Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A new start, a new year coming, and some new detectors on the market.

December 04, 2021 02:10PM avatar
If you are a newcomer to this great sport, then you're getting a new start in a fantastic outdoor hobby. And if you are new and just getting started, believe me, you don't have to invest in the most expensive or most adjustable or often hyped about detector. There have been a lot of very good detectors in the past decade or two that worked well, and they continue to work well. I am sure you can shop round and find some of the better detectors available, and they find good targets just just like the spendy models.

For me, I'm getting a new start on learning to move again and hope to be back in position to do some low-key detecting by spring. I've had some PM's and e-mils asking how I am doing and if I am back home yet, so I figured I'd give an update.

I was getting around as usual with a cane the end of October but favoring my walker now and then the last couple of days as I felt weak. Head cold, I figured, getting me down. November 1st I remember talking with my son then went to lay down and rest while they did some painting. I guess I was pretty much out of it for a week, missing my meds and insulin a lot, laying down, coughing, and telling Monte Jr. I felt okay and would get over it. On the 8th he said I was unresponsive and called the paramedics who brought me to the hospital that evening. I regained consciousness late on the 10th and sort of realized where I was, but it didn't register until early morning on the 11th.

I had pneumonia, an inner ear infection, and was on the verge of a diabetic coma when they brought me in with a blood sugar reading in the upper 800's. After over ten days in bed it added to my weakened condition and I could barely move, but that only meant move around in bed. I couldn't stand or walk even with a walker as strength in the arms and legs had vanished. The afternoon of November 18th they transferred me to the Rehabilitation Hospital where they have continued to treat the pneumonia, working with a diabetic doctor to get my blood sugars in order, and there's still some talk about something they might follow-up with regarding my heart.

Things have been coming along, after having two transfusions the day before Thanksgiving, and I'm almost over the pneumonia but still on IV antibiotics. Hopefully it will be gone this week. Then each day I deal with Occupational and Physical Therapists working with me to help get me moving as best I can and making progress with a walker. As of yesterday, based on what progress I make, it might be one or two weeks until I'll be able to be released to go home, if able to fend for myself. If so I'll be home for Christmas and that will be good.

Then, like everyone else, I can pay more attention to the new modes on the market or coming soon. We'll start seeing You Tube videos and a lot more Forum discussions about the new models and how they compare to what is on the market now, or even how they might compare with some recent former models. I know some of the new models now, or in the past couple of years, might not appeal to a lot of people, but they can also use this winter break, if they are in a cabin-fever zone, for research or maybe just reading their Owner Manual and better learning the detectors they use now.

I find the new Nokta / Makro and coming XP models interesting, but they wouldn't replace my main-use outfit right now. I have a couple more but rely on five favorite detectors that are light-weigh and comfortable for me to use ... when I get back to my cane.

And what detecting might there be next year? Well, we always go work the same old places to find what's been missed. And we ought to do some research to try and locate a new location or two to go search. Plus, for those interested, I am still working on a WTHO for 2022. I missed #13 last year but I'm planning to make it to WTHO #14. Right now it looks like it will be in Nevada or possibly Utah. I'll keep everyone posted on that one.

Well, I want to wish all AHRPS Forum Participants the best of success when you get out detecting. If you're one of those who invests in the latest models, please, be sure to provide us a post and let us know how a new model is working out for you and compares with what you've been using. And if the weather is keeping you inside, never forget to do some research. To everyone, stay well, stay active, enjoy this great sport, and Merry Christmas!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Simplex + .. Inca .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer and Mi6 Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

A new start, a new year coming, and some new detectors on the market.

Monte 230 December 04, 2021 02:10PM

Re: A new start, a new year coming, and some new detectors on the market.

NWCindy 57 December 27, 2021 06:01PM

Working on mending .... skin contact reader considered ... pass on the pump. N/T

Monte 47 December 28, 2021 01:32AM

Want, wish, and need your speedy recovery!

Utmike 73 December 08, 2021 09:02PM

Release, Recovery and Minelab.

Monte 84 December 09, 2021 03:58AM

Re: Want, wish, and need your speedy recovery!

jmaryt 60 December 09, 2021 01:09AM

Get Well! Diabetes is no joke as you well know

dixiedigger57 61 December 07, 2021 12:04PM

Re: Holy Wow Monte!!

Kickindirt 89 December 06, 2021 08:01PM

Re: A new start, a new year coming, and some new detectors on the market.

SvenS 106 December 05, 2021 09:27AM

Thank You, Sven. Now to get The Legend to help spark my recovery. smiling smiley N/T

Monte 81 December 05, 2021 10:27AM

Re: Thank You, Sven. Now to get The Legend to help spark my recovery. smiling smiley

Tinhorn 97 December 05, 2021 01:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021