Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Old Vs New .. Do YOU have some 'standards' by which you compare performance?

WM6
September 19, 2018 05:24AM
There are different approach to test metal detectors.

One of easiest way, but usually pretty far from "in field reality" is air test.
Air tests can tell us, if detector works properly, but cannot tell us how it perform in real field.

Other widely used and pretty close to real in field condition is test with (usually in backyard)
long time buried targets. Quite real test, but has his cons: problem with targets position after
time, soil is a living thing and target can be mowed by water streams, rodents etc., we cannot
assure constant soil conditions as: level of humidity, mineralisation, micro-biotic system status
etc., therefore results obtained in bigger time intervals between each test are not comparable.

But we test to compare detectors.

Most of treasure/coin hunters are in first line interested in detector depth and then other stuff
like recovery speed, target ID, unmasking etc.
So we need something like standardized soil to assure equal testing conditions and comparable
results over different time intervals. After testing different possibilities, I decided to use for this
purpose expanded clay by brand name LIAPOR.
Web site of producer: [www.liapor.com]

This expanded clay granulate, born in fire, is equal to very high mineralised soil. So near to
usual prospecting soil conditions. If we remember famous Roman brick, made out of clay too,
then we know that this two materials have much in common.

Using expanded clay as testing substrate I can assure equal testing conditions to all tested
detectors no matter of time intervals between tests and in such way to ensure comparable results.

My first testing plant was someway limited regarding coil sweeping space over it, which can
lead by some GEB sensitive detector to some unwanted instability:

With new testing plant, I overcome those coil sweeping limitations:

Testing targets are fixed to the end of tailor meters and can be easily immersed by hand in
testing substrate and then slowly pulled out, till clear detecting in both coil sweeping directions:

My standard testing samples are:

- 0.1gram genuine gold nugget
- 1.1gram genuine gold nugget
- 1.1gram gold pendant 15mm of diameter
- silver coin 30mm in diameter

I perform cache (hoard) tests by using 5.5kg of different coins in ceramic pot placed
under 50cm of expanded clay substrate:

Additionally as regular test I perform general depth capability test on buried beer can in field
at depth of 55cm:

For testing detectors unmasking capabilities old rusty wedge together with silver coin are used:

And additional NBPT test is always here for extended testing consult[www.ahrps.org] (thanks Monte):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 05:30AM by WM6.
Subject Author Views Posted

Old Vs New .. Do YOU have some 'standards' by which you compare performance?

Monte 152 September 17, 2018 08:21AM

Re: Old Vs New .. Do YOU have some 'standards' by which you compare performance?

Hombre 90 September 20, 2018 09:36PM

'Yep' to your comments and I'll add a little.

Monte 73 September 21, 2018 05:41AM

WM6 98 September 19, 2018 05:24AM

'Thank You' WM6 for your response to this topic.

Monte 74 September 19, 2018 07:48AM

Re: 'Thank You' WM6 for your response to this topic.

WM6 81 September 20, 2018 06:36AM

Hmmm OLD vs NEW

OregonGregg 76 September 21, 2018 06:47AM

Re: Hmmm OLD vs NEW

WM6 69 September 21, 2018 10:06AM

jmaryt 61 September 22, 2018 07:14AM

OregonGregg 85 September 22, 2018 06:45AM

WM6 64 September 23, 2018 04:33AM

jmaryt 81 September 22, 2018 07:18AM

jmaryt 103 September 18, 2018 01:25AM

Standards by which to compare? Detector University . .

Rich (Utah) 117 September 17, 2018 05:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018