Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My take on the Tesoro Outlaw, both positive and negative attributessmiling smileysad smiley

January 08, 2016 02:57AM
DirtDigger
After doing some research, I have decided to purchase the Tesoro Outlaw with the 3 coil package. It comes with the 8", the 5.75" and the 10x12" coils.

...Back during the winter of 2014/2014, I was sent an Outlaw 3 coil package to evaluate. Rusty Henry had heard that I knew a thing or two about Tesoro metal detectors and he came up with an agreement with me to "loan" out the Outlaw for a 6 month field test. At the end of the 6 month test... if I wanted to buy it at the end of the test, I could or I could return it back to him. All he wanted was an unbiased field test. So I took up the challenge and did my first field test which is still up on Tesoro's website.

...During the entire field test I wanted to experiment with the much talked about "Retune" button, so I used it every time that I got out in the field with the Outlaw. I will say that if a person is new to the hobby and does not understand manual detuning and retuning in the all-metal mode to leave the "Retune" button alone and not use it. I found a couple of "glitches" that the "Retune" feature of the Outlaw causes. The first glitch is when you turn on the Outlaw and the 3 position Mode switch is in Disc. mode, the Disc. mode is detuned and if you conduct an "airtest", you will think something is wrong with it as it will be at half of the sensitivity it should have and will airtest poorly, to correct this you can do 2 different things to correct it. One is to fully depress the "Retune" button and then it will airtest properly OR put the 3 way toggle switch to Auto, then toggle back to Disc. mode. The second glitch is when you are in the Disc. mode and toggle to the All-Metal mode and use the Retune button to narrow the all metal signal by using the "detuning" method. To get the detector back to operating properly, you have to raise the coil away from the target and fully depress the Retune button to restore full power to the Disc. mode. Sounds complicated, I know, but there is a reason I am explaining all that I know about this built in glitch that can be a problem for some people.

...I liked the Outlaw so much that a year later I bought that same test Outlaw from Rusty.I urge anyone that has the Outlaw to learn about the quirks and the positive things that it has to offer. Here is how I operate the Outlaw without any unwanted glitches. First...make sure the 3 position mode switch is toggled to Auto,,,,Disc. knob set to MIN. Then I turn it on and set Sensitivity to 10,,,,then set Threshold level to a 'just' audible tone, the next thing to do is to find a clean patch of gound and do the ground balance by pumping the coil from about 6 inches above the ground to just about an inch above the ground. I try to get a neutral setting where the Threshold stays the same audio as when first set.

..What I like best about the Outlaw is it's great ED-120 discrimination circuit, it reminds me of the disc.circuit of the original Bandido and Bandido ll. I have found that it punches deep in my mildly mineralized Kansas soil and with it have found my deepest Indian head penny at about 9 inches deep. This was while using my favorite 8" coil, which I use in about all the places I hunt at. I use the 5.75 coil when working in the dense iron around old house and barn foundation and ruins. That's about it, good luck with your new Outlaw.
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte, what is your opinion of the Tesoro Silver Umax

DirtDigger 605 January 06, 2016 10:50AM

My opinion of the Tesoro Silver ┬ÁMAX.

Monte 901 January 07, 2016 08:37AM

Re: Monte, what is your opinion of the Tesoro Silver Umax

DirtDigger 476 January 07, 2016 01:04AM

My take on the Tesoro Outlaw, both positive and negative attributessmiling smileysad smiley

Hombre 762 January 08, 2016 02:57AM

Re: My take on the Tesoro Outlaw, both positive and negative attributessmiling smileysad smiley

desertsmith 471 January 15, 2016 11:32AM

DirtDigger, you made a better decision.

Monte 583 January 07, 2016 08:44AM

Re: DirtDigger, you made a better decision.

kaczjoe 295 July 25, 2016 11:43PM

kaczjoe 292 July 26, 2016 05:24PM

Joe, you made the right decision,

Monte 335 July 28, 2016 06:52AM

Fish N Chips 472 January 07, 2016 03:19PM

DirtDigger 450 January 08, 2016 01:30AM

Just received my Tesoro Outlaw

DirtDigger 472 January 12, 2016 08:27PM

One caution about using your Tesoro Outlaw.

Monte 558 January 13, 2016 08:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 5 on January 14, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016