Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you, pinenut.

August 21, 2016 10:31PM avatar
pinenut
Monte
..The Tesoro DD coils basically flunk any of the test scenarios or actual in-the-field hunts I have used them for when up against my two favorite Concentric coil, even in more mineralized ground and hunting iron nail infested sites.

Monte

Monte, why do you think that is?
Might it be the Tesoro DD coil design, or more an issue with Tesoro circuitry?
My honest opinion is that it is more due to the circuitry of the detectors. I have used most of Tesoro's detectors since July of 1983, and have evaluated almost every one of their search coils, both Concentric and Wide-Scan (aka Double-D), and done so in a wide variety of hunting applications.

pinenut
I prefer the 5.75 concentric wherever I can get away with it, but I find the DD is just easier to use in some spots.
Like you, I definitely prefer the round 6" Concentric coil for probably 95% of all my Tesoro detector model uses. This is due to the abundant trash with an emphasis on iron =based debris, especially nails. That coil is on each of my personal Tesoro favorites.

pinenut
I find my discrimination to be (far) less accurate and consistent, and pinpointing a bit off with the 5.75 DD.
With most detector models we have enjoyed in the past, and especially those that are analog-based circuitry, this has been some of the biggest issues with using any-size Double-D coil.

• Poor Discrimination rejection, especially with iron junk.
• Inconsistent and/or inaccurate visual Target ID and Audio Tone ID on most models that feature them.
• Difficulty isolating/Pinpointing a target.
• More difficulty when hunting in a dense, iron infested environment.

I used a lot of detectors and coils early ion as I was a Tesoro Dealer, and continued to use and compare their performance afield ever since. I like to have the best working detectors and coils in my personal arsenal, and that requires ample side-by-side comparison work. The DD coils, be them a Tesoro made or aftermarket offering, just do not handle dense iron nail challenges as well as a Concentric coil.

One of the more recent occurrences that just happened to point out the weakness of some Tesoro models with DD Vs. Concentric coils happened just a year ago. Twice. The first was on a Welcome-to-Hunt Outing we held in some ghost towns in Northern Nevada. One participant brought a few detectors with him, to include a choice condition Tejón he had just acquired.

With it he had four search coils, to include:

• Stock 8X9 Concentric.
• The 6X10 elliptical DD usually used on a Lobo SuperTRAQ.
• The new Tesoro 8X11 DD.
• An aftermarket NEL 'SharpShooter' DD.

He didn't have a smaller-sized coil, such as the 6" Concentric, for the Tejón, and since we were in one of the trashiest ghost towns around, smaller is usually better. He had found a silver Barber Dime the night before at an oth3er nearby town (with a different detector and coil) and was curious how the Tejón would handle an iron nail environment. I tossed on of my Nail Board Performance Test 'tools' on the ground
so he could (a) Adjust a proper Threshold, (b) adjust the Ground Balance, and (c) adjust the Discrimination to just barely reject the four iron nails on the NBPT.

I usually use an Indian Head or Zinc Cent in the #1 centered test spot, but he used the Barber Dime he had found. Checked it using the 'new' Tesoro 8X11 DD and the results were terrible. You should be able to sweep left-to-right and right-to-left across the nails from 4 directions which gives you a possible 8 hits on the coin with the nails all rejected.

Using the 8X11 DD, then the Tesoro 6X10 DD, and finally the NEL SharpShooter DD, he couldn't get more than 2 to 3, and a questionable 4 hits out-of-8 possible Terrible performance! He was about ready to give up on the Tesoro Tejón performance and using it in such a nasty iron challenged site, then I suggested he try the stock 8X9 Concentric. Actually bigger in some ways than a couple of his DD coils.

The result? He got 8-out-of-8 hits using the bigger-size Concentric coil. I did this same thing with another fellow just a couple of months later, comparing a Vaquero and Bandido II microMAX with same-size Concentric and DD coils on each. The clear winners were the Concentric coils.

I have seen other cases with the same in-the-field results using one brand and model and changing only the Concentric and DD coils for comparison. White's M6, MX5 and MXT All-Pro are another example where similar-sized Concentrics smoke the DD's in nasty trash.

pinenut
But, it's more "forgiving" in mineralized soil, requiring less GB fiddling, and my sweep needs less overlap with it. I keep a quarter-size, black hot rock in my bag to help set my GB with, if I'm using the concentric in problem areas. I find it's not needed when I use the DD.
I have lived in Oregon most of my life, and in my 51+ years of detecting I have traveled to many states and a lot of low mineralized, moderate mineralized and higher mineralized locations. I usually hunt ghost towns, gold mining camps and tons, logging camps and towns, and all sorts of places that are very mineralized and have a high magnetic mineralization read-put of those detectors that provide it. These are where I hunt and where I compare detectors and search coils.

With Tesoro's, and most of the competition until very recent times, Concentric coils have provided me some of the best ground handling, detector depth, and smaller-target responsiveness. Just my opinions based on ample field time, and why I don't care for any DD on any Tesoro .... with only one exception. The Diablo µMAX that I wish I still had.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact w/7" C., Impact w/5X9½ DD, Relic w/5" DD, Relic w/5½X10 C., Relic w/7X11 DD, CoRe w/'OOR' DD and CoRe w/7X11 DD
Tesoro:
Vaquero w/6" C., Bandido II µMAX w/6" C., Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" C. and Mojave w/7" C.

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta and Tesoro
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro thin 6" Concentric vs 8" Brown Donut coil.

ToddB64 448 August 18, 2016 12:34AM

Re: Tesoro thin 6" Concentric vs 8" Brown Donut coil.

Monte 411 August 19, 2016 07:52PM

ToddB64 326 August 20, 2016 03:13AM

Explaining my posted statements.

Monte 339 August 21, 2016 09:40PM

Re: Explaining my posted statements. I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime9-11

Hombre 320 August 22, 2016 12:47AM

Hombre says: "I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime."

Monte 312 August 22, 2016 01:29PM

Monte that is a Great Post on Tesoro concentric coils, everything that you need to knowabout these coils is in this post

Hombre 332 August 20, 2016 01:11AM

Yep, a 2-coil set-up is all I need for

Monte 332 August 21, 2016 04:40PM

Re: Yep, a 2-coil set-up is all I need for

pinenut 306 August 21, 2016 05:33PM

Back to you, pinenut.

Monte 309 August 21, 2016 10:31PM

DW-OR 297 August 18, 2016 02:37AM

ToddB64 301 August 19, 2016 05:35AM

Hombre 304 August 18, 2016 02:07AM

ToddB64 351 August 19, 2016 06:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 5 on January 14, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016