Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Explaining my posted statements.

August 21, 2016 03:40PM avatar
ToddB64
Monte....Thanks for your thorough review of Tesoro coils on August 19, 2016 03:52PM.

With reference to the comment you made copied & pasted below, the way it's worded leaves me confused, but then I've never been very good at understanding abstruse thought patterns, so maybe you meant what you said.

Monte
but IF I wanted SLIGHTLY more shallower-depth coverage and MAYBE a slight increase in detection depth when hunting an urban park or site you might refer to, then I would use an 8" donut-shaped coil.

"SLIGHTLY more shallower-depth" and "MAYBE a slight increase in detection depth" seem to be conflicting.
For example, "shallower-depth" = less depth, whereas "a slight increase in detection depth" = more depth.

Please explain or reword.

ToddB64
Sure, I will gladly try to clarify what I posted, and remember that I am referring to selecting a different search coil than the 6" Concentric coil I use almost always. Let me break the two comments down as follows:

... but IF I wanted SLIGHTLY more shallower-depth coverage .. -- Going from a 6" Concentric to an 8" Concentric coil might provide SLIGHTLY more coverage on the side-to-side sweep over the 6" coil, but only on the shallower-depth targets. Typically, most coins and other smaller targets, like silver and gold rings, trade tokens, etc., are going to be found in the surface-to-3" or maybe 4" depth range ... in other words 'shallower' than what we might consider a deeper target to be, say down to the 5" to 7" typical depth.

The increase in 'coverage' on the sweep, from front-to-rear of the coil between 6" and 8" diameter is just SLIGHTY more, but not on the deeper positioned coin-sized targets. That's due to the tapering shape of the effective detection field as it gets farther from the coil's center axis.

... and MAYBE a slight increase in detection depth when hunting an urban park or site you might refer to, then I would use an 8" donut-shaped coil. -- Most of my chosen hunting grounds are rural Relic Hunting types of sites, and are especially littered both with ferrous trash and non-ferrous debris, with the iron-based junk being the biggest offender. Very dense nails and other closely positioned trash.

In the Urban Coin Hunting territory you refer to, such as city parks and schools and private lawns, etc., there are often more open areas with little trash or what is there is more spaced out and less likely to cause good-target masking. When that is the case, you MAYBE can get a slight increase in detection depth on those smaller-size desired targets by increasing from a 6" Concentric to an 8" Concentric coil.

But if you spend most of your time working very littered places or hunting close to metal structures like pipes or chain-link fences or structures, then the smaller 6" Concentric coil will provide the better all-around returns for your time.

I hope that cleared it up.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro thin 6" Concentric vs 8" Brown Donut coil.

ToddB64 762 August 17, 2016 06:34PM

Re: Tesoro thin 6" Concentric vs 8" Brown Donut coil.

Monte 806 August 19, 2016 01:52PM

ToddB64 602 August 19, 2016 09:13PM

Explaining my posted statements.

Monte 599 August 21, 2016 03:40PM

Re: Explaining my posted statements. I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime9-11

Hombre 549 August 21, 2016 06:47PM

Hombre says: "I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime."

Monte 541 August 22, 2016 07:29AM

Monte that is a Great Post on Tesoro concentric coils, everything that you need to knowabout these coils is in this post

Hombre 545 August 19, 2016 07:11PM

Yep, a 2-coil set-up is all I need for

Monte 566 August 21, 2016 10:40AM

Re: Yep, a 2-coil set-up is all I need for

pinenut 511 August 21, 2016 11:33AM

Back to you, pinenut.

Monte 538 August 21, 2016 04:31PM

DW-OR 502 August 17, 2016 08:37PM

ToddB64 524 August 18, 2016 11:35PM

Hombre 466 August 17, 2016 08:07PM

ToddB64 569 August 19, 2016 12:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018