Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tools and techniques for Target retrieval. What we should and should not use.

June 05, 2018 05:47PM avatar
Naturally, the first thing we should master is learning and knowing our metal detectors so that we can effectively pinpoint or isolate at target.

This involves learning how to use the all metal pinpoint function, and also learn how to size and shape a target. Keep in mind that sometimes we use a concentric type coil and other times a double D coil, and they each have their strengths and weaknesses in performance. For pinpointing, the concentric design is generally better. And for sizing and shaping and isolating a Target, well I can use both coil types okay I still prefer the concentric design, especially when dealing with rusting tin and other iron targets.

Most of the time hobbyists are searching for coins, trade tokens, jewelry items, and other similar smaller~sized objects. Therefore with a little practice we should be able to identify an object audibly to see if it is a narrow coin type response or a larger size object. If we're strictly coin hunting we can use that technique to eliminate fussing around with bigger unwanted targets.

For those who use a handheld electronic pinpointer, they should make sure they know how to use it efficiently to isolate at Target without disturbing the ground too much.

And that brings us to Target recovery. I rely on a rounded tip screwdriver for 90% of my target recoveries when I am hunting in a will cared for, manicured lawn. If I'm unable to isolate the Targettargets pry it from the ground with a screwdriver, then I will use as a small handheld recovery tool to make a proper sized plug to remove the Target and then replace the plug so there is no obvious disturbance.

If I am Relic hunting, or working any rough texture type site that is comprised of dirt or dirt and rock and not well-manicured lawn, then my recovery tools would either be a handheld digger or a relic hunting shovel. And once again it is important to remember to fill holes and tidy up the site when we're done with the recovery even if it is not a well-manicured lawn.

It's up to each and every individual to take the time and learn how to isolate a Target, how to recover a Target, and then how to clean the site up when we're done so that there's no obvious sign of disturbance. There's nothing worse then wandering into a site to hunt only to find someone had been there before you who made terrible plugs that were like pie plate size but shallow and they are easily scuffed away or sucked up, chewed up, and spit out my lawn mowers leaving an ugly scar on the ground.

It's because of poor Target recovery that's so many places have either placed parks and schools off limits to metal detecting, or the entity has decided to issue permits that you have to carry with you and show upon demand while out detecting. It's bad enough that so many places have been hunted for decades and are now just about void of any silver coins or older error coins to find, or very thinned down in that regard, only to have potential sites put off limits simply due to the carelessness of those who use the wrong tools, or recovery techniques, that leave a site looking ugly.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 10:11PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Tools and techniques for Target retrieval. What we should and should not use.

Monte 307 June 05, 2018 05:47PM

Re: Tools and techniques for Target retrieval. What we should and should not use.

jmaryt 115 August 09, 2018 11:39AM

Recovery Tools and the RIGHT Selection - Appearances

Rich (Utah) 260 June 05, 2018 10:14PM

Re: Recovery Tools and the RIGHT Selection - Appearances

jmaryt 98 August 09, 2018 12:01PM

Rich (Utah) 124 August 09, 2018 03:49PM

jmaryt 116 August 09, 2018 04:32PM

jmaryt 121 August 09, 2018 11:50AM

Sodbuster 143 August 11, 2018 03:54PM

jmaryt 134 August 11, 2018 04:46PM

jmaryt 115 August 09, 2018 11:46AM

I agree with you Rich, and will just add three comments.

Monte 208 June 06, 2018 02:43PM

Re: I agree with you Rich, and will just add three comments.

jmaryt 106 August 14, 2018 10:21AM

. . . a final comment on recovery and recovery techniques.

Rich (Utah) 92 August 14, 2018 07:45PM

Re: . . . a final comment on recovery and recovery techniques.

jmaryt 74 August 14, 2018 09:03PM

Re: I agree with you Rich, and will just add three comments.

bevelhead 182 June 11, 2018 02:52PM

Re: the slit recovery method thumbs up

Sodbuster 123 August 11, 2018 02:57PM

Re: the slit recovery method thumbs up

jmaryt 98 August 11, 2018 04:53PM

NWCindy 204 June 06, 2018 01:57PM

jmaryt 89 August 09, 2018 12:11PM

NWCindy 198 June 06, 2018 01:54PM

jmaryt 90 August 09, 2018 12:16PM

Following Local rules -

Rich (Utah) 199 June 06, 2018 04:12PM

In response to Rich(Utah)

silverhound2 204 June 05, 2018 10:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

WM6
Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018