Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Okay, here are my comments on Del's suggested site.

October 30, 2022 10:55PM avatar
I had a long reply with a lot of information and history, I then tapped the wrong key accidentally deleted the whole page I was working on. So with it lost I'm going to do a shorter reply.

My 1st comment to anyone at this time, don't consider visiting this ghost town. Great history about the town that I have researched and it has been the best, #1, site I have ever hunted since my first detecting visit with my brother on May 4th of '69. I found a 1929 Wheat-back penny so I wasn't skunked using my White's GhostTowner BFO with 6" wooden search coil.

It was hunted by a few who got into this hobby in the '70s but we didn't have a good detector until the Tesoro Inca in July of '83. I got mine and an inventory and became a dealer ... and switched over to Relic Hunting these old sites 85+% of the time. I hunted 1 to 3 visits a week for a few years, and often hunted at night or spent a 2 or 3 day campout detecting there. I enjoyed amazing success, and also hunted often with my 'hunting buddy' as well as her very successful Mom, her Dad and her brother and his wife. I had five other friends I searched with there from time-to-time. Other than my own visits I made frequently when I lived in Oregon, there were seven others who also traveled there with me, and two teamed-up for a few trips together.

Like many places I have enjoyed hunting, I liked to give them a name so others didn't know where I found all my good keepers and this is the site I named 'Twin Flats' back in '69 when my brother Ed and I first hunted there. Most who have read my posts throught the years have seen me mention Twin Flats.

My friend Debbie and her Mom and Dad also spent a lot of their detecting jaunts to Twin Flats and the biggest townsite between there and Nevada, as well as over thinning out Tacoma, Cobre and Toano in the latter '80's to mid '90s.

Now the Bad News: sad smiley

I like to research sites especially good ones like part of that town was. Note that I said PART and WAS. Most of Twin Flats is private property or especially BLM government land or BLM controlled. They do weird things and with BLM the archeologist is assigned the state of Utah for his boundries. Over three decades ago that archy co-authored a book that had very good detail of the Trans-Continental RR from the Nevada-Utah border on headed east past Promontory for a ways. Informative book that is in my collection.

In Utah they were very aggressive at keeping people from hunting any of the townsites they could and had signs posted at way-stations and towns. Also, he worked out the agreement with Southern Pacific RR to handle the RR Grade. The RR was granted or given a 400 foot tight-of-way so BLM can enforce anywhere 200 feet either side of center grade plus their property and any land a private owner gives them an OK.

Enforcement of this line and associated properties also increased due to the Golden Spike land acquisition and there are several towns where BLM enforcement people still patrol. OregonGregg, Zincoln and I found that out a few years ago at a different townsite.

Back to Twin Flats. Folks were chased off by game officers in three vehicles when they got out of three trucks that came in from three directions when they got out of their motor home Saturday morning one Easter weekend. They put their detectors away and left. The nb ext day another couple stepped out on Easter morning to hunt and got the same three vehicle greeting. They left.

I have spoken with one or more people who detected there but were confronted with BLM guys in their Suburban or another game officer ot County sheriff units and told it was illegal to hunt there or there could be confiscation, affect and a hefty fine.

I stated I have never been confronted or chased off, and several times a BLM vehicle was parked there a while and I was watched with binoculars. But, I also said I had owner permission for their portion of the townsite. However I haven't hunted there for about 10 years due to my health decline.

In that time, or a little bit before, the owners passed away and their kids owned it in a trust. Worse news right now is that BLM and a Utah historic group have teamed up at Twin Flats and a few other towns and have had guests and speakers talking about the history of them, saying they are off-limits to take anything.

Also, the trustees sold their portion of the townsite to another property owner and I haven't contacted them to see if they OK about detecting or if they are more chummy with the preservationists. I plan to do that by the end of the year. I did make a trip there with my oldest son and noted it was very sagebrush choked compared how it used to be and there are more BLM signs around on the property so it might be patrolled more often. Sure not as nice as old sites over in Nevada.

Finally, the closest Motel or RV Park would be quite a drive to Tremonton Utah. Just wouldn't work well for a WTHO.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F-19 .. Racer .. Vanquish 540 .. FORS Relic .. Inca .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2022 11:56PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Planning 2023 WTHO's. Need a little help.

Monte 189 October 29, 2022 12:09PM

June 7th to 11th, 2023 is our 16th WTHO. Question on 'base town'?

Monte 73 November 20, 2022 06:30PM

WTHO June 7th thru 11th ...One Outing date.

Monte 118 October 31, 2022 12:37PM

A quick WTHO question.

Monte 117 November 06, 2022 10:19AM

Re: A quick WTHO question. Both

Kickindirt 106 November 08, 2022 06:30PM

I'd try both. N/T

Utmike 65 November 07, 2022 10:52PM

Re: A quick WTHO question.

UtahRich 91 November 07, 2022 09:04AM

I'll be doing both. N/T

diggindeep 85 November 06, 2022 01:45PM

Camping and a Base Town. thinking confused smiley

Monte 105 October 31, 2022 01:00PM

Slight correction

GB_Amateur 136 November 01, 2022 10:29AM

I am gathering particulars to post later. thumbs up N/T

Monte 111 November 01, 2022 02:46PM

Re: Planning 2023 WTHO's. Need a little help.

GB_Amateur 102 October 31, 2022 11:39AM

Good info, Thanks. Andrew and others can ...

Monte 125 October 31, 2022 01:18PM

What is your preferred way that we answer?

GB_Amateur 89 October 30, 2022 09:45AM

Your option.

Monte 93 October 30, 2022 10:34AM

Del's site suggestion.

D&P-OR 163 October 30, 2022 02:25PM

Still sounds like a good place to meet. N/T

Kickindirt 102 October 31, 2022 03:15PM

Kickindirt, are you referring to Del's suggestion or the 16th WTHO plans?

Monte 90 October 31, 2022 04:37PM

Okay, here are my comments on Del's suggested site.

Monte 106 October 30, 2022 10:55PM

Kickindirt, I am deleting all your posts below.

Monte 108 October 30, 2022 07:02PM

LOLgrinning smiley N/T

Timbertodd 100 October 30, 2022 06:59PM

Re: Your option.

OregonGregg 123 October 30, 2022 02:46PM

Re: Your option.

jmaryt 179 October 31, 2022 05:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28