Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An almost annual battery frustration and warning.

September 25, 2022 01:02AM avatar
For decades I have had an ample supply of flashlights around home, in my travel gear, and in my vehicles. I used to make it routine when we switch from standard time to daylight and when we switched back from daylight time to standard time, or in other words twice a year, I would change the batteries in my smoke detectors and my flashlights. It was just a routine to make sure I had good fresh batteries ready to go.

Naturally, owning quite a few detectors also through these several decades I have made it routine to stay on top of the batteries they use. Except for the last 4 or 5 years now that was very easy because I used detectors often, like almost every day. They got used so batteries ran down and needed to be replaced on a very regular basis. I never had an issue with dead or bad batteries.

Because I had and used a lot of flashlights and detectors that used AA batteries, I bought a lot of alkalines to be prepared to keep devices changed and fresh. That was until about 5 years ago when things changed for me in several ways.

1.. I had lived in the Portland Oregon area most of my life where you're able to detect 12 months of the year, and 9 years ago this month I moved to Eastern Oregon where Winter time usually meant no detecting or very little. Therefore, for a few months my detector sat idle but still had batteries in them. I never developed a habit of removing them because they got frequent use.

2.. 5 or 6 years ago I had a few health issues that cut into my mobility and reduced my detecting opportunities, and that meant there was a little bit more down-time my detectors sat idle or used very little.

3.. 5 years ago I started making a change to using rechargeable NiMH batteries rather than alkaline. That meant I had more alkaline batteries sitting around in case I needed them some time for flashlights or whatever. I used nickel metal hydride in my main use detectors with Double-A 's but used Alkalines in a few less-used models.

4.. Then with some of the recent moves I have made from Oregon to Texas and then back home to Utah combined with too many times in the hospital and then having my mobility really hampered, the detectors have been used a lot less. But the batteries were still in them as well as in my flashlights.

5.. Finally, during this same last few years I have taken on detectors with built-in lithium batteries, or converted to more NiMH and my alkalines have sat in my battery tote in my den or in a couple of detectors.

I think it was last winter or so when I was making my seasonal battery change when I had missed one or two time changes due to moves and discovered three of my really nice, high-power flashlights were ruined due to batteries that had leaked. Battery holders were destroyed as well as the flashlights. I mentioned on a forum then to be sure to check your batterg-powered devices.

Fast forward to this past week. - - - - - -

** I do have 3 small flashlights I use often enought that use AAA batteries and have a small but workable pack of those alkalines on hand. I only have 2 full-size flashlights that use AA alkalines and I keep them empty except when I go camping, etc. All my other hand-held flashlights that travel with me or are around the house in case of a power outage are lithium rechargeable and they are regularly topped off.

But since I am thinning some detectors and adding or plan to add just two or three I was checking batteries. Doing so I found one model had a battery pack removed but I forgot to remove the batteries. Dead because three had leaked. I cleaned that pack and got some of the last AA Alkaline batteries out so I could fill that pack and have batteries ready for the detectors I am selling.

I went to my older alkalines that were supposed to be good for another year + and discovered that at least 3 or 4 of them in the plastic 8 pack were bad and leaked a mess! I threw out 48 'new' batteries. I found some spare
4-cell battery holders also had one or more leaked batteries. All together the bad batteries were from four different brands so I can't point fingers there.

All I can do, or any of us, is point a finger at ourselves if we don't change batteries often, or if we leave batteries in a device for a period of prolonged un-use.

Today, all my older alkalines are gone and I bought a small AA alkaline package for the few units I am selling and camping flashlights for the approaching deer season.

So, this is just a reminder to some readers to make sure you check your batteries and replace them as needed, and / or remove them during any winter down-time.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F-19 .. Racer .. Vanquish 540 .. FORS Relic .. Inca .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2022 08:05AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

An almost annual battery frustration and warning.

Monte 141 September 25, 2022 01:02AM

Re: An almost annual battery frustration and warning.

Timbertodd 91 September 25, 2022 08:46AM

And another sometimes overlooked reminder.

Monte 75 September 25, 2022 08:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29