Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Planning 2023 WTHO's. Need a little help.

October 31, 2022 11:39AM
Monte

3.. Many have an interest in Gold Nugget Hunting at Rye Patch Nevada and also checking out ghost towns that are drivable from Lovelock or Rye Patch. Interest? Anyone know the typical weather for that area come spring?

5.. Also have had several people suggest a general base-point and then let everyone attending do their own research to figure out the type of place they want to hunt and venture out on their own or a small team to hunt. A big enough town to have food, gas, motel/RV Park options and in an area for folks to 'roam'. Could be sites to offer all the local area hunting plus ghost towns, mining or logging sites, railroad activity, or pioneer and military camps, towns, homesteads, etc. around the general area. Any interest in that type of WTHO?

Monte

Andrew (diggindeep) knows the area West of Winnemucca quite well. There may be others here who do too so I don't want to discourage their input, but I think Andy's advice should be strongly considered. (I seemed to recall he was open to the idea of holding a WTHO in that area to include natural gold detecting.) I have visited that area (looking for gold) three times myself, in November 2018, May 2019, and this year (2022) the week prior to the June WTHO.

I know of two ghost towns in that area, one of which I've detected (but only for about 2 hours). I'm confident there are many more old sites (e.g. railroad stops) but as Monte has said, you need to know you won't be run off (or worse) so that is where the research is needed.

As far as natural gold detecting is concerned, the area is obviously known for that and with some hand-waving there are quite a few available places to hunt but also many that aren't. There is a GPAA claim in the area and I happen to be a member. Others here probably are, too. I've taken 'guests' with me to some claims (I've never actually been on this one myself) and I'm pretty sure that is accepted as long as it's not overdone. Whether a group of 10-20 at a single time would be OK, I don't know, but I would feel confident taking 2 or 3 at one time and others on a separate day. If we have more attendees who belong that would help a lot, IMO. (Maybe I'm over-conservative on this issue....)

Because that area has been hunted hard for decades, the outlook for finding gold aren't great. My first trip (attending Gerry McMullen's class) I found 2 pieces in 4 days of detecting. My second trip I found 6 or 7 pieces in 3 days but was also being 'coached' by one of the top area detectorists. My 3rd trip (this year) I was also fortunate to be accompanied by three top detectorists and I got zilch in 3 1/2 days. That trip included detecting the same site where I had gotten half a dozen previously. I was using a ML Equinox 800 with 6" coil which is arguably as good as any IB/VLF detector ever made for finding tiny gold. But the new kids on the block (ML GPX6000 and soon to be released Garrett Axiom) PI detectors are even better for finding tiny gold and that's what anyone who goes to that area will be competing with. I think the GPX6000 plays at least some part in why I went from 6 pieces to a skunk between 2019 and 2022 searching the same ground. (All of my three much more experienced companions had either the above mentioned PI's or the 'gold standard' GPZ7000. Two of them found gold. All agreed the pickings were much slimmer than even in the last couple years.)

Now, regarding hotel availability, Winnemucca has many (at least a dozen) over a wide spectrum of prices. This year I stayed at the Rodeway Inn for a reasonable price (I think it was under $60/night before taxes) and that particular hotel is much nicer than the comparably priced Wells Super 8 (if you want a comparison). BTW, Winnemucca is between 1.5 hrs and 2 hrs drive from the gold areas to the West, at least the ones I've visited. But there has been other mention of Ghost Towns closer to Winnemucca. I don't think Lovelock is much closer if at all. Keep in mind you can drive 80 on the interstate but not on the unpaved roads so doing a distance to time conversion must include the latter. I drive ~35-40 mph on the better graded 'natural' roads in that area. Some drive faster but the risk of a tire puncture is real at any speed and some theorize it's worse when going much faster than 40 mph. (Gerry says there is at least one tire puncture among his class members every trip, and usually more. I think there were at least 3 when I attended, fortunately not my vehicle.)

The weather in that area in the spring can be anywhere from comfortable to rainy (which makes the roads effectively impassible for a day, maybe a couple days) to downright winter snow and cold wind. But in June it is typically warmer (hotter?) than any of the Wells area Ghost Towns I've visited. The elevation explains that as it's a couple thousand feet lower. I was comfortable (so it was cool -- around freezing being the low for the nights) by having layers of clothing available. I was probably lucky having never faced rain or snow. April is likely (much?) worse than the months I've been there.

The above are just my impressions and experiences. I hope others will add their views, including countering some of my claims.
Subject Author Views Posted

Planning 2023 WTHO's. Need a little help.

Monte 189 October 29, 2022 12:09PM

June 7th to 11th, 2023 is our 16th WTHO. Question on 'base town'?

Monte 73 November 20, 2022 06:30PM

WTHO June 7th thru 11th ...One Outing date.

Monte 118 October 31, 2022 12:37PM

A quick WTHO question.

Monte 117 November 06, 2022 10:19AM

Re: A quick WTHO question. Both

Kickindirt 106 November 08, 2022 06:30PM

I'd try both. N/T

Utmike 65 November 07, 2022 10:52PM

Re: A quick WTHO question.

UtahRich 91 November 07, 2022 09:04AM

I'll be doing both. N/T

diggindeep 86 November 06, 2022 01:45PM

Camping and a Base Town. thinking confused smiley

Monte 106 October 31, 2022 01:00PM

Slight correction

GB_Amateur 136 November 01, 2022 10:29AM

I am gathering particulars to post later. thumbs up N/T

Monte 111 November 01, 2022 02:46PM

Re: Planning 2023 WTHO's. Need a little help.

GB_Amateur 102 October 31, 2022 11:39AM

Good info, Thanks. Andrew and others can ...

Monte 125 October 31, 2022 01:18PM

What is your preferred way that we answer?

GB_Amateur 89 October 30, 2022 09:45AM

Your option.

Monte 93 October 30, 2022 10:34AM

Del's site suggestion.

D&P-OR 163 October 30, 2022 02:25PM

Still sounds like a good place to meet. N/T

Kickindirt 102 October 31, 2022 03:15PM

Kickindirt, are you referring to Del's suggestion or the 16th WTHO plans?

Monte 91 October 31, 2022 04:37PM

Okay, here are my comments on Del's suggested site.

Monte 107 October 30, 2022 10:55PM

Kickindirt, I am deleting all your posts below.

Monte 109 October 30, 2022 07:02PM

LOLgrinning smiley N/T

Timbertodd 100 October 30, 2022 06:59PM

Re: Your option.

OregonGregg 123 October 30, 2022 02:46PM

Re: Your option.

jmaryt 179 October 31, 2022 05:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22