Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hombre says: "I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime."

August 22, 2016 07:29AM avatar
Hombre
Monte...

I need more depth because of the dust bowl days in Kansas, If I can't reach 8" silver dimes, I might as well stay at home.
Randy, I directed my reply to Todd with regard to the 6" and 8" Concentric coils he asked about in his post. Also, because there was no mention or discussion about hunting lower trash sites with potentially deeper located coin-sized targets.

I, too, have hunted some locations where conditions have caused coins to be located deeper. Some, like in your case, where weather or erosion has covered them up and deposited material over them, and some where human or animal activity has either churned the ground up from plowing, or has seen a lot of animal activity especially when the ground is wet and soggy in some cattle ranching locations.

Fortunately for me, however, I live and hunt in most western state locations where most coins I find are from surface to perhaps 4" depth positions. Most of the old ghost towns, stage stops, railroad depots and sidings sites, homesteads and other such places present a lot of iron debris to deal with, but for decades now I have unmasked coins and trade tokens that I have even eyeballed, such as 1858 Seated Liberty Dimes, 1853 Seated Liberty Quarters, and a surprising number of Shield and 'V' Nickels ... right on top of the surface. All the rest are still shallower and seldom what we might call 'deep.'

Sorry you have to deal with the left-over dust bowl conditions. sad smiley

Hombre
Everything around this part of Sumner county is deep, in the cleaner areas I will use my thin 10½" concentric, it will nab those deeper dimes that are 8+ inches.
But here you did point out one coil I did use to use when I had more open area to hunt that was sparse on all the modern trash and I was using Tesoro's most of the time. I had several places in both Utah and Oregon where we could try to squeak out another 1" to 2", if lucky, and a larger-size search coil was handy.

Of all the larger-than-standard search coils I ever used on any Tesoro model, the 10½" Concentric was by far the best choice. Again, it worked much better for me than any of the Doable-D coils offered, be it the old 11" round DD or the newer 8X11 elliptical DD, that 10½" Concentric worked well in low-to-modest littered places.

I use more modern detectors with different sized coils for hunting deeper coin sites that match or better the performance I got from the lower-powered Tesoro's even with that great coil, but in its time ... and that could mean today, too, in lower mineralized sites ... the 10½" round Concentric coil does well.

You sure don't hear many people talking about that Tesoro coil, and if anyone has a good working, good condition 10½, and places to use it, they are lucky.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My 'Regular-Use Detector Team' are various models from: Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
My 'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro thin 6" Concentric vs 8" Brown Donut coil.

ToddB64 710 August 17, 2016 06:34PM

Re: Tesoro thin 6" Concentric vs 8" Brown Donut coil.

Monte 744 August 19, 2016 01:52PM

ToddB64 556 August 19, 2016 09:13PM

Explaining my posted statements.

Monte 550 August 21, 2016 03:40PM

Re: Explaining my posted statements. I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime9-11

Hombre 513 August 21, 2016 06:47PM

Hombre says: "I need more depth than 5" to 7" on a dime."

Monte 501 August 22, 2016 07:29AM

Monte that is a Great Post on Tesoro concentric coils, everything that you need to knowabout these coils is in this post

Hombre 513 August 19, 2016 07:11PM

Yep, a 2-coil set-up is all I need for

Monte 535 August 21, 2016 10:40AM

Re: Yep, a 2-coil set-up is all I need for

pinenut 463 August 21, 2016 11:33AM

Back to you, pinenut.

Monte 482 August 21, 2016 04:31PM

DW-OR 466 August 17, 2016 08:37PM

ToddB64 488 August 18, 2016 11:35PM

Hombre 439 August 17, 2016 08:07PM

ToddB64 532 August 19, 2016 12:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018