Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is a Nokta Impact? Well, to me, it is

October 08, 2017 03:03AM avatar
one of the best all-purpose detectors I have owned in my 52½ years of avid, active detecting.

DirtDigger
I ordered it Tuesday directly from Turkey, and I wasn't expecting it to arrive until at least a week or so. We were gone all day yesterday and when we got home it was sitting on our doorstep.
Most likely that was faster service that you'd get from our USA based, big deal marketer way down in Florida.

DirtDigger
The first thing that I noticed after putting it all together was how well balanced it was. It has the best balance of any detector that I have ever used. So it should be very easy on my tired old back.
Like you, I have had to be more attentive to weight and balance, resulting in comfort and reduced stress when detecting thanks to age, injuries and just dealing with a really bad back, neck and shoulder for thirty years now.

Also like you, I maintain a Tesoro Bandido II microMAX, high-tone Vaquero and Mojave in my Regular-Use Detector Team along with a Silver Sabre microMAX for the simple fact that they proved exceptional performance and are in a light weight and well balanced package.

Now you are somewhat like me, with the addition of the excellent Nokta Impact to your detector arsenal. My primary-use detector group also needs to have models that provide me Visual and Audio Target ID, as well as versatility in a comfortable physical package, that allows me to keep searching as long as possible without fatigue or pain.

Sharing this main-use category are the Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic which also provide great balance and reduced fatigue ... and while I always have at least one Impact, one Relic, one CoRe and one Tesoro loaded in any vehicle, the Impact seems to be the 'first-grabbed' unit most often so far this summer and into fall.

DirtDigger
So far, I have changed the depth from centimeters to inches, and in DI3, I changed the upper tone break from 66 to 70 so that zinc pennies are in the middle tone. I am sure that I will have some questions for Monte after I use it for a while.
I am sure that as you work with the Impact, a little at a time you'll settle on the various mode settings that seem to work best for you. That's one of the great things about this model, that you have a very functional set of adjustment features, and you can easily tweak things while on-the-go.

In trashier sites, where I generally hunt, the Di3 mode is my turn-on preference since I use a smaller-size search coil. With the Pro Pack you'll have the 4X7½ DD that should help a lot in dense litter. With a mid-sized coil, like the new 5X9½ DD that I really enjoy in low-to-modest trashy places, I usually use Di2 but also frequently select Di3 just to help audibly assign a lot of the favorable targets I am after.

As mentioned, I use Di3 mode most often, also using smaller coils most often, and also hunting in very trashy sites that are especially loaded with a lot of nails, rusty tin and other ferrous debris. Additionally, most selected sites are older period use places which means I am most likely to find early mintage US 1¢ coins such as Indian Head or Wheat-Back cents that date from 1864 to about 1920.

Unfortunately, due to the source and foundry processing of metals for these old pennies from that period of time, they share a conductivity level that is similar to our modern US Zinc Cent. Therefore, I have my Di3 Tone Breaks set for '15' (the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break point) and '62' (to assign the High-Tone to include modern Zinc's as well as very early Wheat-Backs and most Indian Head's).

Other than that function setting, I have my turn-on Gain at '99', the Disc. at '03', Ferrous Volume set at '02' and Audio Tone assignments of '15', '40' and '70'. Other settings as desired, and I use a short-stroke side-to-side sweep of about 24" to 40" with a slow and methodical sweep speed and overlapping.

Keep us informed of your progress as you use and learn your Impact, and I wish you the best of weather to hunt in. I much prefer the generally drier and lower humidity I live in here in the Eastern Oregon area to the wetter, cloudier and more humid days that frequent your side of the state. I'll give you the 'edge' however in that I always found more favorable, and plentiful, Coin & Jewelry Hunting opportunities when I lived over that direction.

From a very loyal Nokta fan and dedicated Impact user,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Just got a Nokta Impact

DirtDigger 126 October 07, 2017 01:01PM

What is a Nokta Impact? Well, to me, it is

Monte 113 October 08, 2017 03:03AM

Re: Just got a Nokta Impact

Sodbuster 81 October 07, 2017 08:14PM

Re: Just got a Nokta Impact

DirtDigger 80 October 07, 2017 11:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016