Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Randy, you are ooh so close! You got 4 out of 5.

September 22, 2018 06:55PM avatar
Hombre
Next guess, Compass Coin Hustler, Garrett Master Hunter, Nokta CoRe, Nokta Relic and White's MX7...
I took another look at my initial post and it's possible to have kind of read past one of them. In alphabetical order, the 5 detectors that passed this test and gave 4 solid responses on all 4 directions of sweep were:

Compass Coin Hustler with the standard 6" DD coil. This model is a straight TR and doesn't have adjustable Discrimination. By design these ± 100 kHz TR's just naturally ignore and null out on most iron nails, but signal beautifully on the target the nail is laying on. They were mainly produced during the '70s.

Garrett Master Hunter TR-Disc. w/8" DD coil. This model dates to about ± 1976 and was the top of the TR-Disc. models as the Master Hunter had two search coils, and also featured a variable Sensitivity control. Also operating close to 100 kHz this model has a selectable toggle switch for 'Discrimination' or 'Standard.' The variable Disc. circuitry has too much rejection at the minimum setting and was designed mainly for Coin Hunting needs to reject bothersome conductive trash that was mainly non-ferrous. I used the 'Standard' setting which doesn't use the Discriminate circuitry but instead works as a 'traditional' TR w/o Discrimination. Thus, it ignores most iron nails.

Garrett Money Hunter TR-Disc w/7" Coplaner coil (essentially Concentric and not DD design). I have the sales receipt for this model, sold new in '77, and it is similar to the Master Hunter except for the transition to a non-DD coil. It lacks a Sensitivity control, but it does feature the option of using TR-Disc, circuitry for foil and pull tabs and such, or 'Standard' non-discrimination TR operation. That's what I used and, like the Master Hunter version, the nail was ignored/rejected and I got 4 very solid response which is just what I knew it would do.

15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil. Discrimination set to reject the iron nail, and then I even increased it to the ferrous/non-ferrous break point, and that is a lot more Discrimination than necessary to reject the iron nail.

19 kHz Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil. Discrimination set to reject the iron nail, and then I even increased it to the ferrous/non-ferrous break point.

Because I Relic Hunt most of the time, and you now know the types of really dense iron debris I usually contend with. I like to use models such as my favorite Tesoro's, the White's Classic ID or IDX Pro, the MX-5 and MXT Pro, the Teknetics T2, and all of them with their smallest-size search coil. All of these models pass my Nail Board Performance Test so they are very good for my iron site hutting needs. However, I know that I had encountered a similar touch challenge once at a Utah ghost town hen an iron nail was on an Indian Head cent. Fortunately, I could see it on the surface, but was surprised that I only got a sputter 'ticky' sound one direction ... lengthwise down the nail.

So, after that in-the-field encounter, I use a similar 'test' when I evaluate any make or model detector just to see if they might be any good for my iron challenged sites. One model I read about on-line really interested me, and on January 2nd of 2015, close to midnight my time, I received an e-mail from a Dilek Gonulay of Nokta Detection Technologies in Turkey who inquired if I would like to evaluate the FORS CoRe.

That was the very model I was interested in and I had no idea who Dilek was, but immediately responded with a Yes! The FORS CoRe Pro Pack arrived in Arlington Oregon on January 8th! ... From Turkey! By this time I was doubly impressed with the company.

I immediately unpacked and assembled the CoRe, attached the small 4.7X5.2 coil I called an 'OOR' DD coil, then grabbed my test sample jar out of my seminar tote and began comparing the CoRe with my Tek. T2, Omega 8000, F19, F75, MX-5, MXT Pro, and naturally my favorite Tesoro models. I then took the models out to the lawn along with my Nail Board and an Indian Head Cent.

Within 24 hours I started putting my other detectors up for sale and by June I was down to my two Tesoro's that were NOT going to be sold, and my two favorite Coin Hunting units, the Omega 8000 and MX-5. Those were the last two to go because by then I also had an original Makro Racer in my arsenal.

Today my White's MX-7 is a favorite that I use for both Relic Hunting and Coin Hunting, and I've added an Omega 8000 V4 back in the outfit mainly for a light weight Coin Hunting device. But as long as I can hang in there and enjoy this great outdoor sport, my CoRe and Relic models are always going to be on-hand, regardless of any new products that come along. Matter of fact, new models have to go up against these two in my comparisons.

Hombre
I can't believe all the ones that failed like the Tesoros and Classic ID with that great little Ferret coil....
Yes, I know and I always hope for the best performance from my favorite White's and Tesoro's, but this is one tough test. As I have mentioned, the earlier Bandido, Bandido II and Silver Sabre II models that were out before the Low-Noise/High-Gain circuitry, sometimes handled really tough target masking a little better than the L-N/H-G Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX. I know that, but I prefer these two Tesoro's due to their lighter weight and I can hear the mid-depth and deeper targets better with their improved gain and audio response. One problem from being a bit deaf.

Like I said, my CoRe and Relic models are not going anywhere, except out to hunt old sites with me. And even though my modified Classic ID, MX-7, Omega 8000, Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX struggle on this one test, they also have their strengths that I can demonstrate and are also solid devices that are not going to be parted with until I can not go detecting anymore.

Monte

PS: For your benefit, I also tried a new MX-5 I acquired but am selling to thin my outfit, and with the 6½" coil it performed the same as the MX-7.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Early morning and this OLD guy just tinkered with OLD and NEW detectors.

Monte 213 September 21, 2018 08:58AM

TR & TR-Disc. -- Tuning .. related to this initial thread post.

Monte 102 September 26, 2018 05:27AM

Next guess, Compass Coin Hustler, Garrett Master Hunter, Nokta CoRe, Nokta Relic and White's MX7...

Hombre 107 September 22, 2018 05:36PM

Randy, you are ooh so close! You got 4 out of 5.

Monte 114 September 22, 2018 06:55PM

Re: Randy, you are ooh so close! You got 4 out of 5.

NWCindy 89 September 25, 2018 02:29PM

NWCindy, you are correct regarding a chance discovery.

Monte 97 September 26, 2018 07:19AM

Do I at least get a consolation prize?.............LOL

Hombre 93 September 22, 2018 08:29PM

A consolation prize? .... Never thouht of that, but here itn is:

Monte 120 September 23, 2018 11:17AM

Re: A consolation prize? .... Never thouht of that, but here itn is:

WM6 78 September 26, 2018 01:40PM

Working on a book, and other ideas. Thanks. N/T

Monte 90 September 26, 2018 05:31PM

That was interesting.

OregonGregg 111 September 24, 2018 07:15AM

Thanks for that history lesson & nice consolation prizethumbs up

Hombre 94 September 23, 2018 02:22PM

Don't be too alarmed, but this reply is brief.eye popping smiley

Monte 99 September 23, 2018 11:57PM

Re: Thanks for that history lesson & nice consolation prizethumbs up

jmaryt 124 September 23, 2018 11:18PM

Hi jmaryt ....lets talk about the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL Pro

Hombre 92 September 24, 2018 08:44AM

Re: Hi jmaryt ....lets talk about the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL Pro

jmaryt 91 September 24, 2018 11:43AM

Re: Early morning and this OLD guy just tinkered with OLD and NEW detectors.

Timbertodd 117 September 22, 2018 10:30AM

Timbertodd 98 September 22, 2018 06:24PM

Nice guess, Todd, but how many were correct?

Monte 74 September 22, 2018 05:11PM

My Guess

OregonGregg 115 September 22, 2018 06:33AM

Gregg, your 'guess' was correct, but only 1 of the 5.

Monte 111 September 22, 2018 08:12AM

jmaryt 99 September 21, 2018 11:48PM

j.t., about the Mojave w/7" Concentric

Monte 118 September 22, 2018 07:54AM

Re: j.t., about the Mojave w/7" Concentric

jmaryt 91 September 22, 2018 05:28PM

My pick for the 5 winnerssmiling smiley

Hombre 119 September 21, 2018 09:38AM

Randy you had two correct out of your five guesses.

Monte 111 September 21, 2018 02:53PM

Okay, I tried these other 4 models. confused smiley

Monte 111 September 21, 2018 04:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018