Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When I say 'Wash' I am referring to in-the-field cleaning.

November 30, 2022 04:32PM avatar
On those non-noble metal targets many people will try to rub or press the dirt and mud and icky from them or rub then on their britches, etc. Then they grab the little squirt bottle and spray them a lot to 'Wash' the crud off, or even dunk them in a creek or other water and continue to scrub on them. While it sometimes is okay, it also can lead to scratches and abnormal wear if they have a nice 'collectable look' patina on them.

It is best to let them dry and then use a proper brush to work on the surface, gently. Then, if they are really bad shape or if you are just going to make them look fresher, you can precede with a proper washing and cleaning and tumbling, whatever you desire. But in-the-field, try not to abuse those finds. Let them dry in order to end up with a nicer-looking recovered old coin, trade token, thimble or other artifact.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F-19 .. Racer .. Vanquish 540 .. FORS Relic .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Dug Coins, Tokens, Jewelry ... Wash or Dry. ???

Monte 148 November 28, 2022 06:21PM

When I say 'Wash' I am referring to in-the-field cleaning.

Monte 72 November 30, 2022 04:32PM

Perfect answer TYthumbs up N/T

kac 84 November 28, 2022 09:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16