Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lobo ST and the Disc. mode GB adjustment.

April 25, 2017 06:21PM avatar
It's too bad a sharp engineer like Dave Johnson didn't incorporate Disc. mode in the tracking GB circuitry with the Lobo SuperTRAQ, or just design it with a manual GB for the Disc. mode. I know the one I had frustrated me because it required a Disc. setting something like 1½-2 on the Disc. level control setting in order to deal with the ground mineral signal regardless of where I tried to hunt with it.

When on a 'vacation' down to Az. I made a trip to Prescott to discuss the LST with them and get it corrected. I had heard of a fellow down in the Florida area who was a very devoted Beach Hunter and liked the LST, but not the preset GB in the Disc. mode. So he did his own modification to add an external GB control to manually set the GB for the Disc. mode. However, he also had to do something else internally but I am not sure what.

I discussed this with the service tech at Tesoro when he brought my Lobo ST back out to me that afternoon when I went to pick it up. I believe his name was Carl, but I could be wrong. Anyway, he said that Yes, my LST Disc. mode needed correcting, but it required the adjustment of two (2) internal trimmers for the GB.

The way I see it, a detector is-what-it-is and ought to be left alone. The only detector modification I ever cared for was the 'Mr. Bill' mods to a White's Classic III SL, Classic ID and IDX Pro to add 1-turn GB and 1-turn Threshold Tuner external controls.

If someone wants a Silver Sabre µMAX w/external GB, just buy a Bandido II µMAX. If you have a Silver Sabre II and want manual GB, just buy an original Bandido or Bandido II. Want a Cibola modified to have manual GB? Just go by a Vaquero. A detector is-what-it-is and there are many options out there to choose from. Get a Lobo ST 'tweaked' to function with all the search coils you have for it and that should suffice.

My thoughts,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq : Is it worth its weight in Gold...?

Pablo61 315 April 24, 2017 05:44AM

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq : Is it worth its weight in Gold...?

Rich (Utah) 260 April 24, 2017 06:48PM

modify a LST..?

pinenut 229 April 25, 2017 09:50AM

Lobo ST and the Disc. mode GB adjustment.

Monte 237 April 25, 2017 06:21PM

Re: modify a LST..?

Pablo61 211 April 25, 2017 12:51PM

The Tesoro LST was one of my main-use detectors back in 1999,

Monte 297 April 24, 2017 06:48AM

Re: The Tesoro LST was one of my main-use detectors back in 1999,

Pablo61 202 April 25, 2017 12:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016