Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Standards by which to compare? Detector University . .

September 17, 2018 05:58PM
Monte
I have certain detector models and most often used search coils in my Detector Team that I use to compare all makes and models, be them older devices, current offerings, or test units I get for evaluation. Through the years I trim some models from my arsenal and don't miss them, but at times some of them held a special interest for me and I finally brought myself to add an old favorite unit back on my 'Team.'

Now keep in mind that I know there is no single do-it-all-great detector that is 'perfect' for all my needs, but what I own and use has to provide ample in-the-field performance with preferred search coils in order to make a nice fit in my outfit. That way what I have complements each other as a group, and as a whole they make a nice array of makes and models, features and performance, to do some decent comparisons with other available or prototype detectors.

Of course we have to know just what it is we want and need in the way of performance and that means we have to have a good understanding of the types of trash targets we are likely to encounter at the types of places we like to search.

I enjoy urban Coin Hunting at times and every make and model I own and use can easily hold their own for most typical hunting needs. Most of those places have a fair amount of discarded trash or call for working in and around metal structures, so using smaller search coils is a must for me. Of my current 10 detector models I have an 'OOR' DD on a Nokta CoRe, 5" DD on a Nokta Relic, a 5½" Concentric on a modified Classic ID, 6" Concentrics on my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, a 6½" Concentrics on my White's XLT and MX-7, and a 7" Concentric on a Teknetics Omega 8000 and Nokta Anfibio series unit.

Yes, that's only 9 models out of 10 and the final device is my other Nokta CoRe that keeps a 5X9½ DD mid-sized open-frame coil mounted. I have an Accessory Coil Tote that has the extra coils on lower rods ready to go for these models, but I do not have a lot of extra coils per model. Only what is necessary for the different hunting needs I might have for that particular unit. Yes, I have some standard or larger-size coils, but not many, only what is needed.

The other thing I found useful long, long ago was using several 'test samples' that mimic different scenarios I encounter afield, and I have those on-hand to do side-by-side comparisons between what I own and use and what the detector manufacturers are trying to convince me I ought to buy. Quite often, they are wrong and not very persuasive.

I know many might wonder about 'test gardens' and if I have any planted, and that answer is No, I don't.

Instead, I rely on taking detectors afield and using them in natural settings to try and locate lost targets that can be at unknown depths and in unknown positions and orientation to the coil, with the possibility of being isolated or perhaps in amongst different types of trash. Out there in the vast urban and remote locations are so many good and bad targets, clean signaling or partially masked, that I never found a need to waste my time planting a coin garden. Besides, I find a lot of 'keepers' that aren't coins of a known size, shape and alloy content and sure can't try to hide them all.

Do YOU have some established test and comparison procedures? Particular detectors and search coils you like to use to see how other detectors might match up? Just remember to not get caught up in a lot of marketing hype and think that everything new is better than what you are using because, often times, it isn't. You just might have a more fitting outfit right now, but having some established testing procedures can help confirm that.

Monte

Standards of measurement by which to compare? Yes. The detectors I currently use. I am pretty picky about what I use. I currently have an Etrac. an EQ800. a Makro Racer 2 and a Nokta FORS CoRe. These 4 detectors cover my hunting of old yards, parks, schools, parking strips, abandoned lots, construction sites, ghost towns, railroad towns, stage stops and the rest. Each of these detectors has skills.

I have other detectors as well that also have 'skills', but three of my four detectors listed above are new to me in the last 18 months and I am still working on gaining a level of expertise with them.

For me, Proving a new Detector as a keeper can take some time in the field. The ultimate test is whether or not I find stuff with it. Playing a part in the likability of the detector are the audio and visual ID's, ergonomics, build quality/design, reliability, user interface, available coil selection, detector power source and manufacture support. A detector that performs really well & is pleasant to use is typically a potential keeper. Unfortunately, I can't keep all good/great detectors. My wife does expect me to keep the numbers of detectors to a manageable few that I actively use. So I probably need to do a little pruning of my detector tree. Always a hard thing to do

Coin Gardens / Detector University:

I see the usefulness of having a coin garden for testing and experimenting and will have at least a small one when my wife and I get settled in our retirement house which is in-process. But like Monte, I prefer to use a detector in the field to ultimately determine whether it is a keeper. There are near infinite conditions in the field that become our laboratory portion of Detector University.

Just my viewpoint on things. As always, I reserve the right to update my knowledge of things and perhaps even change an opinion. thumbs up

Rich (Utah)

** UNDER CONSTRUCTION **

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 06:00PM by Rich (Utah).
Subject Author Views Posted

Old Vs New .. Do YOU have some 'standards' by which you compare performance?

Monte 157 September 17, 2018 08:21AM

Re: Old Vs New .. Do YOU have some 'standards' by which you compare performance?

Hombre 94 September 20, 2018 09:36PM

'Yep' to your comments and I'll add a little.

Monte 76 September 21, 2018 05:41AM

Re: Old Vs New .. Do YOU have some 'standards' by which you compare performance?

WM6 100 September 19, 2018 05:24AM

'Thank You' WM6 for your response to this topic.

Monte 77 September 19, 2018 07:48AM

Re: 'Thank You' WM6 for your response to this topic.

WM6 84 September 20, 2018 06:36AM

Hmmm OLD vs NEW

OregonGregg 80 September 21, 2018 06:47AM

Re: Hmmm OLD vs NEW

WM6 71 September 21, 2018 10:06AM

jmaryt 63 September 22, 2018 07:14AM

OregonGregg 86 September 22, 2018 06:45AM

WM6 67 September 23, 2018 04:33AM

jmaryt 84 September 22, 2018 07:18AM

jmaryt 105 September 18, 2018 01:25AM

Standards by which to compare? Detector University . .

Rich (Utah) 119 September 17, 2018 05:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018