Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes, coil choices are like the comforts of home.

August 10, 2021 06:41AM avatar
UtahRich
Monte,

I bet with the decades of time you have behind the control box of detectors with small coils on them, you will never really feel comfy with an 11" standard out there in front of you. Even if it is the coil that would seem to be an optimal choice. It will feel too big and unwieldy, too heavy; not right.

My first few home-built detectors called for making an 8" diameter search coil. That was back in '65, '66 and '67. But in the summer of '68 my brother Ed & I started using our first factory-produced detector which was a White's Ghost Towner BFO and it came standard with a round, red, wooden search coil that is 6" in diameter. I still have one of those old coils in my Seminar Tote with another old Garrett coil to show attendees what we used to have to work with.

The detector and coil felt better, balanced batter, and worked a bit better than what I had been using. Also, that was the early era of this great metal detecting and Coin Hunting craze when coins were so plentiful it is difficult to try and describe the experience to newcomers to this sport. The smaller coils helped to work in and around the many targets, and also in and around brush, picnic benches and tables, playground equipment, demolished houses, etc.

Most 'standard' search coils were in the 7" to 8" size range, such as the 7" Concentric on a Garrett Ground Hog and same-size on their American S2 TR-Disc. models I was using most of the time from '77 to '83. Earlier I had some *" coils on a few detectors, but preferred smaller, to include the 6" DD coils on thee earlier Compass 77B and Coin Hustler devices. I '83 Teknetics came on the scene with their Coin Computers featuring the first Target ID, and they sported a 7¼" Concentric coil as standard. That same year I was won over by Tesoro's Inca with the slow-motion, quick-response performance, but I swapped it's 8" coil for the 7" Concentric off my Mayan.

When I worked for Compass I still used my Tesoro's and a Garrett, and while the Compass detectors came with an 8" coil, I would most often be walking behind one with a 6" coil mounted. While there, White's made a change to a bigger-size standard coil for their main models, and that was the 950 Concentric. That was the 'standard' coil on their XLT and XL Pro models, and MXT and MXT Pro models as well. I very seldom used that coil. For wide-open areas I would use their thin-style 8" Concentric, but 90% of the time it was their 6½" Concentric being used on all those models.

Ghost towns, renovation sites, places with dense debris and heavily choked with sagebrush or even over-grown urban areas have felt "like home" to me for many decades, and because of that, smaller size coils have also felt "at home" as well.

UtahRich
I have the opposite thing going on. For decades, I've used larger coils and have become so accustomed to them, that using a 5, 6, or even 8" coil seems . . . . small. Even when they are the most obvious choice, like at Lonesome Arch or similar.

While I have thoroughly enjoyed detecting around the old ghost towns, I'm overcome by a feeling a comfort and confidence when I step into the yard of an old home or an old park along with my detector and a larger 11" coil or similar.

I know what you are saying, and while I do have one detector with a larger-size coil that I do use from time-to-time, I simply prefer smaller-size coils for better weight and balance and to better work the confines of so many places I search. When the Simplex + came out with the round 11" DD coil I did hunt with it in open parks and a couple of vacated yards and it worked pretty well. However, as soon as they introduced a smaller-size coil, the 5X9½ DD has stayed mounted full-time.

UtahRich
So when are you coming back to Oregon ?

Going back to visit, or do you think I might be moving back to Oregon? Hummm, things I have pondered myself from time-to-time.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact
Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

2 Garrett, 2 Nokta, 2 Tesoro, 1 XP. I'm well outfitted and

Monte 210 August 01, 2021 09:18AM

fun and the best for MY USE and budget

dixiedigger57 100 August 09, 2021 09:34AM

Back to you, and we share some similar thoughts.

Monte 90 August 09, 2021 12:07PM

yep just about the same page

dixiedigger57 92 August 09, 2021 04:14PM

Re: 2 Garrett, 2 Nokta, 2 Tesoro, 1 XP. I'm well outfitted and

SvenS 99 August 07, 2021 08:37PM

Re: 2 Garrett, 2 Nokta, 2 Tesoro, 1 XP. I'm well outfitted and

jmaryt 105 August 07, 2021 04:58PM

I made a small change in my detector and coil outfit.

Monte 102 August 07, 2021 04:45AM

thinking ... and then I did some hunting and changed my mind.

Monte 120 August 08, 2021 04:40AM

Re: thinking ... and then I did some hunting and changed my mind.

jmaryt 93 August 08, 2021 06:02PM

Back to you j.t.

Monte 99 August 08, 2021 11:00PM

Ahhhh, the comforts of home

UtahRich 77 August 09, 2021 11:12PM

Re: Ahhhh, the comforts of home

jmaryt 98 August 10, 2021 07:17AM

Yes, coil choices are like the comforts of home.

Monte 82 August 10, 2021 06:41AM

Re: Back to you j.t.

jmaryt 67 August 09, 2021 09:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021