Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comparisons can be 'interesting'.

November 22, 2021 02:07PM avatar
Naturally, When making comparisons we are combining both technical features as well as personal opinion so it will very on how we each look at different models. And I am certain we all have a bit of bias for or against different makes and models. That said, I'll share thoughts I have had:

WARRANTY: Honestly, I pampered my equipment, I select quality equipment to begin with, comma I'll don't abuse my equipment, and I have never been concerned about a detector's warranty. Over 56 years of avid detecting and I have only needed warranty service for something from White's. I have had some service on a detector aguirre'd, that was also out of warranty by quite a bit by Garrett and they took care of it.

WATERPROOF: It's not a major concern with me because I do not be chunked come and if I was going to hunt in a rain shower or some similar condition, or maybe do a fresh water beech hunt into shallow water where I could drop my detector, that's why I have the Simplex +.

I am, however, interested to see just to how well the new models hold up when they are used at deeper depths and I'm very interested in how XP has designed their new Deus II.

GARRETT Apex: This is Garrett's 1st model model in the SMF category and I have found it to work quite well for me in many land based applications. Yet it might lack some of the adjustment features many folks are looking for but for a detector that you can buy for $425 that provides SMF options for land or salt water as well as 4 selectable single frequencies, and also comes with the MS3 wireless headphones, that puts it in a totally different category than the other SMF models people are comparing. I have bought 4 of them for $400 to $425, new, with the wireless headphones so they're in a different category that we could perhaps refer to as mid-priced.

Perhaps at some point Garrett will yeah Garrett will introduce an upper end SMF that would be more comparable with with the XP, Minelab and Nokta / Makro offerings.

THE TH REE MAIN BRANDS DISCUSSED: Obviously the main model targeted for competition is the Minelab Equinox 800. It's been around, we've heard what it can and can't do, we know some of its strengths and weaknesses, so we have to then decide what might be better, if anything.

Nokta / Makro has provided selectable frequency models since January of '17 and they have worked well, and have provided proven performance, for me and others, in the types of site challenges I take on. One reason I like the models I have is their audio response and quality. I am hearing impaired and I am hoping the new Legend will provide audio selection this close to the FORS CoRe and FORS Relic. This is their first offering of an SMF, but they have had their target to work towards and their own engineering ideas to be competitive. Once in hand I will know what I think compared to the EQ-800.

Then we have the XP Deus II. I don't have, or any interested in, the Deus. But I do like the overall XP concept with their less-featured ORX.

Of all the brands discussed the XP products have offered us far more selectable Single Frequencies, so that alo b e hS put them know a different category the others are not even trying to match. Now they still offer the Frewuency options and are getting into both waterproofing as well as SMF. The notable difference is the price.

I'm just curious how these different models are going to do both in field performance as well as general consumer acceptance.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Nokta "Legend" roll out?

Utmike 105 November 20, 2021 12:03AM

Re: Nokta "Legend" roll out? ... I'm ready.

Monte 75 November 20, 2021 08:56AM

I continued to be impressed when I watched the video again this morning.

Monte 70 November 21, 2021 07:01AM

Re: I continued to be impressed when I watched the video again this morning.

UtahRich 49 November 21, 2021 08:26PM

D&P-OR 53 November 21, 2021 10:31PM

comparisons

UtahRich 49 November 22, 2021 10:19AM

Comparisons can be 'interesting'.

Monte 57 November 22, 2021 02:07PM

Monte - You Lost Me at the Hard Left Turn

UtahRich 51 November 22, 2021 05:18PM

Re: Monte - You Lost Me at the Hard Left Turn

D&P-OR 47 November 22, 2021 06:29PM

Re: Monte - You Lost Me at the Hard Left Turn

UtahRich 34 November 22, 2021 11:51PM

Hit the brakes, turned around, going the right way now.

Monte 55 November 23, 2021 04:15AM

SvenS 57 November 22, 2021 05:59AM

kac 40 November 23, 2021 09:09PM

I continue to be impressed.

UtahRich 41 November 24, 2021 04:40AM

Re: I continue to be impressed.

Utmike 34 November 24, 2021 10:27AM

Options -

UtahRich 32 November 24, 2021 10:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021