Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Detector Talk -

January 21, 2023 09:29PM avatar
kac
Personally I like machines that have modulated audio, this is critical for me to hear the deeper targets and know their size. I often hunt with the Tesoro or if one my other machines that have saturated audio I will switch to all metal mode and use vco.

Audio quality and audio modulation are very important to me - I recently retired from the Designed Services Repair Department with the phone company (what used to be Mountain Bell, US West, Quest, CenturyLink, and currently, Lumen) One of my jobs was testing and repairing Analog & Digital Voice and Data Circuits for entities like the FAA, Federal, State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies, E911, Search and Rescue, Radio Stations, and so forth, you get the idea. For analog circuits, much of our time was spent fine tuning audio levels and measuring a number of aspects related to the sound quality of a circuit. As a tester, I also directed the install and repair of Basic Rate ISDN (BRI) lines for many radio personalities that worked in places far away from their radio studios. All of the human voice nuances could be heard on these 'digital' lines. It sounds like they are standing right there when they are actually a couple thousand miles away. So . . . . .

When the subject is brought up over the lovely audio of the Tesoro's, i get that. There is a clarity and simplicity of sound with the Tesoro circuit response that is unique. The circuit conveys a lot of information. I don't think it is duplicated on any other brand of detector. That said, i also think the XP audio circuit for the Deus and Deus 2 is excellent and conveys a world of information. Like the Tesoro's, it is much more than a 'beep'. A lot of the 'raw' seems to come thru.

As for my Explorer, Etrac, and 800, each is a little unique with similarities due to the way Minelab designs things. A more processed sounding audio certainly, but i have always been able to set the audio to 'modulated' and easily listen to differences in the depth and quality of a signal. Long time Minelab users LOVE their audio as well. Is the Minelab audio the same as the audio of the Tesoro? Nope. It is pleasant to listen to? Yep, because I can adjust the audio levels and frequencies to those i best hear and I can also set them to variable (multi), so I can hear the spread of the audio target ID (narrow or wide). That additional information has value to me. If i was looking at a visual target ID scale, this would be represented with a single target ID number OR an ID spread out wide across the meter. On the newer Manticore, this is represented by a narrow or wide/splattered target ID DOT on the screen. The audio target ID gives me MORE audio information that I get with my Tesoro's.

kac
I don't criticize people for what machine they use nor to I shame them. I'm not a label wearer and more focused on what works for me. One of the biggest turn offs for me on forums is when someone boasts the latest machine and the find they got as if that was the only reason they found the target. Other thing I despise is when people who test the machines for a company and received the unit free from the company go and boast about it and over sell it's capabilities.

Not sure if this is directed at my recent post of my results hunting with Andrew out at the GSL. Bragging? Hmmm. Well, if we are honest with ourselves, I think posting our results for friends to see has a bit of a brag aspect to it. Looking for a bit of positive reinforcement from friends. In addition to my 'brag' however, a number of forum regulars have asked for my opinion and progress on the Manticore. Since it is a new detector, would-be owners are looking for information and performance results to help in their decision making and ASK for info from others using the new equipment. It's a sharing thing.

That said, as with any 'opinion', it is up to you to decide upon its' value for you. Please see my previous post here: [www.ahrps.org]

Conflict of Interest? Disclaimers? I save my money and buy my detectors. No freebees here. I don't sell detectors although Joel does and he's a friend of mine. I wish his family well and I'd like to see him do well with his business so I make effort to buy my detectors and accessories from him and refer others to him if they are in the market. He's an excellent detectorist.

I spent a couple years hunting with my 800 and testing different settings before I derived the settings that have become my norm for my area. I spent about the same with my Etrac. My Explorer XS took longer and it wasn't until i stumbled upon a group of Explorer users on Findmall that I began to get the most of my XS. I anticipate that the Manticore will take a good year plus to get settled with. Will it be all that and then some? Don't know yet. I'm hoping though.

Good luck in the field - looking forward to reading your posts.

UtahRich

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2023 10:13PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

Detector Talk -

UtahRich 186 January 19, 2023 11:42PM

Re: Detector Talk -

kac 72 January 21, 2023 01:43PM

Detector Talk -

UtahRich 79 January 21, 2023 09:29PM

Good post, Rich. Informative.

Monte 60 January 22, 2023 04:06PM

Harold,ILL. 70 January 22, 2023 08:15AM

kac 75 January 22, 2023 03:24PM

Terrific post, Rich, and follow-up everyone. thumbs up

Monte 66 January 20, 2023 03:43PM

Dear Detector Talk,

OregonGregg 83 January 20, 2023 12:28PM

diggindeep 88 January 20, 2023 12:05PM

Andrew, I read it but I don't see it. confused smiley

Monte 77 January 21, 2023 01:03AM

Re: Andrew, I read it but I don't see it. confused smiley

diggindeep 59 January 21, 2023 12:06PM

No, I don't always list everything, however ..

Monte 74 January 21, 2023 03:23PM

The Signature list. eye popping smiley. Red alert

UtahRich 92 January 21, 2023 05:46PM

I mostly agree with your 'Siganature' thoughts.

Monte 157 January 22, 2023 03:25PM

thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 34 January 22, 2023 05:04PM

Re: The Signature list. eye popping smiley. Red alert

kac 58 January 21, 2023 07:40PM

This is where everybody is supposed to Smile. smiling bouncing smiley

UtahRich 77 January 25, 2023 09:38PM

Totally agree that some units become 'fast friends'.

Monte 30 February 02, 2023 12:37PM

Best hobby ever. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float N/T

UtahRich 41 January 22, 2023 05:05PM

ScoTTT2 76 January 20, 2023 10:15AM

Harold,ILL. 77 January 20, 2023 05:49AM

A good topic question, and answers.

Monte 73 January 20, 2023 03:55PM

diggindeep 74 January 20, 2023 12:24PM

Harold,ILL. 61 January 20, 2023 02:24PM

diggindeep 57 January 20, 2023 03:15PM

Twinkling of Silver -

UtahRich 163 January 20, 2023 11:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27