Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

June 30, 2018 10:21AM avatar
Keep in mind that I have my Regular-Use Detector Team comprised with older and current models, namely the White's XLT, modified Classic ID and a pair of MX-7's, a Makro Racer 2, and a set of Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic units, plus the Tesoro Bandido II, Mojave and Vaquero.

I also have my Specialty-Use Detectors that are for more specific applications, and some I have are also used for demonstration in my seminars or group presentations. They span from modern waterproof models to my BFO and TR models from the latter '60s to '70s era, with a traditional Garrett Hunter BFO, straight TR Compass Coin Hustler, and now a sample from the next progression to TR-Discrimination.

Although I will put my new-to-me Garrett TR-Disc. in with my Specialty-Use Team, there is no doubt that I will also take it afield on occasion just as I do my other very dated offerings from "the good old days" of metal detecting. I am still in the search for a couple of other old, very hard to find, but memorable for me models, from both White's and Garrett.

If any reader knows where I can find one, at a reasonable and affordable price since most of the older designs the manufacturers no longer repair, please contact me. The two units are a White's GhostTowner BFO with the small red wooden search coil, and the Garrett American S2 TR-Disc. unit.

The real tricky part if that not only are these oldies difficult to find, but they have to be in very well pampered physical condition and also be complete and work properly. I pamper all my detectors and even the older devices I own are still in about 95% condition to about showroom status ... and work well. I see a lot of detectors listed on various classifieds and the photos would be embarrassing if that unit was mine. A lot of chipped and worn paint, decals torn, scratched, peeling or missing.

Foam grips or arm cup pads that are also worn, chipped, torn or even missing. Taped up coil cables, battery doors or openings covered with tape, and all too often the arm cup strap, search coils, rods and the entire control housing and visual display are dirty and sometimes caked with mud.

I've been avidly detecting for over fifty-three years now and never, absolutely never, have any of my detectors looked so terrible as many that I see. Because I care for my detectors appearance and physical condition, that alone makes it hard for me to find any favorite older detectors, and then on top of that they have to work ... properly.

The White's GhostTowner BFO I am looking for will fill the memory spot as being the first factory-produced detector I worked with in the summer of 1968. I had used home-built units since early '65 and that first White's model came at a perfect time as I had "moved back home" to Ogden, Utah and the pickin's were terrific! And they stayed very decent on through the '70s and into the early-to-mid '80s.

There was a lot of fast progress in detector design and advancement in those early days, and while I was mainly relying on a Garrett VLF/TR-Disc. Ground Hog and a few competitor's units from '77, I surprised a lot of people with the coin and jewelry finds I was making with the smaller-size Garrett American TR-Disc. model on into '82. Just a handy-sized and 'simple' TR I kept in my vehicle at all times should any opportunity to work a site pop up. It used a 7½" coil and operated at 50 kHz and kept a 'fun factor' in metal detecting.

So, there is one ancient BFO and very dated, budget-priced TR that I am still trying hard to find, in near perfect condition and working excellent. If you come across one, or both, please let me know.

Thanks,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Monte 277 June 30, 2018 10:21AM

Rich (Utah) 210 June 30, 2018 05:07PM

Re: Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Kickindirt 156 July 01, 2018 11:06PM

Re: Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Sodbuster 157 July 05, 2018 10:32AM

D&P-OR 146 July 05, 2018 07:46PM

Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth . . . .

Rich (Utah) 111 July 11, 2018 05:16PM

Detectors and such -

Rich (Utah) 186 July 02, 2018 12:05PM

To tell the truth, there are a few reasons why they aren't.

Monte 189 July 02, 2018 12:27AM

Re: To tell the truth, there are a few reasons why they aren't.

Kickindirt 184 July 02, 2018 09:29PM

? .. Trade the G2+ and get a T2 Classic or the new T2 + ???

Monte 145 July 02, 2018 10:20PM

Re: ? .. Trade the G2+ and get a T2 Classic or the new T2 + ???

Kickindirt 180 July 03, 2018 03:14PM

Yes, Rich, it was kind of a 'teaser' post.

Monte 184 July 01, 2018 08:56AM

What ? A Garrett AT Max ?

Rich (Utah) 178 July 02, 2018 03:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018