12PM

Re: Ahhhh, the comforts of home

jmaryt 98 August 10, 2021 07:17AM

Yes, coil choices are like the comforts of home.

Monte 82 August 10, 2021 06:41AM

Re: Back to you j.t.

jmaryt 67 August 09, 2021 09:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021