Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To tell the truth, there are a few reasons why they aren't.

July 02, 2018 12:27AM avatar
Kickindirt
Rich if Monte choose machines by pure performance only he would have a Eq 800 no doubt. U and I know this.
The last time I checked, I haven't seen Rich unloading his other models so the EQ 800 doesn't seem to fit all of his wants and needs.

Kickindirt
Also a Xp deus would be in his regular lineup. prob be the only 2 he would use.
The XP Déus has its own shortcomings when I refer to my checklist. I don't have a long checklist, but there are enough qualifiers on it to pass or fail some makes and models rather easily.

1st.. The EQ 800 and Déus couldn't be the only two models in my detector battery because since July of '83 and on into the future, there will always be at least one or two Tesoro favorites. A good Tesoro with a 6" or 7" Concentric coil will do things for some of the places I hunt that challenge most contenders.

2nd.. My hearing has been bad for a long time. The USAF told me every year, from '82 thru '86, that I was deaf and failed the hearing tests for full-time civilian employment at Hill AFB. I got the same reports several other times to include treatment for a worker comp on-the-job injury in June of 2010 when I ruptured my right eardrum which healed with scar tissue. Due to my impaired hearing I have to do two things:

• Use two or three selected headphones that work well for the different makes and models of detectors I use.

• Be selective of the audio tone and quality of the individual detectors and their various tone mode choices.

I haven't used an Equinox to learn if I like its audio or not, but I have checked out the Déus audio and I just don't care for it, so that one got a checkmark in the 'No' column.

3rd.. I do contract searches and have done so since late 1971. Several of them, especially through the '70s and '80s, were for hidden silver coin caches. A few were presumed to be in leather or cloth bags so no other metal was considered to be involved. Therefore, for over forty-six years two or three of my evaluation scenarios involves small to moderate-size containers of US 90% silver coins.

You know, kind of like that test sample I set out at two WTHO's this year where Minelab E-Trac, CTX-3030, Equinox 800 and XP-Déus models failed to produce a decent audio response on it. The container with 5 Walking Liberty Halves stacked on top of a 1922 Peace Dollar.

Now I admit that two Nokta models and one Makro model also do not hit on that test sample, but they do have an audio quality that I like, and they are also not impaired by #4 and #5 on my checklist. All my other makes and models hit on that small silver sample beautifully.

4th.. Most of the time I am hunting sites with dense brush and building rubble, and especially with ample debris with a heavy nail and iron mix. Due to that I use smaller-size search coils, and I have favored coils in the 5" to 7" size range the majority of the time since '68. How many smaller-size coils are there for the Déus and EQ 800? And just how expensive might they be, if any are available?

5.. I do not use rechargeable batteries. I rely on models with decent battery life and prefer to use Alkaline batteries, of which I have an ample supply of. Very ample! I do not like the multi-device XP design with a few piece that require recharging, and I also don't like the Minelab approach on the '800.'

6.. I also like models that fit my 3-point requirement, and that is being 'Simple,' 'Functional, and providing 'Performance.' I don't like to tinker around with a lot of feature adjustment functions, and I also like to invite friends and family to join me on some detecting jaunts. That means I need my detectors to be Simple and easy for a novice to use, and all of mine are.

7.. And one of the last check-points is that a detector has to 'feel good' for me and kind of instill that 'fun factor' in my hunting. If a particular model is too 'busy' or just seems heavy or awkward or plain old annoying, it isn't going to fit in my arsenal.

Am I saying the Equinox models or the Déus are bad detectors? No, not for everyone as I am certain they are going to be likeable models for quite a few folks. Not everyone likes a display-free Tesoro, but I sure like some of them for many applications. There are many detectors I have had and do like, to some extent or at least for certain applications or with specific search coils, and I might even add one or two of them back into my detector group in the future, such as a Teknetics T2 Classic w/5" DD coil.

Nope, I don't mind there being detectors out there that I don't like because I know some others will, and that's what I like to see. People who like the detectors they own and use because that's going to keep them active in this sport and if they like the detector then they will get enjoyment out of the hobby. So, I'll just be content with my array of older to newer models that seem to make me happy and fit my wants and needs .... and use my Alkaline batteries. grinning smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Monte 282 June 30, 2018 10:21AM

Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Rich (Utah) 216 June 30, 2018 05:07PM

Re: Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Kickindirt 158 July 01, 2018 11:06PM

Re: Well, I went and did it. Added one more detector to my arsenal.eye rolling smiley

Sodbuster 166 July 05, 2018 10:32AM

D&P-OR 149 July 05, 2018 07:46PM

Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth . . . .

Rich (Utah) 115 July 11, 2018 05:16PM

Detectors and such -

Rich (Utah) 190 July 02, 2018 12:05PM

To tell the truth, there are a few reasons why they aren't.

Monte 191 July 02, 2018 12:27AM

Re: To tell the truth, there are a few reasons why they aren't.

Kickindirt 189 July 02, 2018 09:29PM

? .. Trade the G2+ and get a T2 Classic or the new T2 + ???

Monte 146 July 02, 2018 10:20PM

Re: ? .. Trade the G2+ and get a T2 Classic or the new T2 + ???

Kickindirt 183 July 03, 2018 03:14PM

Yes, Rich, it was kind of a 'teaser' post.

Monte 189 July 01, 2018 08:56AM

What ? A Garrett AT Max ?

Rich (Utah) 179 July 02, 2018 03:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018