Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Andrew, I read it but I don't see it. confused smiley

January 21, 2023 01:03AM avatar
diggindeep
My Dad was using a Minelab Sovereign at the time and was finding gold rings like crazy. I was struggling with the Fisher CZ 6a and after comparing a few of this deeper targets that I couldn't hear with the Fisher, I decided it was time to upgrade. So I sold some of my finds to finance the purchase of a new Minelab Sovereign XS 2a. Now the finds really started to come in with the extra depth I was getting. I later purchased a Minelab Explorer 2 and then an eTrac.

I had a converted CZ-6a and it was okay, but I didn't need waterproof and the CZ-5 appealed to me more so I used them, until .... I bought a Sovereign XS2a Pro. It was a complement to my favored Tesoro's and White's units, and as usual I select certain detectors and coils for the tasks-at-hand.

I later switched to an Explorer II (had 6 of them) including n Explorer SE Pro, but never went on to an E-Trac. The Explorer's saw limited use in my group because 85% of the time I was Relic Hunting in very challenging high iron-debris sites. Besides, I didn't like the weight or balance, and I actually preferred the Sovereign and had overall better success with it.

diggindeep
It wasn't until about 2016 that I started to get back into ghost town hunting and relic hunting in general. All the machines I had at the time weren't that great for either. So I started doing research on the XP Deus and purchased one that year. The first place I went was to an old site that was both a military camp and ghost town I had hunted with both the Explorer and CZ 6a with some success. The very first hunt I pulled a 3 cent piece and a seated half dime. I thought I was in heaven. Later hunts resulted in about 12 additional very old silver coins, including cap bust and Spanish coins.

I used to Coin Hunt 85% or more of the time since I started in March of '65 because we didn't have a better Relic Hunting unit for rough ghost town challenges, that is until July of '83. At that time I made some significant changes and took on the Tesoro line as a Dealer and used the just introduced Inca w/7" Concentric coil. My success rate was so fantastic I changed up to ghost town and other old-site uniting 85% of the time and just filled-in here and there with urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. Its's been that way until the last two years when I can't handle the terrain and difficulties any more. Back to what urban hunting I can do. For me and where I have hunted, 'depth' hasn't been a real need as most desired targets are sub-surface to relatively shallow at 4" to 6" most of the time.

diggindeep
Today I hunt gold nuggets, ghost towns/relics and the beach. Each of these types of hunting require different metal detectors and some cross over as multi use machines.

Let's not forget to add typical Coin & Jewelry Hunting to Gold Nuggets, Ghost Towns & Relics, and the Beach. As you stated, some detectors might be more 'multi-purpose' than others, but it is best to select a detector, coil and settings for the different types of searching we each enjoy doing.

diggindeep
For gold nugget hunting I use the Minelab Equinox and GPX 6000. For ghost towns I use the Nokta Fors Relic and Deus 2. For military relic hunting the Equinox and GPX 6000. For the beach the Deus 2 and Manticore (which by the way are better than any pulse induction machine coil size to coil size)

I read it but I don't see it. It is good, to me, to see someone else using the Nokta FORS Relic which has served me well in many applications from the time I started working with a prototype. I still have and use that detector. thumbs up But almost exclusively with the 5" DD coil in iron-littered sites.

I read where you posted you use it, but I don't see it listed with the others at the bottom of your post in your Signature.

diggindeep
So everyone has different needs when it comes to metal detecting. I prefer to use the latest detectors available even if the improvements in performance are minimal.

Yes, indeed, we all have different needs, and different opinions or likes-and-dislikes when it coms to detector selection. Thus, whatever we use is what we feel works fine for us. thumbs up

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F-19 .. Racer .. Vanquish 540 .. FORS Relic .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Detector Talk -

UtahRich 186 January 19, 2023 11:42PM

Re: Detector Talk -

kac 72 January 21, 2023 01:43PM

Detector Talk -

UtahRich 79 January 21, 2023 09:29PM

Good post, Rich. Informative.

Monte 60 January 22, 2023 04:06PM

Harold,ILL. 70 January 22, 2023 08:15AM

kac 75 January 22, 2023 03:24PM

Terrific post, Rich, and follow-up everyone. thumbs up

Monte 66 January 20, 2023 03:43PM

Dear Detector Talk,

OregonGregg 83 January 20, 2023 12:28PM

diggindeep 88 January 20, 2023 12:05PM

Andrew, I read it but I don't see it. confused smiley

Monte 76 January 21, 2023 01:03AM

Re: Andrew, I read it but I don't see it. confused smiley

diggindeep 59 January 21, 2023 12:06PM

No, I don't always list everything, however ..

Monte 74 January 21, 2023 03:23PM

The Signature list. eye popping smiley. Red alert

UtahRich 92 January 21, 2023 05:46PM

I mostly agree with your 'Siganature' thoughts.

Monte 157 January 22, 2023 03:25PM

thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 34 January 22, 2023 05:04PM

Re: The Signature list. eye popping smiley. Red alert

kac 58 January 21, 2023 07:40PM

This is where everybody is supposed to Smile. smiling bouncing smiley

UtahRich 77 January 25, 2023 09:38PM

Totally agree that some units become 'fast friends'.

Monte 30 February 02, 2023 12:37PM

Best hobby ever. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float N/T

UtahRich 41 January 22, 2023 05:05PM

ScoTTT2 76 January 20, 2023 10:15AM

Harold,ILL. 77 January 20, 2023 05:49AM

A good topic question, and answers.

Monte 73 January 20, 2023 03:55PM

diggindeep 74 January 20, 2023 12:24PM

Harold,ILL. 61 January 20, 2023 02:24PM

diggindeep 57 January 20, 2023 03:15PM

Twinkling of Silver -

UtahRich 163 January 20, 2023 11:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18