Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My name is Gregg and I'm a CoRe cult person smiling smiley - There, I feel better now.

June 12, 2022 06:40PM avatar
OregonGregg
Very affordable if you get an ORX+
n/t

Actually for the type of site that I hunt, literally 99% of the time, old ghost town sites that are filled with nails etc and the cursed rusted tin flakes I am happy with the Fors CoRe with the small oor ( 4.7 x 5.2) coil and for fringe areas the 9.5 x 5 coil. Also, throw in a Racer 2 with same coil combo.

The biggest negative against the CoRe is that they did not incorporate Iron Audio Volume into the machine. As I have learned I run my disc setting pretty low and I get to hear it all.....at full volume. At this point, I'm so used to hearing it all that a silent search machine drives me nuts ( Whites Classic Machines) Not many machines will unmask as well as a CoRe and small coil running min disc.

But for the days that my head is not into hearing "it all" then I will grab the Racer 2 which has Iron Audio Volume and just run the low tone at a low volume, just enough that I can hear it so I know how much iron I'm wading around in. ( Pretty much set up same as CoRe)

I've been asked, why not just get some of the newer machines offered by Nokta and I answer, two reasons, Audio & coil. Starting with the Kruzer forward Nokta decided to Frankentize their machines. They lost that really great " sweet analogish" sound and instead are a digitized mess as far as audio. Everything had to be waterproof, thus needing adapters to use my headphones, added weight etc etc. and no oor coil.

I bought the legend and gave it a try, but a few minutes in it was giving a digitized clipped signal ....on a good target. I stopped right there boxed it up and sent it back. At that point, performance didn't matter. It sounded on a good target the same audio I get from my Core in rusted tin.

No matter how bad it is, I listen for, even if it's just a hint, for that sweet analogish signal to squeak thru. and that is what stops me in my tracks and I investigate. It all boils down to Audio. VDI for the most part is useless in these kinds of sites, only helping at times if the numbers vary wildly, say 36 than jumps to 94 and back to the 30's etc......kinda tells me I'm on a piece of rusted tin. But for the most part, I completely ignore VDI numbers. The lesson I learned was back when I had the original Red Racer. It was Spring of 2016 and Zincoln & I were detecting an old site.

As normal I was getting my butt kicked the last few days and it was getting frustrating. We were detecting a spot and I was wedged in this little area that was full of big sage brush. I had just got a dead on dime reading and it turned out to be one of those double pants rivets....so that even gets ya in a worse mood lol, I then swung the machine around to my right in a big clump of sage brush and got a nice mid-tone. And this is the part that is key, the machine was shoved back against me in a way I could not easily see the screen or VDI numbers I just took my boot and kicked a bunch of the dirt out from underneath the brush. I then swung my coil over and yep it was out but was disappointed again. A nickel on the Red Racer is 56, this came in at 48 so I immediately guessed small shell casing etc.

I finally found the target and it was a small round disc encased in dirt that thru the years was like cement. Zincoln was about 15 feet away and I said it must be a damn button or something, having gloves on I couldn't get the dirt to peel away so I handed it to Zincoln. He took his thumb nail and started to work on it, and the dirt peeled away in one clump and then he looked at me and called me a few non-printable words smiling smiley

As it turns out that crappy VDI numbered target ended up being an 1874 three-cent nickel. So I ask myself even to this day, had that 3 cent nickel been laying out in a nice area and I hit it and looked at my VDI numbers, would I have dug it or moved along chalking it off as junk. It worked out that I did get the target but it was a learning lesson. Back then I relied on VDI numbers way more than I should have. I always wonder had the circumstances been different would I have dug the target. So today it's all about the audio for me and very seldom do I rely on VDI numbers. In those old sites, if you are getting a good tone it's worth investigating, regardless of what the VDI numbers are trying to tell you.

There are so many good targets that do not fall in the typical penny, nickel,dime,quarter, half & dollar readings and if the said coins happen to be surrounded by junk are next to junk ( iron/tin) well there goes your "good" vdi number down the drain......but...must times I still can get a good tone off the target.

So this all leads back to I just like ( or just so used to) the earlier audio that the Racers and CoRe/Relic puts out and just don't like the newer digitized sound of Nokta's newer machines. So if we are still posting here 10 years later, I'll prob still be posting finds from a Racer or CoRe.

LOL now the disclaimer...........as we have learned there is No Perfect Machine. I still dig lots and lots of junk. That is just part of the game if ya wanna find the good stuff in these old iron/rusted tin infested sites. I have been using the Racers and Core/Relic the last 7 years. They all share the same DNA so to speak and ya I'm prob a little biased toward those machines. smiling smiley

Last disclaimer: I usually do not make " Monte Length" post. I apologize for that cool smiley

Gregg,

Its all a process of learning about yourself. My name is Rich and I drink both Minelab and XP Kool-aid. eye popping smiley. And I hang out with metal detector addicts. Or something like that.

Enjoy NV. good luck.

Rich

just when i think i have it all figured out . . . . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2022 06:41PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

If you were to help design a new metal detector - - - -

Monte 247 June 09, 2022 09:00AM

Re: If you were to help design a new metal detector - - - -

dixiedigger57 137 June 26, 2022 09:05AM

Geotech 105 June 25, 2022 11:01PM

kac 85 June 27, 2022 09:17AM

Carl, I kind of agree.

Monte 82 June 26, 2022 01:12PM

Rick N. MI 138 June 21, 2022 10:09AM

thumbs up I'm with you on that. N/T

Monte 67 June 21, 2022 08:43PM

kac 241 June 15, 2022 10:40PM

Jeff (CA) 197 June 11, 2022 02:19PM

Jeff, thanks for your reply.

Monte 103 June 11, 2022 03:45PM

new metal detector - - - design

Kickindirt 173 June 10, 2022 01:31AM

GeoW 159 June 09, 2022 10:03PM

Design a new metal detector for ______ hunting

UtahRich 225 June 09, 2022 04:21PM

Rich, very go point and comments so I will add this:

Monte 118 June 10, 2022 09:10AM

CoRe vs Relic

UtahRich 237 June 12, 2022 06:30PM

I guess I ought to share my thoughts as well:

Monte 285 June 09, 2022 01:24PM

OregonGregg 300 June 09, 2022 01:05PM

Re: If you were to help design a new metal detector - - - - Gregg just

Kickindirt 177 June 09, 2022 01:56PM

OregonGregg 208 June 09, 2022 02:11PM

Very affordable if you get an ORX+ N/T

Monte 276 June 10, 2022 08:56AM

I guess I'll forever be a CoRe cult person smiling smiley

OregonGregg 112 June 10, 2022 10:32AM

My name is Gregg and I'm a CoRe cult person smiling smiley - There, I feel better now.

UtahRich 322 June 12, 2022 06:40PM

Good post, good reasoning, great detector picks.

Monte 266 June 10, 2022 11:05PM

Re: I guess I'll forever be a CoRe cult person smiling smiley

D&P-OR 131 June 10, 2022 12:14PM

D&P-OR 185 June 09, 2022 05:09PM

jmaryt 176 June 09, 2022 05:57PM

Re: Gregg vs Cults

Kickindirt 190 June 09, 2022 04:57PM

Re: Gregg vs Cults

OregonGregg 157 June 09, 2022 05:19PM

Darn near. thumbs up N/T

Monte 225 June 09, 2022 01:06PM

DW-BGW 237 June 09, 2022 11:04AM

And if not the 10x6 DD, a 9x5 will do. N/T

DW-BGW 171 June 09, 2022 11:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16