Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dealing with very wet, soaked, dirt / sand / etc..

September 16, 2021 06:28PM avatar
dixiedigger57
we are getting the remnants of Nicholas in Mid State Georgia. ground is sloshed. pure boggy. inches of rain., almost 5 locally.

Sorry to hear it's a bit extra wet over your way. Hopefully it won't last long and conditions will improve. Both for just day-to-day living as well as trying to enjoy some detecting time.

dixiedigger57
got out at lunch between rains at just cut short grass park....

I separated this comment because some readers might benefit from it. It's great to have short, cut crass for Coin Hunting, however, some folks might think that's great because they can work the search coil very close to, or even scrub it, right on top of the ground. DON'T!

Most of the time, using the modern, high-powered and high-performance detectors we've had the past two or three decades (compared with those early TR, TR-Disc. and VLF/TR-Disc. detectors),we find ourselves needing to be a little more alert to using a 'proper' search coil-to-ground relationship. For those who have read their User Manuals completely, from cover-to-cover, most savvy manufactures will write a good manual and include the reminder that a search coil ought to be operated ±2" off-the-ground. Not on or too close to the ground. Here are some reasons why:

• To achieve greater depth or target detection than we used to, the operating or Transmit Sensitivity is higher and hat will have an effect on even smaller or less-conductive objects or substances.

• Many detectors are operating at a much higher 'Gain' than we used to and that makes for a greater Receive signal to process. Often a higher gain setting will result is some noisy behavior and will need to be reduced if the signal is a problem.

• Search coils used will also need to be considered, and as we have seen a trend since about 1988, many manufacturers have-gone or are-going to a larger-size 'standard' coil. The problem here is that a larger coil is going to "see" or be influenced by more ground. If ground conditions are a problem, that increases the challenge we have to consider and adjust for.

• Search coil 'type' can also add to the problems, between Concentric or Double-D, based upon the coil size, shape, and the detector circuitry that's having to send, receive and process the signals.

• Most detectors today also have an 'Over-load' or 'Back-reading' issue to be aware of, and we have more Over-load or Back-reading problem hen the search coil is too close to the ground. That's due to the high-powered EMF and the over-loading caused by saturation that occurs when the ground is too close to the search coil. With most detectors I have used in the past three decades, that can occur when a coil is about 1" or so from the ground, but more-often-than-not we will note an Over-load or Back-reading issue that also has a negative impact on depth and target detection when a coil is operated perhaps 1½" to 2½" from the ground surface. Again, it is dependent upon the detector circuitry design and / or the detector settings and / or the search coil size, shape and type being used.

• Also, detector users need to know what their detector does when it Over-loads. Some will produce a loud or unusual audio to alert them to raise the search coil. Sadly, some makes and models do not have an Over-load audio but instead, they simply shut-up and run silent which leaves the operator thinking all-is-well when, in reality, all-isn't!

• And finally, we can't forget that some ground mineral make-up is going to be more mineralized or more challenging for some detectors and coils.

Therefore, always be aware of the ground make-up, the coil and detector used, the settings used, and maintain a good, functional coil-to-ground search height ... and keep it as uniform and consistent as possible on the side-to-side sweeps.

dixiedigger57
my question-- there is emi-- fountains were on.. just remembered... but does wet ground interfere with certain machines, make them TOOO sensitive and positive?

Yes, it can. Again, there are several reasons why and factors to consider, such as:

Water is conductive and can enhance the conductivity of an energized object. Don't forget, the ground can be 'conductive' as well, sometimes for the good and sometimes or the bad.

The amount and density of water will also have a good or bad effect on the type of ground you are hunting in. Let's consider so many places where you have a 'layered' type of ground in the upper 12" or so. Perhaps a sandy mix in the upper 3" to 4" and then a different type of mineralized dirt for the next 3" or 4", and finally that's all on top of the very firm, solid, and much more iron mineralized dirt. That would be what we might encounter on any nice, average, summer or fall day when it has been nice and dry for a while. The different layers of conductivity are things we have to take into consideration when we select a coil and detector to best handle THAT environment.

Now, what if the season and weather are unchanged but you relocate to a place where those three 'layers' and ground mineralization and conductive properties are switched around? Different challenges to deal with and you might get a little better depth and small-target performance, or you might lose a little depth and struggle to get good small-target performance.

Now, let's add a 3rd ingredient to what we are going to dish up as a challenge, and that ingredient is - - - water.

If you had a light shower or perhaps a sprinkler system watered the lawn but didn't deposit a very dense, soaking amount of water, you might have very little negative effect on your day-to-day detecting performance. But what if there was a heavy rain or a long-period of watering and the ground was soaked, and I mean well saturated, down to the upper 3"-4" depth? Well, depending upon the ground mineral make-up in that upper few inches, it could change the mineral effect or the conductive behavior of that 'layer' of ground, if a desired target was within that zone. Might help you out on that particular hunt. But if the water saturates deeper, and I mean a good, soaking saturation and not just a damp condition, the different 'layers' of mixed mineralized ground could be changed for the worse.

And remember, while water is conductive or could enhance conductivity, it might seem advantageous if there are some desired non-ferrous coins located and stabilized within that saturated layer of ground. It's possible to get a slightly enhanced response from them .... however ....

If there are Iron Nails or any other ferrous-based objects also in that will saturated environment, things get ugly because they, too, will have similar enhanced conductivity, and since Iron has a greater effect on an EMF than Non-Iron, you could end up with more negative effect on the field and thus more good-target masking. As well as more noise, chatter, and other nasty behavior to deal with.

I could go on but I hope readers got the points i am trying to share.

dixiedigger57
The Shadow is preset GB so there is only sens and disc to operate. it was chatty, and i wonder if the super saturated grounds picking up more than normal underground from old electrical pumping fountain system.

Your Shadow X2 does have a preset or fixed GB and that puts you at the mercy of the ground mineral and water saturation not causing the conditions to be too far off from the GB setting and what it can handle.

The electrical pumping or other outside electrical conditions might cause some EMI, but the difficulty you might have is dealing with the overly wet ground mineral conditions.

Just tough it out and either pick a different location, find a drier place to hunt, or take it easy, watch a movie or football or some on-line detecting videos ... as long as they are decent and not overly biased or hyped. Another suggestion is to kick back and find some topics on the AHRPS Forums and get some discussions going.smiling smiley I hope this helped you or someone out there.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

water logged dirt

dixiedigger57 73 September 16, 2021 01:38PM

Dealing with very wet, soaked, dirt / sand / etc..

Monte 56 September 16, 2021 06:28PM

Re: Dealing with very wet, soaked, dirt / sand / etc..

dixiedigger57 34 September 17, 2021 09:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021