Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comments for Rich(UT)

March 16, 2017 08:13AM avatar
Rich (Utah)
Hey Gregg,

IF . . . . . I remember correctly, I was using a Bandido (ORIGINAL) and I turned up a couple of seated dimes, an IHP that was pretty wasted and a Chinese cash coin. I'd have to go back and look at my log to make sure. I had a couple hunts there with Monte and my mind tends to mix them together.
Yes, on that first day we hunted out there in 'Twin Flats' Utah, mid-February of '90 or '91, I believe, you had your then young son along and left the White's at home, only bringing a Tesoro or two.

I remember some passenger in your white Bronco, if I recall, talked away the whole trip (hard to believe, huh? eye popping smiley) and reminded you to be very patient. That it's easy to hunt a full day and get nothing (only happed to me out there on a 4-hour hunt), and to just hang in there. Coins are difficult to find and it can take a lot of hunting.

Then, within maybe the first 10 minutes after we got out there you had the back opened on your rig to do up your son's coat and I hollered over to you .... "Well, at least I'm not skunked!", having just recovered an 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter. On the drive out you had said you hoped to find a Seated Liberty coin and also find an 'O' mintmark coin. There in the business section between my Capped Bust Half-Dime and the old well you found a Seated Liberty Dime that just happened to have an 'O' mintmark! If I recall it was an 1857. Could have been a '54' but I think an 1857.

Rich (Utah)
I do remember Monte hunting with a Pillar Reale and I do remember looking at the half-dime amazed at the detail compared to the worn state of my seated dimes. It really is one of those stunning coins.
Yes, that was the Tesoro-built turn-on-and-go Pillar 1 Reale that snagged my one and only Capped Bust coin so far. It was only kind of stunning because cleaning it the salt contamination in that region left some pits in it, but otherwise for that old a coin out there it isn't bad.

Rich (Utah)
BTW, Monte just picked up a well cared for Bandido from Richard at backwoods detectors, that I saw posted on FM just a little late, otherwise I would have picked it up. (Monte, let me know if you want to make a deal on that nice little Bandido,)
I just this moment checked and that Bandido is "out-for-delivery" and I should have it within the next 1-2 hours!

I'll give it a good check-over and, guess what, ..... I just might have another 'original' Bandido coming my way soon in a deal I am working on. grinning smiley I have a use for it, but not a need for it, so I just might be encouraged to shoot you an e-mail when things happen. thumbs up

Rich (Utah)
I need to get my detecting closet in order. My detector situation has been in disarray since last summer when I sold my e-trac looking to change things up a bit. I picked up a detector here and there and before I knew it I had several to mess around with but not one that would be my GO TO. My temporary lead machine while I was trying to decide on which way to go was the MXT I brought out to the WTHO last September. Pretty Good detector, but not the right fit for my hunting. A local guy bought my MXT and coils this last weekend. And I need to get a CZ-6a sold.
The MXT and MXT Pro are good detectors, and I relied on my MXT All-Pro, along with a couple of favorite Tesoro models, until I was amazed by the Nokta FORS CoRe performance on my NBPT and other comparison testing. Then the Makro Racer came and the MXT All-Pro and MX5 and other detectors were g-o-n-e!

As noted below I have done some thinning out of my detector battery as well and added to it a bit as desired.

Rich (Utah)
I am still standing at the crossroads of indecision. The new IMPACT looks pretty good. It is lefty friendly and appears to have all the Racer II and Relic offer, plus some.
The Impact IS a very good and versatile detector. But I know some avid detectorists might not have a use or need for all the adjustment options and might fine one or two other models, as found in my carry battery, satisfactory for most of their hunting wants and needs.

When I get down that way I will let you know and you can check out any of what I travel with, which naturally will include the Impact.

Rich (Utah)
I hesitate though, wondering if Fisher is going to reveal their latest greatest now that detecting season is here for 2017.
I am also wondering what they might do, both at Fisher and Teknetics in the way of an up-line models. Not the newly refashioned lower-end priced offerings of blended brands under one brand name. They might want to pay attention to their DP, ICG and BQ departments as I have encountered issues in recent years with several of the FTP offerings.

What am I referring to? I mean their Durable Plastic devision, their Internal Circuitry Glitch designs and outward Build Quality. I really like the current Teknetics T2 'Classic' w/5" DD coil, but have had troubles, or know of friends who have had troubles, with other models in all three brands they produce.

Rich (Utah)
And the XP Deus still seems to be gathering members and guys that use them do well.
I know of a couple of XP Deus detectors thst gathered dust as they were used less and less as the owners came to not like them and prefered other detectors, and one reason was the lack of a smaller-size coil for trashier places.

Rich (Utah)
Which way to turn!?
Old site, good detector with the best coil for what challenges exist, and devoting a lot of time and patience.

Rich (Utah)
Right now, I am trying to rearrange my work schedule so I can be at one or both of Montes WTHO's. My 2nd quarter schedule just came out and they have me working ONLY 2 weekend for the 2nd quarter. And both weekends are the same weekends as NV and OR. Nice.
I really hope you can make One WTHO or BOTH WTHO's. In your case, which that beautiful artifact you found in 'South Town' Nevada last year (considering where we based the outing at), I am sure the May Nevada Outing would have a lot of appeal. The 3-Town Eastern Oregon outing in June, however, ought to be another interesting adventure.

Rich (Utah)
Hoping to see you and the rest at Wells if you can make it.

Rich -
Come and join a lot of very interesting detecting folks for a lot of fun! 5th WTHO is just 2 months from today!!!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic,
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte's Challenge ....and surprising results. Attachments

OregonGregg 1353 March 07, 2017 03:16PM

Yes, the results were surprising in some respects, and here they are (with some necessary edits):

Monte 1461 March 08, 2017 03:57PM

Re: Yes, the results were surprising in some respects, and here they are (with some necessary edits):

Nokta and Makro 677 April 05, 2017 05:28AM

Re: I'm not surprised that the original Silver Sabre was in the top 5 winnerswinking smiley

Hombre 801 March 09, 2017 08:29AM

Hombre, that old 'original' Silver Sabre,

Monte 793 March 09, 2017 09:07AM

Re: Hombre, that old 'original' Silver Sabre,

Hombre 663 April 05, 2017 10:47AM

WM6 610 April 05, 2017 12:15PM

Hombre 650 April 06, 2017 08:08AM

WM6 572 April 06, 2017 01:33PM

Hihosilver 639 April 05, 2017 07:39PM

WM6 537 April 06, 2017 01:35AM

Good hunting spots are just as important as a good metal detector and knowing that machine like the back of your hand.thumbs up

Hombre 559 March 09, 2017 09:53AM

Re: Good hunting spots are just as important as a good metal detector and knowing that machine like the back of your hand.thumbs up

RickUK 687 March 12, 2017 03:39AM

Re: Good hunting spots are just as important as a good metal detector and knowing that machine like the back of your hand.thumbs up

NWCindy 552 March 12, 2017 09:47AM

NWCindy 659 March 12, 2017 12:27PM

jmaryt 506 March 12, 2017 02:30AM

Re: Yes, the results were surprising in some respects, and here they are:

WM6 648 March 08, 2017 07:08PM

WM6 I was also surprised and figured out the propblem.

Monte 689 March 09, 2017 09:19AM

Re: Yes, the results were surprising in some respects, and here they are:

Remfire 685 March 08, 2017 06:52PM

Remfire, the NEL Snake coil seemed to have an edge

Monte 721 March 09, 2017 08:37AM

What we have here is

OregonGregg 579 March 09, 2017 09:38AM

We'll be standing by for the report

Remfire 551 March 09, 2017 03:08PM

Re: What we have here is

D&P-OR 676 March 09, 2017 10:22AM

How much do I want.......a bunch cool smiley

OregonGregg 765 March 09, 2017 02:11PM

Re: What we have here is

RickUK 657 March 09, 2017 09:54AM

RickUK, your hunch is right.

OregonGregg 640 March 10, 2017 04:45PM

Yes, but RickUK's "hunch" happend to be right for

Monte 581 March 11, 2017 09:12AM

Re: RickUK, your hunch is right.

Kickindirt 606 March 10, 2017 07:38PM

"I'll take separation over depth 99% of the time." ... My feelings, also.

Monte 569 March 14, 2017 02:47AM

Here ya go Remfire

OregonGregg 669 March 08, 2017 07:15PM

Re: and surprising results.

Kickindirt 691 March 08, 2017 09:53AM

Results and th Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil.

Monte 831 March 08, 2017 10:31AM

Re: Results and th Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil.

Kickindirt 631 March 08, 2017 11:05AM

Re: Monte's Challenge ....and surprising results.

OregonGregg 662 March 07, 2017 11:50PM

WM6 503 March 08, 2017 06:56AM

WM6, a few quick replies.

Monte 541 March 08, 2017 10:05AM

D&P-OR 649 March 07, 2017 08:32PM

WM6 677 March 07, 2017 08:22PM

DW-BGW 752 March 07, 2017 06:26PM

Monte's Challenge ....and surprising results.

UtahRich 598 March 07, 2017 04:41PM

A memorable two days at that wonderful ghost town!

Monte 554 March 08, 2017 04:10PM

OregonGregg 631 March 07, 2017 11:53PM

Monte's Challenge ....and surprising results.

UtahRich 559 March 15, 2017 10:26PM

Comments for Rich(UT)

Monte 781 March 16, 2017 08:13AM

Rich(UT), a Tesoro Bandido update.

Monte 670 March 16, 2017 10:28AM

Re: Comments for Rich(UT)

OregonGregg 673 March 16, 2017 09:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018